SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:40   #1
Roering
Sorting nuts

Newbie question on primers

I see there are "big pistol" and "small pistol" primers.

I'm looking to load for both .40 S&W and 9mm for my G23 so would it be big or small?

Thanks
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:44   #2
fudd

Depends...are they big .40s and 9s or small .40s and 9s?

BUY A BOOK!
fudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:49   #3
garyjandfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post

I'm looking to load for both .40 S&W and 9mm for my G23 so would it be big or small?

Thanks
You are going to catch a lot of flack for this one - so let me try to be a reasonable voice.

If you are asking this question, you are not ready to reload. Buy a book. Read it cover-to-cover. Then re-read the sections that are important to what you want to load. Then ask questions - we'd love to help!

"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."
garyjandfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:50   #4
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

The load data in one of your manuals will show you exactly which primers to use for each caliber and each load, i.e. standard or magnum load.

I certainly don't want to be unhelpful but you're attempting to load two calibers that could potentially get you in trouble, especially the high pressure .40.

If you don't know the most basic terminology or the simplest of the loading components you may have some research and reading left to do before you possibly ruin a gun or lose body parts.

It's a very enjoyable hobby... but it can hurt you really bad if you don't put in the effort to learn it. I wish you good fortune and many happy years of loading... but don't try to take shortcuts.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:51   #5
Colorado4Wheel

It's in the cartridge discription section of your reloading manual.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:57   #6
polizei1
It WAS Quack

Send a message via AIM to polizei1
And you guys thought I was bad. Still am BTW.

-Cody
polizei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 13:14   #7
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjandfamily View Post
You are going to catch a lot of flack for this one - so let me try to be a reasonable voice.

If you are asking this question, you are not ready to reload. Buy a book. Read it cover-to-cover. Then re-read the sections that are important to what you want to load. Then ask questions - we'd love to help!
I have to agree, this is a very basic question that a reloading manual tells you for every cartrdige. I'll throw you a bone, but you need to read a book. The 9mm & 40 both take small pistol, std. primers.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 13:22   #8
Roering
Sorting nuts

Jeez guys, I haven't loaded yet but am just looking at the cost vs. buying already manufactured ammunition. Perhaps this isn't the right kind of place to ask questions.

--never said I was ready to reload.
I would ask what the difference is but I dare not.

Thank you Fredj338 for an answer.

Last edited by Roering; 01-28-2010 at 13:26..
Old 01-28-2010, 13:31   #9
DoctaGlockta

Quote:

Thanks
Oh dear

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 13:36   #10
robin303
Helicopter Nut

Quote:
Jeez guys, I haven't loaded yet but am just looking at the cost vs. buying already manufactured ammunition. Perhaps this isn't the right kind of place to ask questions.

Deep down they are really trying to help you out. Reloading can be a very dangerous. Get at least 3 books.
Old 01-28-2010, 13:57   #11
polizei1
It WAS Quack

Send a message via AIM to polizei1
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...t=primer+sizes

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027887

The problem is, that questions is very obvious with hardly any research. I did a few days of extensive research before I decided to post my first post...so I at least understood the basics. I would suggest reading all the stickies and the newbie guide, it has a ton of useful information. Remember, if you're reloading, you're dealing with explosive primers and powder. That alone can be extremely dangerous, not to mention other things. They're just trying to look out for your safety.

-Cody

Last edited by polizei1; 01-28-2010 at 14:00..
polizei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 14:05   #12
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin303 View Post
Deep down they are really trying to help you out. Reloading can be a very dangerous. Get at least 3 books.
Really? Get 3 books before I even price out the components? Before I even entertain the thought of reloading vs. buying manufactured ammo??? I NEED TO READ 3 BOOKS ON RELOADING BEFORE I ASK A QUESTION ABOUT PRIMERS?!?!?!?

