GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:13   #21
kcbrown

The Lee sizing die isn't long enough to allow normal installation in a 650. I haven't tried installing it with the retainer on the bottom instead of the top, but based on how far the threads are from the tip of the die, I'd say that approach probably wouldn't work either. This is with new Lee carbide dies.
kcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:26   #22
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
The Lee sizing die isn't long enough to allow normal installation in a 650. I haven't tried installing it with the retainer on the bottom instead of the top, but based on how far the threads are from the tip of the die, I'd say that approach probably wouldn't work either. This is with new Lee carbide dies.
It works for me. On the 650 you can put the lock ring on the bottom of the tool head or you can use the Lee lock ring turn it over and use the top side of the lock ring without the rubber ring. Or replace the Lee lock ring with the Dillon lock rings. You only need about or more of one thread showing above the tool head for it too work.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-26-2010, 13:31   #23
ManNamedJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog[RE] View Post
I have exactly the same problem with SPEER nickel plated cases in 9MM. Rather than file the decapping pin or replace it, I just culled the Speer nickel cases and the problem went away. It only happened with the Speer nickel cases.
I was wondering if anyone else saw the problem with speer cases. It seems to happen almost exclusively with them. I have so many of them though, I'd hate to pull them.

Oh and my worry about a squib is due to the fact that the spent primer being it there COULD be the result of not completing a full stroke. If it didn't go far enough to deprime, then the other case maybe didn't go far enough to get charged. I know it isn't likely I did that, as I'm pretty careful, and I also have the powder checker, but I can't help but be paranoid.

Again, it is a dillon die that has the spring loaded decap pin. It is screwed all the way down. There is no way its not pushing the primer all the way out while sizing.

Thanks for the replies! I'll change the pin and load another 100 tonight and see what happens.
call a shotgun a shottie, call a revolver a wheelgun, call wal-mart wally world, post simply "+1", accuse anyone of kool-aid drinking, use "m4gery", tell you that your gun/ammo is unsafe/junk and instruct you to send it to me immediately, change your words and say I 'fixed it for ya', tell you to move to a gun friendly state, or bust on you for using clip instead of mag.
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 15:16   #24
WiskyT
Malcontent

In my father's expirience with his 650, it wasn't the case, but the primer that contributed to the pull back. The old Win nickle plated primers would pull back and the new unplated ones wouldn't. I swapped him for some of the newer ones and along with the dressing of the squared edge of the decaping pin, the problem went away. Ii think your Speer cases would be good to go.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 18:14   #25
Colorado4Wheel

It would be interesting to measure the diameter of the pin on your die, then compare that size to other dies as well as to the Speer primer. I would bet they nest together with a nice compression fit between the two. Perhaps the Speer primer is different then the others you normally come across. THat plus the slicker nickle case alows it to suck back in rather then be pushed off. My Lee dies all have very rounded decaping pins. No square edges at all on the ends.
Old 01-26-2010, 18:18   #26
Colorado4Wheel

This got me thinking and I just checked my Hornady die decapping pin (I almost never use this dieset). It's rounded as well but not as much. The interesting part to me is how rough it it compared to my Lee dies. You can feel the circular pattern of whatever cut the shape on the tip. Run your nail down it and it grips the nail in exactly the wrong direction. I may take it out, put it in a drill and polish it up. My Lee are perfectly smooth.