Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2010, 20:01   #1
joepa150

Just purchased some Winchester Ranger bonded!

For about 2 weeks I have been in the market for some Hollowpoint defense ammo and I finally bought some.

I purchased some Winchester Ranger Bonded 147gr RA9B. I couldn't find them on Winchester's website except for it on the ballistic comparison page. I have read that they are the same as Supreme Elite PDX1 (except they come in a box of 50 not 20 and marked law enforcememnt). Although I wanted something in 124gr, I think these are supposed to be pretty good.

The other available options were
Federal Hydra-shok124gr and 147 gr (50 count)
Fiocchi Extrema XTP 147gr (50 count)
Speer Gold Dots 115gr (20 count)
Remington Golden Saber 124 +p and 147 (25 count)

Any opinions on my choice? Should I try and call ammunitiontogo and see if I can switch these out for the 124grn Hydra-shok or the 124 +p Golden Sabers instead?
joepa150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 20:14   #2
granitemonkey

I wouldnt, especially for hydra-shoks. The Ranger Bonded is a far superior round. You did good, its ok.
granitemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 23:16   #3
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
Any opinions on my choice? Should I try and call ammunitiontogo and see if I can switch these out for the 124grn Hydra-shok or the 124 +p Golden Sabers instead?
There are a number of excellent JHP self-defense rounds available. I try to match the round with the pistol; that is, select the round that always fires and achieves the recommended penetration, is accurate, has reliable expansion, and imparts the best shooting characteristics for that gun/ammo combination. I think these considerations are far more important than focusing on one or two facets of a particular round.

I have three different pistols and use a different carry round in each, made by three different manufacturers. That's just the way it has worked out so far for me. Some people have their best results with a single round in multiple pistols.