Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:13   #1
RHVEtte

What's a good price for RCBS 4x4 press?

Title pretty much says it all. What's a good price for the press and the shell holders?
Liberty is a candle in a tempest. It is a rare and beautiful thing that must be jealously guarded, lest it be snuffed out. And like the candle, Liberty under tyranny is difficult to reignite. -- undoubtedly said by someone smarter than I.
RHVEtte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:25   #2
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHVEtte View Post
Title pretty much says it all. What's a good price for the press and the shell holders?
A good price would be $0. RCBS makes great single stage presses; but for some reason their progressives have a load of problems. Starting with their Green Machine and working up to their Piggybacks, nothing but problems. Interesting ideas all of them. Green Machine is an inline progressive, Piggyback fit on top of a single stage to try and be a progressive add-on. 4x4 had it's issues as well. I'm sure you can find someone who made it work; but there's a reason that most progressives out there are blue or red; not green. BTW, I'd also worry about spares and shellplates.

On the other hand, you'll see lots of green single stages out there.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:54   #3
RHVEtte

What if I disable the auto-index? The guy who owns the local range has a 4x4 he converted to manual index and swears by it, but he bought the thing back when they were still making them, so he doesn't have any idea what a decent price is.
Liberty is a candle in a tempest. It is a rare and beautiful thing that must be jealously guarded, lest it be snuffed out. And like the candle, Liberty under tyranny is difficult to reignite. -- undoubtedly said by someone smarter than I.
Old 01-25-2010, 16:14   #4
sourdough44

Hey, I'm another 'auto 4x4' fan, though not as a progressive press. I bought it back in the early 90's or so. I 1st set it up progressive for 9mm. It worked O.K., only as such & took a while to change anything once set up. I almost sold it at one time. For years I've been using it as sorta a 'turret' press. I disabled the indexing, took the linkage out. I have shell plates for all I load for. You can get em, but have to look. Some of the last I bought were from Natchez, & midway, maybe Midsouth SS too. Call RCBS if you need one. I prime & powder charge away from the press with conventional tools. I like the idea of having all the dies set up at a time & ready to go. The press is very strong & well made.

My last shell plate was for a 300wsm, which I think came out after this press was no longer made. I checked the head dimensions and was able to get a plate that fits the 300wsm just fine. It is something like a 375 H&H or so.

Anyway, if you get a good price on the press & don't plan to use it progressive I think it would be great. You can sorta compare it to a regular 'turret' type press to get an idea. If your buying one, how about offering an even $100. We'll call it 'old stock'.

I think the shellholders were near $30 each new.

Last edited by sourdough44; 01-25-2010 at 16:20..
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 16:26   #5
RHVEtte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
Hey, I'm another 'auto 4x4' fan, though not as a progressive press. I bought it back in the early 90's or so. I 1st set it up progressive for 9mm. It worked O.K., only as such & took a while to change anything once set up. I almost sold it at one time. For years I've been using it as sorta a 'turret' press. I disabled the indexing, took the linkage out. I have shell plates for all I load for. You can get em, but have to look. Some of the last I bought were from Natchez, & midway, maybe Midsouth SS too. Call RCBS if you need one. I prime & powder charge away from the press with conventional tools. I like the idea of having all the dies set up at a time & ready to go. The press is very strong & well made.

My last shell plate was for a 300wsm, which I think came out after this press was no longer made. I checked the head dimensions and was able to get a plate that fits the 300wsm just fine. It is something like a 375 H&H or so.

Anyway, if you get a good price on the press & don't plan to use it progressive I think it would be great. You can sorta compare it to a regular 'turret' type press to get an idea. If your buying one, how about offering an even $100. We'll call it 'old stock'.

I think the shellholders were near $30 each new.
Well, then I think I did okay, considering I got the press, 7 shell plates, and various other odds and ends (powder thrower, cheap beginner's scale, etc.) for just over $200 (would've been $200 even, but forgot about shipping.) I figure I can sell off the 5 or 6 plates I don't shoot and end up with most of a kit for about $100.
Old 01-25-2010, 16:33   #6
sourdough44

I haven't priced any presses lately so that sounds pretty good. I think most buyers would be scared off IF they want a true progressive press. I wouldn't be afraid to remove the indexing linkage & move the case around by hand. You should also track down a few of the shell plates you may need in the future if you keep it. There may even be some on fleabay.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 16:48   #7
RHVEtte

See that's actually why I like the 4x4. I don't like progressive presses. Well, I like them, I'm just not comfortable with them. I'd much rather slow down a little and do it by hand. The cool thing about the one I bought is that it has plates for 3 of the 4 calibers I currently shoot, so I'm only out one. The others are popular calibers (.30-06 is one for example), so they should sell without a problem.