SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2010, 22:00   #1
nathanours
Texan

Wasr-10?

So I am a 6920 guy myself, but my friend is very interested in getting an AK as he is on a lower budget and just loves them.

He wants me to go with him to get it as I know a decent amount more about guns than he (nothing compared to most of you I'm sure) and I was wondering if there is anything in particular he should pay attention to.

He has seen the WASR-10 ak's for around $400 and doesn't want to spend alot. Are these things any good and worth the money?

No he will not be using it for any "real world" applications or that kind of thing, just kind of as a fun gun to shoot at the range and in National Forest land.

What is a good price on these? Also are there any problems I should look for, such as pieces not lining up or that sort of thing?

I am a novice to AK's so this is a learning thing for me too.

Thanks for any help

Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 22:45   #2
Glock9mmccw

I have one,
I cant tell much of a difference between the Wasr-10 and the other Romanian Aks I have. Other then they don't have magazine dimples.

I guess the only think I would check is that there is not a lot of mag wobble.

I don't know about the price I bought mine about 8 years ago. They were cheaper.
Here is a Romania Ak that I just cleaned up a bit (pink camo is my wifes )
The Kalashnikov Klub
Glock9mmccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 23:39   #3
nathanours
Texan

I love the look of the wood forend you have! Thanks for the info. And for some reason my friend is set on getting one with a wood stock, none of the synthetic stuff, other than the pistol grip.

Black Rifle Club #1989
Old 01-29-2010, 07:39   #4
Mr.Pliskin

I had one for a while that I bought super cheap and converted it to hi-cap myself (sold it in the gun madness era). Their pretty good guns for the money, just watch for too much mag wobble and canted gas block, which I have never seen. The only down side to the gun is the 1 mil receiver rather than 1.6 of most AK's, which is not really an issue for most shooters. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
For an AK with a chrome lined barrel and such itís a decent AK.<o:p></o:p>
Mr.Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 20:36   #5
Jmzzl
AK User

The Kalashnikov Klub
I absolutely love mine.
Jmzzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:16   #6
fivestar

I have a WASR as well. I bought it NIB a few years ago for $300. It's been a fine rifle. The mags do wobble a bit but it doesn't seem to effect anything. I never thought my front sight was canted either as I had no problems. I've now got a Primary Arms M.D. mounted on an Ultimak rail. It's been a great shooter!
fivestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 14:38   #7
CarlosC
I love guns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pliskin View Post
The only down side to the gun is the 1 mil receiver rather than 1.6 of most AK's, which is not really an issue for most shooters. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
For an AK with a chrome lined barrel and such itís a decent AK.<o:p></o:p>
Actually, the 1.6mm is the exception, rather than the rule. Most AKs have 1mm receivers.
Old 01-30-2010, 14:44   #8
GlockPride
Glock 23

I have one and have had no problems. Just look for mag wobble and canted sights. Also, I changed out the small plastic grip with a comfortable Hogue rubber one. It's a definite upgrade. It's not 'authentic' but it sure is more comfortable.
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:24   #9
pangloss9

I have one that I bought about a year and a half ago for $350 + shipping. Knowing what I do now, I would buy the gun again for $400. The mags that were included with the gun have a little bit of wobble, but the two others I've bought don't. I really enjoy the gun, and I get get steel cased ammo for about the same price as 9mm.
pangloss9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:08   #10
nathanours
Texan

So yesterday we went to the local store and he ended up walking out with one. He paid $400 and that came with 2 mags the gun, 135 rounds of 7.62 and a bunch of worthless surplus junk. Later we went to the range and it functioned just as reliably as my 6920- not one jam in about 400 rounds, so I would say it's lived up to it's reputation so far.

There were about 20 to choose from so we checked em all for mag wobble and properly aligned sights. The only off thing I could see is that it seemed to be shooting about 6 in high at 25 yrds. Is this to compensate for bullet drop at longer ranges? The back sight is as low as it can go. Can you raise the front sight like I can on my m4?

Black Rifle Club #1989
Old 02-01-2010, 11:42   #11
CarlosC
I love guns!

Yes, the front sight on the AK is where you make your windage and elevation changes for zero. 25 yards is kind of close though.
After setting your elevation for zero, use the back sight for regular distance shooting using the marks corresponding to hundreds of meters. And the closest setting (P) is the combat setting that equals 350 meters. One full turn of the front sight raises or lowers the point of impact 20mm at 100 meters.

One of the tools in your buttstock cleaning kit can be used to adjust elevation.
Old 02-01-2010, 14:03   #12
nathanours
Texan

Ya I realize 25 is close, but is an ak set up like an m4 where if you sight it in at 25, it's also dead on at 300?

Also, we have not been able to get the pod that holds the cleaning kit open. Is there some trick to this or did he just get a bad rusted shut one? I didn't want to force it...

Black Rifle Club #1989
Old 02-02-2010, 13:40   #13
toshbar
Timber Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post

Also, we have not been able to get the pod that holds the cleaning kit open. Is there some trick to this or did he just get a bad rusted shut one? I didn't want to force it...
It unscrews counter clockwise about 1/8 turn and then pull the cap off.

I ordered one on my 18th birthday back in August and love it. When I got it, the wood looked like a rough cut 2x4, so I sanded it real good, put a few coats of dark mahogany stain on it and then linseed oil.

Before, when it was a blonde.
The Kalashnikov Klub

And after the sand/stain/BLO. $14 at lowes got me a small can of stain, which i could easily do 8-10 more rifles with, and a quart of BLO.
The Kalashnikov Klub

It's great fun.
The Kalashnikov Klub
2 4 R

Last edited by toshbar; 02-02-2010 at 14:01..
toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 20:58   #14
mboylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
So yesterday we went to the local store and he ended up walking out with one. He paid $400 and that came with 2 mags the gun, 135 rounds of 7.62 and a bunch of worthless surplus junk. Later we went to the range and it functioned just as reliably as my 6920- not one jam in about 400 rounds, so I would say it's lived up to it's reputation so far.

There were about 20 to choose from so we checked em all for mag wobble and properly aligned sights. The only off thing I could see is that it seemed to be shooting about 6 in high at 25 yrds. Is this to compensate for bullet drop at longer ranges? The back sight is as low as it can go. Can you raise the front sight like I can on my m4?
Back as far as it can go isn't going to work well at 25 yards. There's a little shelf there that moves the rear sight higher as you go back from the battle zero point. Set it to 0 and you'll be good at 25 yards.
mboylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:23   #15
nathanours
Texan

Awesome thanks for the help guys. And we have already started on a refinishing project. So far it is completely smooth thanks to a little steel wool. Next is going to be stain, then a few coats if varnish. Love the way yours turned out btw toshbar...

Black Rifle Club #1989
Old 02-06-2010, 01:29   #16
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post
Actually, the 1.6mm is the exception, rather than the rule. Most AKs have 1mm receivers.
That is correct, the real AKs are 1mm thick. I think some of the US made receivers are close to 1.5mm thick though. It had something to do with the standard thickness of sheet metal measured in the English system and converting from a Metric measurement. The difference is only .025mm, on each side and it sort of gets absorbed in the tolerances and you have a slightly more robust receiver and it will work just fine.

The WASR is really a pretty good gun IMO. I do have 1.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 16:34   #17
Ebb27

I've had one for about 8 or 9 years.

The Kalashnikov Klub

I used to shoot it a lot when 7.62 was $75 a case but not so much now. Still works great after several thousand rounds. I've never had a single problem.

The things a bullet hose.
Old 02-06-2010, 21:42   #18
AustinTx

I'm not sure I have bought any 7.62 X 39 since it went past $80/1000. I can't believe we got ammo so cheap, or such cheap ammo ? whatever. Those days seem to be gone.

OK, you have had a WASR about 9 years and are well acquainted with it by now, I would assume. Have you noticed the 3 spot welds that attach the flat piece of sheet steel, inside the receiver, for strength, since the dimples weren't there? It looks like I can see the location of 3 spot welds that attach that reinforcement plate, when I get the light at the right angle. Those spot welds were done before the rifle was finished. Welded, looks like, then Parkerized over that. I think that reinforcement plate was put in the rifle, at the factory, when originally built, for the 10 round single stack mags. My belief is that these rifles were built with the intent of enlarging the mag hole to accept the standard AK mags, once they had been imported here. Just my guess and I've been intending to see what someone else thought about that. They do seem to be pretty good guns. I think that they generally look better than most of the SAR-1 versions, I have seen. The barrels, on the WASR rifles that I've looked at all have had what appeared to be new barrels. Anyway they have all been in excellent condition.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 16:27   #19
toshbar
Timber Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebb27 View Post
I've had one for about 8 or 9 years.

The Kalashnikov Klub

I used to shoot it a lot when 7.62 was $75 a case but not so much now. Still works great after several thousand rounds. I've never had a single problem.

The things a bullet hose.
How do you like that side wire folder? I'm thinking about putting one on my future Saiga 5.45 conversion.
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 20:12   #20
Ebb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTx View Post
OK, you have had a WASR about 9 years and are well acquainted with it by now, I would assume. Have you noticed the 3 spot welds that attach the flat piece of sheet steel, inside the receiver, for strength, since the dimples weren't there? It looks like I can see the location of 3 spot welds that attach that reinforcement plate, when I get the light at the right angle. Those spot welds were done before the rifle was finished. Welded, looks like, then Parkerized over that. I think that reinforcement plate was put in the rifle, at the factory, when originally built, for the 10 round single stack mags. My belief is that these rifles were built with the intent of enlarging the mag hole to accept the standard AK mags, once they had been imported here. Just my guess and I've been intending to see what someone else thought about that. They do seem to be pretty good guns. I think that they generally look better than most of the SAR-1 versions, I have seen. The barrels, on the WASR rifles that I've looked at all have had what appeared to be new barrels. Anyway they have all been in excellent condition.

The ones on mine are actually a sort of L shape with the small portion of the L butting up against the bottom of the bolt rails, and yes there are spot welds holding them on.

So yes even though there are no dimples it does indeed have reinforcing in these areas.

It certainly hasn't had any adverse effect on mine. It works fine with any mag, including 40 rounders and a 75 rnd Chinese drum.

Last edited by Ebb27; 02-07-2010 at 20:37..
Ebb27 is offline   Reply With Quote