I know reloading can be dangerous but should researching it be so dangerous?
Old 01-28-2010, 14:14   #13
AA#5

Quote:

Some people read too much into a question. I think some people here assume you're sitting at a loading bench already handloading & if you're asking that question, you shouldn't be handloading until you have more knowledge. Not everyone is that way.

The primer pockets are either large or small - same with rifle cartridges. If you look at a 44 or 45 auto case, you'll notice the primer pocket is larger. Also, there are standard and magnum primers. Magnum primers have a bigger spark needed to ignite slower-burning powders for higher velocity.

To others here: What's wrong with answering a question, then adding: "For your safety, consult a loading manual before handloading."
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 14:36   #14
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Really? Get 3 books before I even price out the components? Before I even entertain the thought of reloading vs. buying manufactured ammo??? I NEED TO READ 3 BOOKS ON RELOADING BEFORE I ASK A QUESTION ABOUT PRIMERS?!?!?!?

Primers all cost about the same. Lg vs Sm. No real difference.
Old 01-28-2010, 14:38   #15
Roering
Sorting nuts

For those in the "You'll blow up your garage kid" court.

I would not go messing around with powder and primers that would ignite it until I know what I'm doing.

I'm just trying to see if it is worthwhile to load/reload.

Where I live ammunition is expensive...really expensive. $25 plus for cheap target .40 ammo expensive and come Feb of 2011 buying online will not be allowed so I'm looking at other alternatives to foster my hobby.

Last edited by Roering; 01-28-2010 at 14:43..
Old 01-28-2010, 14:39   #16
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:

Would you let your children drive your car without first reading a driving manual just because they have an 'interest' in driving? I doubt it.

If you have to ask a question about primers, the most basic of loading components, and not even a technical question about load reduction when forced to use magnum primers when standards are scarce demonstrates that you really 'don't' know how dangerous loading can be.

You've come to a forum where the combined experience in loading is hundreds and hundreds of years with millions and millions of rounds having been produced on equipment ranging from tongs to progressive presses as well as cramming a round ball down the muzzle of a rifle.

Every one here, every single poster is here to help and/or learn but unlike our current society we don't subscribe to the theory of coddling someone from cradle to grave... self-help and self-responsibility enters into the equation.

We understand that you want to decide if loading will be cost effective vs factory but without a little research/reading on your part how can you possibly have any idea of what you might need to base those cost effectiveness decisions on?

If the answers to your questions contain information involving burn rate, CUP pressures, grains vs CC, air cast vs water drop, SP, LP, SR, LR, SRBR or LRBR would you even have any idea what anyone was talking about?

Take a few minutes to read the stickies at the top of the threads, members of this forum spent a good deal of time and effort putting those together to help those just like you who have an interest in learning about the art of loading.

Demonstrate a little effort in learning a little bit about what many of us have taken decades to learn and I do believe you'll be surprised at how much enthusiastic help you'll receive.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 14:46   #17
KinderGlocken

Basically I can reload for at least half the price of new ammo. Do I save money? No, I just shoot twice as much.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
KinderGlocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 14:58   #18
LoadedTech

Quote:
Where I live ammunition is expensive...really expensive. $25 plus for cheap target .40 ammo expensive and come Feb of 2011 buying online will not be allowed so I'm looking at other alternatives to foster my hobby.
Sounds like you live in CA or of the sort. You might want to find out if you can mail order primers and or powder after Feb 2011, in your state. I started reloading when I couldnt find ammo at all. You save about 1/2 of what you would spend on loaded ammo. The start up cost involved will allow you to break even at 3-5k rounds made depending on the press you buy.
Old 01-28-2010, 15:47   #19
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
For those in the "You'll blow up your garage kid" court.

I would not go messing around with powder and primers that would ignite it until I know what I'm doing.

YOU asked and answered your own question in reality.

Come 2011 do you think ammo will cost more or less in your area?

Come 2011 do you think reloading supplies will cost more or less in your area?

