Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2010, 19:53   #1
tshadow6

BHP for carry

The first handgun I carried was my BHP. I've since retired it in favor of my Glock 19. Does anyone out there still carry their BHP?
tshadow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 20:48   #2
gclefton
Gold Membership

I carry a Robar BHP in a Phantom IWB holster.

My G-19 serves as domestic protection now, since I installed a Viridian X5L.

No need to change.

GC
============================
Old 02-01-2010, 12:41   #3
Brian Dover

Sorta gone the other direction from you, tshadow6. If it's not a 1911 on my hip, chances are it's a Hi Power. Only time I revert to polymer is when in places where the predators come bigger and tougher than humans. Bear/mountain lion country calls for a Glock 20 to my way of thinking.
Old 02-01-2010, 22:48   #4
magpie maniac

Yes, I alternate between a G26 in an MTAC and a BHP Standard in Don Hume leather.
magpie maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 22:01   #5
gp35fn

Of my concealed carry pistols I often carry my Glock 19-its light, great mag capasity(15 rounds) but bulky and not especially accurate, my other carry is a FN frame FM M90 detective build I built.It's smaller less bulky, less rounds (13 vrs 15)but far more accurate-but wieghs more. Of the two I perfer my FN/FM M90 detective over my Glock 19.
Glock 19
The Browning Hi Power Club
My FN/FM M90 detective build.

Last edited by gp35fn; 02-03-2010 at 22:06..
gp35fn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 00:53   #6
Azjeeper

I have two hi powers I carry my fav is my 9mm the .40 is a little too heavy for me but it gets some holster time, the only reason I dont carry a hi power all the time is because sometimes I leave the gun in the car say going into a bar or work or other weapons free zone, my glock 23 is alot less spendy to replace and its kinda hard to walk into a gun shop and even see a hipower let alone buy one in my neck of the woods.
Azjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 17:49   #7
fowler

Why carry a HP or 1911 when you can carry the G19 or G17. Cocked and locked a thing of the past. Keep it simple yank and fire with no hammers or thumb safeties. And no finish wear and cracked frames with plus P ammo when you have Glocks. Did I say about the service life being 3-4 times more with the Glock and no safeties to get missed or jammed on and a hammer that can get blocked. Cocked and locked is like flintlocks !!
fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 18:02   #8
Goodspeed(TPF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshadow6 View Post
The first handgun I carried was my BHP. I've since retired it in favor of my Glock 19. Does anyone out there still carry their BHP?
Yes, on a regular basis.
Goodspeed(TPF) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 18:07   #9
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler View Post
Did I say about the service life being 3-4 times more with the Glock and no safeties to get missed or jammed on and a hammer that can get blocked. Cocked and locked is like flintlocks !!

How do you establish a service life 3-4 times longer with a Glock? Glocks arrived in this country in 1986. That's 24 years. The 1911 has been in service with our armed forces since 1911. Given a model produced in say 1942 during the height of production those pistols are in service for 68 years and counting.

Do your Glocks go through some type of time warp we are not aware of?

By the way the OP did not ask your opinion of the Hi Power or 1911. He asked for info from others who carry the same type of pistol he does.
Old 02-09-2010, 18:12   #10
Glock-it-to-me
Catching liars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshadow6 View Post
No, but I still carry this on occasion:

Glock-it-to-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 18:26   #11
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

Quote:
Why carry a HP or 1911 when you can carry the G19 or G17. Cocked and locked a thing of the past. Keep it simple yank and fire with no hammers or thumb safeties. And no finish wear and cracked frames with plus P ammo when you have Glocks. Did I say about the service life being 3-4 times more with the Glock and no safeties to get missed or jammed on and a hammer that can get blocked. Cocked and locked is like flintlocks !!
If you are very inexperienced, yes a Glock is the "yank and fire" for you. Some of us have decades of experience with C&L and it is second nature. I have a 1938 FN HiPower with tens of thousands of rounds through it including years of service in China during WWII and beyond. It will still be around working when your glock is recycled into an easy bake oven.

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 20:51   #12
Azjeeper

Quote:
Maybe because life is too short to shoot and carry an ugly gun?
Azjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 18:50   #13
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

The P35 is still my favorite pistol, and I carry one of mine quite often.

