GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2010, 13:48   #1
flieger67

Do recoil rods noticeably affect felt recoil or muzzle rise?

Good afternoon, all. I'm a relative newbie to firearms and Glocks, having just picked up a 19 / RTF2 a few weeks ago.

My wife and I were watching a Glock dis-assembly/re-assembly DVD last night and onscreen presenter mentioned that he'd replaced the guide rod and recoil spring in his Glock and that it reduced recoil. My wife, who is looking to get a pistol in the near future, was very interested in that statement.

I looked up some options on the web for replacement guide rods and springs and found setups from Sprinco and others. Some of these offer dual spring setups (rather like the sub-compact Glocks from what I understand) and claim to reduce felt recoil and muzzle rise.

I was wondering what experiences any of you have had with them and do they really reduce felt recoil in a 9mm? And I have read some of the reports that indicate that some of these setups have caused cycling problems with the slide.

Thank you for your input.
flieger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:53   #2
ricklee4570

I dont see how they can. I have heard all the hype as well. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. So I would say that no, recoil will be measured the same. It is possible that a staged recoil spring could possibly change the "time" that the recoil is felt though.
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:35   #3
DannyR

I've tried titanium, steel and tungsten guide rods and could tell no difference. All my Glocks use factory rods. Best recoil reduction system is free: proper two handed grip, stance and posture.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 17:45   #4
flieger67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
I've tried titanium, steel and tungsten guide rods and could tell no difference. All my Glocks use factory rods. Best recoil reduction system is free: proper two handed grip, stance and posture.
I'm definitely inclined to believe you, Danny. I haven't found many articles where people cite any noticeable reduction in recoil with after-market rods and springs. So I think, like you said, grip, posture and stance are key to taming and/or reducing recoil. And like you said, those are all free.
flieger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:54   #5
Jager1147

Not enough to matter by itself. Recoil can be "tuned" by changing recoil spring weights, and the additional weight of the rod will help a little. The only purpose of this is to get the sights back on target faster. There's not really much you can do to eliminate recoil (compensators aside) so the best thing to do is to learn to control it as DannyR states.

Taking it beyond that, tuning is achieved by way of experimenting with different weight recoil springs and combining them with specific loads. The aftermarket guide rods simply allow you to easily change springs, and many consider the change from plastic to steel an upgrade.

If your new, your best bet is to learn to roll with and control recoil first. Learn to roll with recoil, don't fight against it - that will bring on bad habits. Don't buy anything just yet except range time and ammo. Good luck!

Jager1147 is offline   Reply With Quote