It's simple. I don't even know if I would buy a press. I would buy as many primers and as much powder as possible. If bullets are on that list of banned things add that to your shopping spree. In 2011 you could sell them all and make a profit OR get a press and start loading.
Old 01-28-2010, 16:17   #20
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:

Right now you could be buying components for premium reloaded ammo online for yourself. The total cost would be about $8.50 a box with bulk buys of Bullets (case of MG 180g FMJ's $300) primers (5K at $24-26 a K) powder (8# jugs $75-90) plus hazmat, no tax.

It could only get cheaper, if you buy more. So the real question is not whether it's worthwhile, in my view you have no other alternative if you intend to continue with you hobby.

As a point of reference: I shoot 1000-1200 rounds of 9mm and/.40 a month, cost me anywhere between $90 to $125 a month depending on if I'm loading lead or FMJ. In perspective, it cost me about $400 total to get started reloading one caliber with a LCT and the required tooling. Given your cost of what you pay for ammo. I paid for that tooling in LESS than 2k rounds!

So is it worth it? Ask yourself again...
Old 01-28-2010, 16:25   #21
chineseboxer

I surfed the web for 2 months in addition to buying 3 manuals before I hit the forums. Please do your homework. I have no problem with you asking the question. Hoefully you learned more than just what size primer you need. Please be careful.
chineseboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 17:45   #22
fredj338

Quote:

Ok, maybe one book. Really, before I think of doing anything, reloading windsurfing, building a chickEn coop, working on my car, whatever, I go buy a book or read a bunch of stuff on the net. Maybe if you prefaced your question w/ " I am thinking of reloading & want to price components to see if it's worth it". Something like that will get you further than sounding like a guy that has no clue about what he is doing. "Looking to load" sounds a lot like you already got gear & are trying to shortcut your learning curve. So some of us like to get newbs to STOP & actually research before putting bullets over primers. It may just save you an eye or a hand.
Quote:
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-28-2010 at 17:58..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 18:07   #23
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Ok, maybe one book. Really, before I think of doing anything, reloadingm windsurfing, building a chicekn coop, whatever, I go buy a book or read a bunch of stuff on the net. Maybe if you prefaced your question w/ " I am thinking of reloading & want to price components to see if it's worth it". Something like that will get you further than sounding like a guy that has no clue about what he is doing. "Looking to load" sounds a lot like you already got gear & are trying to shortcut your learning curve. So some of us like to get newbs to STOP & actually research before putting bullets over primers. It may just save you an eye or a hand.
You read a book on it before even thinking about doing it?
I have to wonder, what got you to read the book in the first place?

Usually I get the idea of doing something first, and then I read up, research, ask questions, etc. etc.

I wouldn't go playing with combustible anything without proper research and advice. I'm sorry if my question gave the wrong impression. Perhaps some should not have jumped to a conclusion though?

For those who feel such questions are beneath you to answer but not ridicule here's one more.

What makes the primer stick to the brass?
Old 01-28-2010, 18:13   #24
PBKing

Quote:
Usually I get the idea of doing something first, and then I read up, research, ask questions, etc. etc.
That seems completely reasonable to me.
And therein lies the problem..What happened this time?

Last edited by PBKing; 01-28-2010 at 18:16..
PBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 18:20   #25
n2extrm

Because you are new to the whole reloading thing you may not understand. SOME people will try to reload by searching the net and trolling for a "good load". As you learn all that goes into making a "good load" you will realise that this is very dangerous to do. The guys here try to steer people on to the right track. Give them a chance and check out one of the many book mentioned in the stickys, like Lyman or ABC's of reloading and it will be easier to understand, both us and you. Reloading is alot of fun. If you like to shoot it will help you shoot more and spend less. It also can help you enjoy your hobby when the weather will not allow you to get out and shoot. You can taylor loads for the gun or the purpouse at hand. Light target loads, super accurate competition loads, or full power hunting loads. It is all up to you.
n2extrm is offline   Reply With Quote