Here's a 1995 MKIII in LittleBear leather.
Attached Thumbnails
The Browning Hi Power Club - Click for larger version  

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
-Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes Brown v. United States, 1921
rvrctyrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 20:40   #14
Apocalypse_Now
Molon Labe

Quote:
Why carry a HP or 1911 when you can carry the G19 or G17. Cocked and locked a thing of the past. Cocked and locked is like flintlocks !!
This has to be one of the funniest posts of the week. I have Glocks, 1911s and Hi Powers (and others) and I carry a Hi Power as my main CCW. Have you ever even fired one? In combat they beat the pants off of a Glock for speed/rate of fire. I like Glocks, but I LOVE BHPs. the sweet single action trigger has all other autos beat, hands down. Trained gunners know how and when to use a single action safety, it's not a problem
"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. ... Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible instrument of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Tench Coxe 1788.

Last edited by Apocalypse_Now; 02-24-2010 at 20:40..
Apocalypse_Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 22:04   #15
slewfoot
Random Mayhem

Yes, the BHP is my favorite carry pistol.
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 21:53   #16
Apocalypse_Now
Molon Labe

Think about it. The trigger type is very similar to an AR15/M16 and few complain about that..
"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. ... Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible instrument of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Tench Coxe 1788.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:30   #17
Cameronswmp9

Those of you carrying a BHP, what holster are you using? Im thinking leather and IWB. I looked at Milt Sparks, but dont want to wait 6 months or so for a holster.
Old 02-26-2010, 20:32   #18
Apocalypse_Now
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronswmp9 View Post
Those of you carrying a BHP, what holster are you using? Im thinking leather and IWB. I looked at Milt Sparks, but dont want to wait 6 months or so for a holster.
IWB Bianchi Pistol Pocket, Belly band and Galco vertical shoulder holster
Old 02-26-2010, 20:33   #19
Apocalypse_Now
Molon Labe

The Galco also fits my 1911s so it's very versatile
Old 02-27-2010, 22:04   #20
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronswmp9 View Post
I've been using LittleBear leather for a couple of years now (see above post). I don't do IWB, but I'd rank Dave's stuff right up there with the best of them (and I've had them all).

Reasonably priced and relatively short turnaround time for a custom builder (usually 30 days or less).

Check 'em out. Don't see anything you like? Give him a call. He'll make what you need.

LittleBear Custom Holsters

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
-Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes Brown v. United States, 1921
rvrctyrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:08   #21
silversport

nice...
Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 22:15   #22
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

I carry my Yost-built (SRT) Hi-Power on a regular basis in an Askins Avenger style holster. Love the gun...accurate as the day is long, good capacity, relatively light weight, great looking...really tough to beat. Other regular carry guns are a 1911 (Springer Pro) and a G30SF.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 17:48   #23
JK-linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I carry my Yost-built (SRT) Hi-Power on a regular basis in an Askins Avenger style holster. Love the gun...accurate as the day is long, good capacity, relatively light weight, great looking...really tough to beat. Other regular carry guns are a 1911 (Springer Pro) and a G30SF.
I currently have my BHP over at Heirloom for Jason to work some SRT magic on. I miss it terribly on my hip even though it's been a few days. In fact, I ended up buying another as I simply can't wrap my head around not carrying it for several months. The 1911 is another great companion as well, though I shoot it less often than I'd like due to ammunition prices. Both of them ride in IWB holsters, either Kramer leather and WRB cordura depending on what I'm wearing. I love my G30 and it does it's intended job by hanging out wedged into my Lazy Boy most of it's life.
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 23:29   #24
Poohgyrr
trout fear me!

Yup, reliable, accurate, handy, proven; what's not to like.

The one real problem with these is that Browning just does not import enough, and around here, current retail is in the Sig P series range.

Other than that, with maybe a little trigger action work, and new sights or grips, they are simply great pistols. Not to say other pistols are bad. Here is a .40 S&W version that does well (I need a new picture).

John Luke 22:36 Ephesians 4:26-32
357Sig Club #3531 S&W Club #10 BHP Club #35
"Life brings both sorrows and joys alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Last edited by Poohgyrr; 12-11-2010 at 20:48..
Poohgyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:35   #25
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

You folks that are carrying Hi-Powers, have you removed the magazine disconnect? Unlike the Smiths, it seems the disconnect on some HPs keep the magazine from dropping free.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote