SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:58   #1
pascal

Suggest Metal Railed forend

Hello,
Don't know the correct terminology, because search didn't find anything. I'm interested in a quality forend metal all railed unit for a WASR. Don't need sight risers with rails, just want rails on side and bottom for flashlight and maybe pistol grip. Wouldn't mind the kind with the plastic or whatnot inserts to cover the unused portions of the rail. Also any help, advice/experience with this type setup is appreciated.
pascal

pascal
Old 01-19-2010, 01:57   #2
Tim808

Do a search for "rail" in this forum....lots of good info.

The UTG quadrail looks alright and is fairly cheap.

(Expect nearly everyone to get on you for being a mall ninja and ruining your AK but their from the school of looks. FWIW, I'm from the school of it's just a tool - so do what you think will make it a better tool)

Flame suit on....bring on the flame throwers!!! :-)
Tim808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:49   #3
pascal

Will Do and Thanks Tim808,
I agree about the beauty of the firearm in it's original form. Saw the movie the "Hurt Locker". The, now I know term, quad rails on the M16's with the pistol grip and light looked useful. Already have side mount quick detach mount with red dot optics. My problem with the WASR is muzzle climb, think this is a better solution the the reversed grip in place of the regular forearm. Also think I would consider a light a benefit. Is that what a mall ninja is? Like to put and underfolder stock on it also. Thanks.
pascal
Old 01-20-2010, 17:11   #4
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

I'm not a big fan of railed forends on AK's but at least three of them cost about as much as a WASR. The Surefire, the Command Arms and the Samson rails are very expensive compared to the rifle. the UTG is not too expensive but is a bit heavy and kind of hangs out a bit but some people really like it. The one I like is the Gun-Tech rail. It is sold in separate top and bottom, which don't install properly without the other half, so make sure you get both the top and bottom.

The pair sold together

http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/inde...roducts_id=687

the bottom separately

http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/inde...roducts_id=493

the top separately

http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/inde...roducts_id=497

The top rail is a bit shorter than the others if that's important.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 17:20   #5
Hef
Stop Obammunism

I have a UTG rail on my MAK-90. It's rock solid, though a bit heavy. I am very happy with it.
Old 01-20-2010, 19:49   #6
pascal

Thank you Gentlemen,
I will surely look into both. I am getting from your answers that the quadrail is definitely heavier than the wood. I really don't want to make it heavier if possible. Do you feel that the plastic front guards with the heat shield and rails on the top and sides would be suitable for my purposes. Since my optic is not mounted on them, it would only be for a light and a grip? Are they substantial enough to hold up? Thanks for your experienced responses.
pascal
Old 01-20-2010, 20:57   #7
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Most of the plastic handguards with rails usually don't have heat shields. For the same price you can get the aluminum handguards I listed made by Gun-Tech. They aren't quite as large or as long as the UTG or others and shouldn't be much heavier than wood. They are based on the plastic ones design but made in aluminum. The Leapers UTG ones are popular though.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:05   #8
pascal

Hello GlockGuy24,
I really don't need a quad rail. Just the sides and bottom. The Gun-tek looks good but for me a bit pricey. The UTG with the rail running over the gas tube and the Gun-Tech with the riser block and rail on the top of the quard are to me unnecessary. One problem I have with the WASR is muzzle climp with the regular slant brake and maybe the aluminum rails would help make it a bit muzzle heavy. Choices, choices and more choices. Thanks for the heads up.
pascal
Old 01-30-2010, 19:07   #9
riddleofsteel
Pulpa est valeo

Send a message via Yahoo to riddleofsteel
Get ready to be bashed for putting one on and seeing pics of little Russian girls crying ect ect.

However I love my UltiMAK and it WAS PRICEY. It is solid and heat resistant to the extreme. Plus it allows all the do dads like lights, lasers and forward grips so dear to my heart. I also bought the gas tube with rail for mounting a red dot sight but in the end decided on a set of night sights instead. More durable and no batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kalashnikov Klub - Click for larger version   The Kalashnikov Klub - Click for larger version  

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."
riddleofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 19:17   #10
Mofeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddleofsteel View Post
Get ready to be bashed for putting one on and seeing pics of little Russian girls crying ect ect.

However I love my UltiMAK and it WAS PRICEY. It is solid and heat resistant to the extreme. Plus it allows all the do dads like lights, lasers and forward grips so dear to my heart. I also bought the gas tube with rail for mounting a red dot sight but in the end decided on a set of night sights instead. More durable and no batteries.
How much are they going for now? Last time I saw them they were around $100.
Mofeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 19:32   #11
riddleofsteel
Pulpa est valeo

closer to 200+ now

http://ultimak.com/BuyAK.htm

I know I am a sucker for quality stuff. Really I have seen a lot of AK rails and nothing touches them in real hard use.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.

Old 01-30-2010, 19:50   #12
pascal

Thanks Gentlemen for your suggestions and sites to look at. I'm unable to spend that kind of money on the ultimak although it looks solid. Just realized I can't put a standard underfolder stock on a WASR with the side mount. I'll find something, that UTG looks sturdy and more affordable. I just wonder about the problem of using a forward pistol grip attached to the quadrail interfering with the ease of using the 30 round mags. Anyone have any experience on that seeming problem?
pascal
Old 01-30-2010, 19:57   #13
riddleofsteel
Pulpa est valeo

Depends on your rifle and your mags and how hard they are to seat. Personally I use more 20 round mags in my set up pictured above to avoid the problem altogether. 30 rounds will seat well but if you are prone to fumble on reload a straight forward grip might be better.
After all that then there is the control a forward grip gives you in rapid fire. Try it and get hooked.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:42   #14
pascal

Hello riddleofsteel,
Your rifle is pretty much what type of setup I would like to assemble. The fore grip is just the straight cylindrical shape. Will have to see how it works out.
Thanks.
pascal