Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:55   #1
MetalSlugIV

Price ranges on 1911's with tactical rails

I want a gun for home defense. I'm still on the fence between a glock 17/19 or a 1911. I found a great 1911 at my local gun store for $520. It's a para GI expert. Problem is I want a light for it. If I am going to be investigating the house at night I will need a light. One of the most important things in self defense in target identification. The glock has a gazillion accessories that fit. What are my options for lighting on a 1911? Is a rail simply out of the question at this price range? If I don't get a tac-light is that Harries technique worth practicing with a 1911? Sorry, lots of questions but I have lots to consider.
I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country. -Thomas Jefferson 1816.
MetalSlugIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:10   #2
MD357

At $520.... a well built reliable 1911 W/Rail is out of the question unless you know a competent gunsmith and he owes you. Then again, I'm having problems with my G22 RTF kicking my Pryrocon XTI off the rail with full power loads. Looks like I need to experiment with an XDM?

You decide if your life is worth the extra investment. FWIW, I consider the Harries tech outdated and downright stupid in term real world CQB situations in someone's house but that's just an opinion.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:28   #3
L-2

deleted

Last edited by L-2; 03-27-2011 at 15:07..
L-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:39   #4
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Or you could get the Para and have any smith install a dawson rail for an excellent interface with the available lights..If you buy the rail you could do it for under 160 including install.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:55   #5
majette

taurus 1911's with a rail are about 600.00. i shot one and it was fine, the owner said he put a couple thousand rounds through it and had no problems.
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 16:38   #6
krunchnik
THE CROW

Send a message via Skype™ to krunchnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by majette View Post
taurus 1911's with a rail are about 600.00. i shot one and it was fine, the owner said he put a couple thousand rounds through it and had no problems.
Ill second that,I shot my Taurus PT1911AR with my Streamlight attached and it worked fine,right now I have the TLR-1 mounted on a Kimber TLE/RL II-they both shot without dumping the light on the floor.
SECONDARY-KIMBER PRO CARRY HD II
krunchnik is offline   Reply With Quote