Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2010, 20:42   #1
walkin' trails

Gun fondling

I checked out a S&W 1911 at my local gun shop for the first time. I know only what I've read about them, but had to admit that the trigger was nicer than any out of the box 1911 I had in the past (its been a long time since I had a 1911). Pricewise, I got the impression it wouldn't be a bad gun for shooters who didn't plan on having much custom work done on them. Any opinions?

Next I was shown a Sig 1911 Blackwater addition. it was finished very nicely and seemed smooth to operate. The trigger seemed decent, but I can't say it was any better or worse than the Smith. It was priced a couple hundred more than the Smith. Anyway, again, anyone with any experience with the Sig? Other than the sides of the slide, has Sig deviated much from the original Browning design...can you use any 1911 mag in them?

I'm still looking and in no hurry....
Firearms Instructor
walkin' trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 23:30   #2
Brian Brazier

I really like the Smiths, though I don't own one I have shot a few and they were all smooth shooters.
Old 01-28-2010, 00:57   #3
vtbluegrass

I love my S&W 1911. Only had it 6 months but lots of rounds from target velocity to full power and no hiccups.Accuracy is nice with everything I have shot and the trigger is better than most in that near $1000 price range. Never shot or held the Sig 1911 so I am no help with info on those.

If you want custom work done on the S&W get the performance center.
vtbluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 16:52   #4
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

I very much enjoy my Smith scandium PD. It's the only 1911 I've ever had that has been 100% out of the box...have about 1200 rounds through it so far. It has become my primary EDC when I'm not working.

Have nothing bad to say about the SIGs either...though the only model I have hands-on experience with is the C3 my buddy owns. We had some minor extraction issues early on, but a couple of swipes of the file fixed that. It probably has the nicest 'stock' trigger I've felt in a production gun...even better than my Smith.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
-Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes Brown v. United States, 1921
rvrctyrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 18:39   #5
GearGuru

ditto on rvrctyrngr (type that fast???) comments.

I have had three SW's Standard 5", a Doug Koenig and now a used 1911 PD commander and they have been 100% regardless of what they were fed. When used with quality mags, I put my rear on the line with the PD several days a week. Mine have worked great with ACT (factory manuf), Wilson 47's and Ed Brown mags. I don't mind the ext extractor, Smith has been doing it for a long time and they got it right. That being said, I still love the 70's and Springfields
GearGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:25   #6
walkin' trails

Thanks for the replies. I had a friend that told me that he had handled a S&W at a shop and thought it felt gritty. The one I played with seemed like it was a little dry, but the trigger was decent. I would think that for the average guy wanting a carry gun, the S&W should serve nicely. As a side note, I saw from a Wilson Combat ad that they now perform custom work on S&Ws.
Firearms Instructor
walkin' trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:32   #7
Eyescream
hates you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrctyrngr View Post
I very much enjoy my Smith scandium PD. It's the only 1911 I've ever had that has been 100% out of the box...have about 1200 rounds through it so far. It has become my primary EDC when I'm not working.
I keep thinking about these. I think one day I'm gonna have to have one.
Old 01-31-2010, 13:52   #8
GVFlyer

Me too, Freaky Monkey.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 14:23   #9
Eyescream
hates you