GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2010, 23:22   #1
VAisForGlockers

Sights: How do you determine which type is right for you?

I have experimented with different style sights on different brands of guns and have noticed that I always shoot better with a 3 dot system (Trijicon, Truglo, Meprolights) on whichever gun I shoot. Its not necessarily that I prefer these but its just that I shoot better with this style. Ive also tried Sevigny Competition, FO fronts with black rear, Ameirglo colored front/black rear,etc. and I am not as accurate. Does anyone know if there is an eye/brain connection to this? Im sure there has to be some connection to sight picture, sight style and brain recognition as far as what system works best for certain people.
VAisForGlockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 00:27   #2
AZBru88

I personally like TruGlo fiber optic green rears, matched with the thinner AmeriGlo fiber optic reds. Lets me see more light around the front sight and get on target quicker. I like the dot system also.
I have found that the AmeriGlo go quite well with the Glock rears also. I have two Glocks set up that way.
The contrast of red/green seem to work the best for me personally.
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:34   #3
DannyR

Everyone's eyes are different. Everyone's experience level is different. Whichever works best for you is best for you. Many longtime shooters prefer all black target sights with a wide rear notch. Grady Whitelaw, one GSSF's top shooters prefers all black for GSSF, but a red fiber optic front for IDPA. I scored my best GSSF matches with plain black sights, but as my eyes have aged in now need the help of a painted front post. Younger shooters that have learned to shoot using 3-dot systems need 3-dot systems. I suspect most younger and/or newer shooters have never seen or used plain black sights.

If you need 3-dot sights, the AmeriGlo Lumanova series is an excellent choice. I'll bring a pistol with Lumanova's to practice on Saturday.
Bull Dawg #1
www.gssfonline.com
https://sites.google.com/site/dannyvickieryan
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:30   #4
MrVvrroomm

Gun sight selection is very subjective. It's basically trial and error.

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:54   #5
TexasPOff
"Dump The Hump"

I'm with Danny on this one, it is whichever you shoot more comfortably with. I started with all black, on my 1911's and brownings. Then went to three dots for many many years on my duty and off duty pistols. I'm not a spring chicken any longer and tried the Two dot straight eight style and have found them to work very well for me now. I like a wide rear notch to allow for a wide view around my front sight. I also prefer AmeriGlo's and have used them for years now. They have a new I-DOT that came out and I really like this one. Their Professional operators are a good chioce as well. The great thing about AmeriGlo is they have a little of everything. Plain black, Fiber Optic, and tritium, in just about every configuration there is. They will also mix and match at your request. Great folks to deal with over there. Best thing to do is find multiple pistols with different sighting platforms, three dot, black, two dot, and try them out. TXPO.
Certified M&P LE Armorer
www.ColdBoreCustom.com "DUMP THE HUMP"
TexasPOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:30   #6
matt c

I seem to use just about any sight as well as the other...I actually aim with my weak hand thumb(it is straight and parallel to the slide) and the sights just confirm I am aligned correct. Over 50 yards and the sights do come into play more. There is no instance where I will ever shoot my pistol over 50 yards in real life(heck even over 20 yards), so it just does not matter to me.
matt c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 17:20   #7
RayB
Retired Member

Black iron sights are still the fastest for those of us with healthy eyes and excellent visual activity. Here's why...

Human eyes have two primary receptor cells--cones and rods.

The cones, working with the brain, perceive color.

The rods, working with the brain, discern contrast, shadow, and movement.

In the fear-threat mode, the human eye-brain sees contrast, shadow and movement, faster than anything else; this includes our peripheral vision.

In low light, the human eye-brain sees the contrast, shadow, and movement components of vision, first and best.

By faster, we're talking fractions of seconds. But when we're talking survival and serious competition, those fractions of seconds can make all the difference!

Still, black iron sights are of little use in near darkness…

Enter tritium night sights! The tritium-charged lamps stimulate the cones in the eyes and allow targeting in near total darkness. They're also passive, in that they won't necessarily reveal your position.

Likewise, fiber optic sights stimulate the cone cells, and while they're a bit slower than iron sights in ample light (with a sharp-eyed shooter), they're a great overall solution for the rest of us!

If you really want to score hits in near darkness, get a laser!

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 18:02   #8
gdawg09
Retired AF FSgt

so here's a "basic" question I have then, what is the difference between Fiber Optic and tritium. they both seem bright, but I've heard that tritium has a limited lifespan. Is that lifespan a function of how often they are in dark or how often they are in the light or just time itself?

Thanks
gdawg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 21:30   #9
AZBru88

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdawg09 View Post
so here's a "basic" question I have then, what is the difference between Fiber Optic and tritium. they both seem bright, but I've heard that tritium has a limited lifespan. Is that lifespan a function of how often they are in dark or how often they are in the light or just time itself?

Thanks
Most modern night sights have a ten year life. They do dim over time. Fiber optic is a light gathering rod. Very bright in the daylight, not at night. Hope that helps...Bru
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:32   #10
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBru88 View Post
Most modern night sights have a ten year life. They do dim over time. Fiber optic is a light gathering rod. Very bright in the daylight, not at night. Hope that helps...Bru

Yeah, that's it!

Tritium sights are self-luminous.

Fiber optic sights gather ambient light.

Here's the blurb from my Night Sight Review...

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or older television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote