SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2010, 17:31   #1
paul2241

New Glock owner in Indianapolis area in need of training

Hello,
I'm new to handgun ownership, and fairly new to the Indianapolis area. I would like a basic training and safety course for my gen 2 Glock 23. If anyone knows where I can go, or if anyone lives close to me that is experienced, and may be able to help, I'd be open to helping them out too.

Thanks.
paul2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 17:36   #2
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Hello Paul,

There is a "Tactics & Training" sub forum here.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Also, if you go to the NRA's site, you can plug your zip or state in, to find a course near you.

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Regards,
'Drew
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 17:39   #3
paul2241

Thank you
Old 01-30-2010, 17:43   #4
DustyDawg48

Welcome to GT fellow Hoosier. Let us know how everything goes and what you find in your area.
Glock 21 Club member #1109
NRA Life Member
IDPA Member
WSSC of Indiana Member
DustyDawg48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 17:50   #5
Crossfit1981

Check out Pops in indy. I'll go shooting with ya when the weather gets nice. I live 25minutes east of indy.
Crossfit1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 17:54   #6
paul2241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfit1981 View Post
Check out Pops in indy. I'll go shooting with ya when the weather gets nice. I live 25minutes east of indy.
I've been trying to get a hold of the instructor at popguns for a few days and keep missing him. I believe his name is Gary, not sure if you're familiar with those guys over there. That would be cool when it gets nicer out. I actually live in Noblesville, first handgun owner in my family, and have no clue where to go, and obviously no one to go with around here. I feel really stupid going to a range with the lack of knowledge that I have right now. Thanks and feel free to pm me when ever you're going later in the year.
Old 01-31-2010, 13:39   #7
JohnN

Send a message via ICQ to JohnN
Try this website for a basic firearms safety class. http://www.indygunsafety.com/
JohnN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 17:44   #8
swotivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2241 View Post
I've been trying to get a hold of the instructor at popguns for a few days and keep missing him. I believe his name is Gary, not sure if you're familiar with those guys over there. That would be cool when it gets nicer out. I actually live in Noblesville, first handgun owner in my family, and have no clue where to go, and obviously no one to go with around here. I feel really stupid going to a range with the lack of knowledge that I have right now. Thanks and feel free to pm me when ever you're going later in the year.
+1

Wow dude you're way way ahead of the learning curve already! You have no idea how many morons with no clue endanger their own lives and those of the people around them at ranges all around the country every day.

Take a little time to master the safe, basic operation of the pistol before you work on marksmanship and tactics.
swotivated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 17:51   #9
paul2241

Quote:
Originally Posted by swotivated View Post
+1

Wow dude you're way way ahead of the learning curve already! You have no idea how many morons with no clue endanger their own lives and those of the people around them at ranges all around the country every day.

Take a little time to master the safe, basic operation of the pistol before you work on marksmanship and tactics.
Thank you for the kudos. I understand how much of a responsibility I have placed on my shoulders by becoming a firearm owner, and I refuse to to be ignorant on any aspect of it. Be it how the gun actually works, making sure that I know how to properly maintain it, and most importantly how to safely and effectively carry and use it. I don't know how I could live with myself if I ever harmed, a human being, or an animal, that wasn't attacking me with any weapon. That being said, I really wish I could get Gary to call me back, or find another reasonably priced way of gaining knowledge, as I am anxious to shoot it SAFELY! I'm on vacation until next monday, and I've got the "itch"
Old 02-03-2010, 22:21   #10
paul2241

I just got done with Gary at Pop's, and let me tell you, he was AWESOME, very personable and very helpful. Said I'm doing well as far as my safety precautions, and said I was decent for a novice shooter. I will recommend visiting him if you have any questions about the proper way to handle and shoot a firearm. Plus he's a glock armorer, so that's always a plus. I found out I'm right eye dominant, and since I'm left handed that is a huge pain in the ass, and I'm shooting low, which he told me I'm flinching. Time to get to work I suppose. Oh, and I got a nice don hume iwb holster which I'm pretty excited about. If you're a member of GT Gary I want to thank you for all of your help, and I'm sure we'll cross paths soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Tactics and Training - Click for larger version