Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2010, 16:32   #1
Big Bore Fan

newbie help

Ok, I've been shooting all my life and now I'm thinking about reloading. I was reading some of the stickys on here and ran across the kempf's Lee Classic Turret Kit in the "how to get started in reloading" section. So I cheked it out and seems like a good deal and fits my budget. They offer a pistol kit and a rifle kit. So the question is can I buy one or the other and load pistol and rifle with the one machine? I will be loading .45 acp, .380, and .204 ruger. If I can do both with the one machine what are the add-on I will need to load both. For example, I get the one set up for pistol and then buy the stuff for the 204 or the other way around.
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41
Here is the link, thanks for any help.
Big Bore Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 16:42   #2
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bore Fan View Post
Ok, I've been shooting all my life and now I'm thinking about reloading. I was reading some of the stickys on here and ran across the kempf's Lee Classic Turret Kit in the "how to get started in reloading" section. So I cheked it out and seems like a good deal and fits my budget. They offer a pistol kit and a rifle kit. So the question is can I buy one or the other and load pistol and rifle with the one machine? I will be loading .45 acp, .380, and .204 ruger. If I can do both with the one machine what are the add-on I will need to load both. For example, I get the one set up for pistol and then buy the stuff for the 204 or the other way around.
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41
Here is the link, thanks for any help.
Works both ways as far as the press is concerned, just get the dies... though there will be additional tools required for rifle round case prep.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:20   #3
PBKing

Yes it will load both on the same press.
My advice would be ...Get the .45acp kit. Learn the ropes. Then proceed to the next caliber. Reloading bottle neck cases is a little different. As you become proficient and continue to research you will learn what you will need to load the .204
Dont forget your manual.

Last edited by PBKing; 01-28-2010 at 08:23..
PBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:56   #4
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBKing View Post
My advice would be ...Get the .45 kit. Learn the ropes. Then proceed to the next caliber. Reloading bottle neck cases is a little different. As you become proficient and continue to research you will learn what you will need to load the .204
Dont forget your manual.

Really good advice. Get the pistol kit, load only pistol. Then add calibers as you gain knowledge. You make better choices for rifle as a result of learning how to load pistol. Pistol is easy. To answer the original question. With that kit to switch between calibers (pistol or rifle) all you need is new dies and a toolhead. Technically you could use the same toolhead but thats a PITA compared to the small amount of money involved with buying a extra toolhead.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:22   #5
Big Bore Fan

Thanks guys, I found the A B C's of reloading at the library so I'll be getting that today. This country boy from the sticks might figer it out sooner than later.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:30   #6
DoctaGlockta

I started with 45ACP for several reasons. Now I load 223 and today I'm going to shoot my first 7.62X39 rounds at lunch. Good advice here on starting with 45ACP. Good luck.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 20:46   #7
Big Bore Fan

Ok, I made it buy the library today and picked up the abc's of reloading but the one they had was the 4th ed. from 1986, I think. Looking around on the net I see there up to number 8. So should I just go buy the newest one or is the old 80's book ok?
Old 01-28-2010, 20:49   #8
Colorado4Wheel

Read the old one, decide if it's worth it to get into reloading. Buy a newer version or just inter library loan a new version. You will need to buy a couple books anyway. But for research your already on your way.
Old 01-28-2010, 22:04   #9
robin303
Helicopter Nut

Might want to check out the Lyman 49th and what I found useful is the Load Books for every caliber. Best price I believe is Midway and you get them in four days. Check out the Lee book also.
Old 01-29-2010, 17:26   #10
RustyFN

If you buy from kempf you will want to get the $20 upgrade for the pro auto disk and both safety primes. Every time you buy a set of dies to add a caliber you will want to buy a turret for those dies.
Old 01-29-2010, 20:19   #11
Big Bore Fan

well I'm only at about page 30 so far but were gettin a good snow tonight so I'll pick up the pace. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-29-2010, 20:55   #12
bouy37

ABCs of Reloading

I am right there with ya Big Bore. I am reading the same book and on page 30 as well.

This is some dry reading.

bouy
More to come......
bouy37 is offline   Reply With Quote