Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:02   #1
ricklee4570

Ghost Ring Sights

Anybody install a Ghost Ring Sight on your pistol?

In theory, they should be very fast, since all you have to do is put the dot on the target (your eye automatically centers the front sight in the rear ring)

This would appear to be quicker than the XS Big Dot Sights (in theory anyway, I have never used them)
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:26   #2
fsqridah

Don't waste your money with GRs on a pistol. They are great for rifles and shotguns equipped with a stock, but nothing more than a marketing gimmick on a pistol.

The reason XS Big Dots are so quick is the enormous front sight paired with a low profile, low rise V-notch on the rear. You don't lose the front sight behind any of the rear sight if your grip or firing stance is impaired. If you can't see the front sight, it's because you have the gun angled too far downward. With traditional sights, it's easy to lose the front sight behind either side of the raised rear sight areas, or behind the middle of the rear sight, hence making them slower to put on target than XS Big Dots. With a ghost ring setup, you increase your chances of losing the front dot behind any part of the ring (a 360 degree area). GRs are very effective when paired with a stock and a proper cheek weld, but handguns do not offer the sight alignment consistency of a long gun; thus, they should not be equipped with ghost rings.

I shot a G19 with the Arotek GRs and it was a complete joke. From a draw, I consistently lost the front sight if I did not have the gun perfectly lined up. Something else to keep in mind is that on a long gun, the rear sight (ring aperture) is situated fairly close to your eye, making it bigger and giving a larger area for the front sight to reside in. With a full arm extension, it's at least 14-16 inches away from your face, making the area inside the aperture tiny.

If you want fast target aquisition, go with XS. If you want match grade accuracy, go with target sights (like rifle sights, they are more accurate than GRs). Simply put, GRs do not belong on a pistol.
fsqridah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:48   #3
ricklee4570

Thanks for the response and well written explanation. Makes perfect sense.
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 18:43   #4
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
Anybody install a Ghost Ring Sight on your pistol?

In theory, they should be very fast, since all you have to do is put the dot on the target (your eye automatically centers the front sight in the rear ring)

This would appear to be quicker than the XS Big Dot Sights (in theory anyway, I have never used them)
My son has them on the Glock 21. The upper part of the ghost ring blocks a lot of the target. Not always quick to get the "hole" and front sight lined up especially in low light. See comments below. Due to my eyes I went JPoint red dot on the Glock 20. Expecially fast and good to fifty yards. Fastest sight I ever used even in real low light. You have a battery though that needs changing every couple of years
Old 01-29-2010, 18:52   #5
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
Thanks for the response and well written explanation. Makes perfect sense.
Ameriglo has their U-Rap sights to address this problem of covering the target.
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote