Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:41   #1
JMiller

Primers question

I have noticed in my Lyman book it has some loads with the (*) next to it. Down at the bottom it says the (*) means the use of CCI primers only. My question is why? I don't have any problem using CCI's I have lots on hand. I am just wondering if anyone here can give a comprehensive reply on different primers and why you would use one over another.
JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:09   #2
Glock2008
Gun User

Thats what they used when they created the load. They may have had pressure or ignition issues with other brands of primers. I've rarely used the primer stated for a given load, I just back off a bit and work back up.
Glock2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:56   #3
Randy from Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock2008 View Post
Thats what they used when they created the load. They may have had pressure or ignition issues with other brands of primers. I've rarely used the primer stated for a given load, I just back off a bit and work back up.
I agree 100% with what Glock2008 stated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Randy from Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 13:48   #4
fredj338

If you are using loads that are well off the top end, swapping brand of primer will have little affect on pressures. Where yo can get into trouble is w/ a max load & a slightly hotter primer. I've verifed this many times w/ a chronograph.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 16:36   #5
steve4102

I checked out my Lyman 48. At the beginning of the load data Lyman lists all the components used. The * appears when they used more than one primer for their test data. Instead of having to print the primer used in the data section they use an * .

There could be many reasons why they have more than one primer in their data, age and when data was collected could be one.
steve4102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 18:32   #6
JMiller

Ok I really do get that I would be well advised to just follow the data. What I really wanted was someone to tell us (me and anyone else that might want to know) What are the differences between primes ie which ones are hotter then others and when and why you would use one over the other. I thank Fredj for his response seeing as he was on the right track with his response. I was just hoping for a more in depth look at what we are working with. I really do understand the commonsense part of the reloading thing. I am here to learn from anyone with some experience. So does anyone have any time to go into depth with the topic of primers and the differences between makes ie CCI, Wolf, Fed etc...
Old 02-08-2010, 19:12   #7
n2extrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Ok I really do get that I would be well advised to just follow the data. What I really wanted was someone to tell us (me and anyone else that might want to know) What are the differences between primes ie which ones are hotter then others and when and why you would use one over the other. I thank Fredj for his response seeing as he was on the right track with his response. I was just hoping for a more in depth look at what we are working with. I really do understand the commonsense part of the reloading thing. I am here to learn from anyone with some experience. So does anyone have any time to go into depth with the topic of primers and the differences between makes ie CCI, Wolf, Fed etc...
I am no expert here, I believe CCI is the hard end, then remington and finally federal the softest. Check out these photos for an eye opener on primers.

http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html
n2extrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 19:40   #8
JMiller

Wow that is an eye opener.