Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:22   #1
whitewater

.460 Rowland

I am just now learning about the 1911 conversion available in the .460 Rowland cartridge. Would appreciate any comments on anyone who has one of the Clarke drop-in conversion. Also has anyone tried one of the conversions offered by Wild West Gun for the Springfield and S&W MP?

This cartridge really smokes the 10mm.

Thanks,
whitewater
whitewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 14:51   #2
.45Super-Man

I'd much rather buy a good .44mag wheelgun as opposed to spending as much if not more, to attempt .44mag ballistics from a 1911, not to mention ammo cost and availibility vs. the .44mag!! When "conversions" are this expensive I tend to lose interest quickly. Then again, what game would you take with a .460 that couldnt be acheived with the 10mm or .45Super, with the right load??
.45Super-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 15:20   #3
mclaren

Yeah, a 4" 44 Mag and a speed loader beat this conversion on price and ammo availability.
From what I read these guns depend on a compensator heavily. That and mega heavy recoil springs make this unattractive to me.
mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:22   #4
BleedNOrange
Go Vols

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45Super-Man View Post
I'd much rather buy a good .44mag wheelgun as opposed to spending as much if not more, to attempt .44mag ballistics from a 1911, not to mention ammo cost and availibility vs. the .44mag!! When "conversions" are this expensive I tend to lose interest quickly. Then again, what game would you take with a .460 that couldnt be acheived with the 10mm or .45Super, with the right load??
Exactly what did this post have to do with the OP's question? He asked for anyone with knowledge of the .460 conversion, not for your lack of interest in it.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:40   #5
whitewater

.460 Rowland

Thanks BleedNOrange for your comment!

The Drop- In Conversion only cost $250 and that is from Clarke Guns, which as far as I know has a very good reputation. If I am not mistaken, Jerry Miculek is one of the owners and is or was married to a Clarke daughter.

The ballistics of a .460 Rowland match and even exceed those of a .44 Magnum. I was just interested in comments from someone who had first hand knowledge of this round and in particular with this pretty inexpensive Drop-In Conversion available from Clarke.

Thanks,
whitewater
Old 01-27-2010, 11:44   #6
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member

I have the 460 conversion in my Kimber Warrior and Clark recently cut the cylinder of my 625 to match.

My dentist bought a Kimber straight from Clark already set up for the hoghammer. He bowhunts and the 357Sig wasn't up to his expectations finishing of big pigs.

I reload so the ammo isn't too pricey.

The recoil and muzzle blast are right up there with the 44, so is the accuracy. Win, win situation.

I did have to have the comp pinned and welded due to silly California assault weapons laws. Phooey.
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 14:31   #7
whitewater

.460 Rowland

TKM,

Thanks! This was the kind of input I was looking for. Think I am sold on this drop-in. Now I just have to go find a 1911.

whitewater
Old 01-27-2010, 14:54   #8
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member

Glad I could help.

Check Clarks website for a list of recommended models.

Some pistols will not stand up to the increased everything.

A .44Mag level upgrade for the price of a .22 is a pretty good deal.
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 17:03   #9
.45Super-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedNOrange View Post
Exactly what did this post have to do with the OP's question? He asked for anyone with knowledge of the .460 conversion, not for your lack of interest in it.
What does my opinion have to do with your desire to play "hall monitor"...
Old 01-28-2010, 08:27   #10
BleedNOrange
Go Vols

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45Super-Man View Post
What does my opinion have to do with your desire to play "hall monitor"...
Nothing really, just that your opinion had nothing to do with the OP's question. Hey aren't you the guy that scoffs at "turbo charging" 9mm's but yet advocates 45 super....hmmm kinda funny
Old 01-28-2010, 16:40   #11
.45Super-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedNOrange View Post
Nothing really, just that your opinion had nothing to do with the OP's question. Hey aren't you the guy that scoffs at "turbo charging" 9mm's but yet advocates 45 super....hmmm kinda funny
The .45acp is loaded to very low pressures and a dramatic improvement can be made to it's ballistics by beefing things up to more "modern" performance levels. The .45Super only develops about 25,000 psi which is still FAR below the 9mm,.40,etc. Attempting to "turbo charge" the 9mm, which is already at about 35-36,000 psi IS a different matter altogether. There...make sense now??

Last edited by .45Super-Man; 01-28-2010 at 16:42..
Old 01-28-2010, 16:50   #12
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

The .45-08 might be an alternative for the OP. All you need is to cut .308 brass and an aftermarket BBL. It's a step up from .45 sup, not quite the Rowland, nor the hassle or expense.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 20:55   #13
TED

I don't have any personal direct experience with the .460 Rowland. But, I thought that the OP might like to know that Mech Tec makes a cool unit that converts a pistol into a totally legit rifle. And, they offer it in .460 Rowland.

TED
TED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 23:10   #14
bfoosh006

I would suggest a fully supported chamber on your handguns barrel, Para-Ordnances will accept Clarks after-market kit for it. My friend got one of them for his Para, he enjoys shooting it...but , he can't help but wonder how much he is beating up the frame every mag full. He has changed the recoil spring to as stiff as practical, ( wear those safety glasses during assm./dis-assm., if that spring gets loose it FLYS ! )Certainly a hot friggin' round.

FYI here is some reload data...http://www.realguns.com/loads/460Rowland.htm
bfoosh006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 23:02   #15
dtsdave

I have the kit from CCG on my Dan Wesson Pointman 7. It is fun to shoot and I reload so the ammo has not been to bad. I only have really run about 100 rounds through so far. The only pain is chasing down the brass. It is super accurate and the recoil is definitely different. A snap backwards instead of up.

I wanted a hot shooting gun in a 1911 and I think I got what I asked for without buying a 10mm and the dies for reloading. I already had the 45acp dies. The first picture is 9 rounds 35'.

Caliber CornerCaliber Corner
dtsdave is offline   Reply With Quote