Old 03-08-2010, 07:08   #21
silversport

nice...
Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 23:15   #22
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

I carry my Yost-built (SRT) Hi-Power on a regular basis in an Askins Avenger style holster. Love the gun...accurate as the day is long, good capacity, relatively light weight, great looking...really tough to beat. Other regular carry guns are a 1911 (Springer Pro) and a G30SF.

The Browning Hi Power Club

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 17:48   #23
JK-linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I carry my Yost-built (SRT) Hi-Power on a regular basis in an Askins Avenger style holster. Love the gun...accurate as the day is long, good capacity, relatively light weight, great looking...really tough to beat. Other regular carry guns are a 1911 (Springer Pro) and a G30SF.
I currently have my BHP over at Heirloom for Jason to work some SRT magic on. I miss it terribly on my hip even though it's been a few days. In fact, I ended up buying another as I simply can't wrap my head around not carrying it for several months. The 1911 is another great companion as well, though I shoot it less often than I'd like due to ammunition prices. Both of them ride in IWB holsters, either Kramer leather and WRB cordura depending on what I'm wearing. I love my G30 and it does it's intended job by hanging out wedged into my Lazy Boy most of it's life.
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 23:29   #24
Poohgyrr
trout fear me!

Yup, reliable, accurate, handy, proven; what's not to like.

The one real problem with these is that Browning just does not import enough, and around here, current retail is in the Sig P series range.

Other than that, with maybe a little trigger action work, and new sights or grips, they are simply great pistols. Not to say other pistols are bad. Here is a .40 S&W version that does well (I need a new picture).

The Browning Hi Power Club
Snoopy Lives!! Luke 22:36 Ephesians 4:26-32
357Sig Club #3531 S&W Club #10 BHP Club #35
"Life brings both sorrows and joys alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Last edited by Poohgyrr; 12-11-2010 at 21:48..
Poohgyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:35   #25
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

You folks that are carrying Hi-Powers, have you removed the magazine disconnect? Unlike the Smiths, it seems the disconnect on some HPs keep the magazine from dropping free.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:39   #26
Brian Dover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
You folks that are carrying Hi-Powers, have you removed the magazine disconnect? Unlike the Smiths, it seems the disconnect on some HPs keep the magazine from dropping free.
Yes I have, Bucky. That operation also helps the trigger pull. As you can imagine there is some (all too heated at times) debate about removal of a safety device from any firearm, but we all have to make our own decisions and deal with the ramifications of same.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:54   #27
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dover View Post
Yes I have, Bucky. That operation also helps the trigger pull. As you can imagine there is some (all too heated at times) debate about removal of a safety device from any firearm, but we all have to make our own decisions and deal with the ramifications of same.
I guess it depends if you view it to be an actual safety. You'll note in my post, I did not refer to it as such.

Interesting to note, IDPA considers it a safety (and therefore "illegal" to remove) while USPSA does not.

Did Browning ever offer the HP without one? (They should IMHO).
Old 05-04-2010, 10:35   #28
Brian Dover

There were some made during WWII without the mag disconnect, as a time/cost saving measure. None since, to the best of my knowledge.

You're correct about that IDPA rule by the way. Didn't want to get into a long discourse about the topic--time's a little short today--but a good smith can reduce the trigger pull without removing the disconnect, involves a good deal of polishing to make the mags drop free that way though.

Also, Cylinder and Slide sells a replacement trigger that has no mag disconnect gizmo. Can't recall if that modification is IDPA compliant, however.

Take a look at http://hipowersandhandguns.com sometime, both the main site's pages and the forums for lotsa BHP specific info.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:57   #29
MatGlock

I carry one of my BHP's from time to time in a RM lowrider holster. I have to admit I have migrated a little from the more 'practical' guns like the glocks to the guns that I love to shoot and shoot well. I also carry a 40 year old Walther PP in 32 alot. Not particularly potent, but very accurate and easy to carry.
MatGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:39   #30
Hubadub

I carry my Hi Power in a Crossbreed Supertuck in the cooler months.I live in North Carolina and when it gets hot down here my wardrobe isn`t conducive with carrying the Browning so I carry a Kahr PM9.It`s funny,when cooler weather allows me to carry the Hi Power,I find myself strutting a bit.Just something about that handgun that`s a cut above the rest.Seems like that to me anyhow.
Old 06-13-2010, 19:24   #31
F224

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler View Post
Why carry a HP or 1911 when you can carry the G19 or G17. Cocked and locked a thing of the past. Keep it simple yank and fire with no hammers or thumb safeties. And no finish wear and cracked frames with plus P ammo when you have Glocks. Did I say about the service life being 3-4 times more with the Glock and no safeties to get missed or jammed on and a hammer that can get blocked. Cocked and locked is like flintlocks !!
I carry two different Hipowers, both built by Cylinder & Slide and one is a rare alloy frame, 6 ounces lighter. If I get in a struggle with a perp it will be on safe and he can't shoot me with it if he does not know how it works...cocked and locked is not dead. BTW, I could never hit beyond 50 yards with my four Glocks worth a hoot, but with my 1911's and my BHP's 100+ is possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
F224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:06   #32
heliguy

My BHP is my Sunday gun carried in an MTAC.

Mon = Glock 27
Tues = Walther ppks
Wed. = SA V10 Ultra
THu. = Taurus Millenium
Fri = Glock 27
Sat = ParaOrd P14-45

Last edited by heliguy; 01-07-2011 at 16:09..
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:18   #33
jamaicanj

Subscribed
Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
Glock Certified Armorer & GSSF Member
jamaicanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 19:43   #34
JTB1967

I have 1911' BHP's, Glocks, etc., but don't like mixing them for CCW. I don't want to have to think safety, no safety, etc.
JTB1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 21:13   #35
Two Guns
VIP MEMBER

I carried a Hi Power for a couple of years.I had to sell it to a friend to pay some property taxes.I am going to my friends on Saturday to try to get it back.Then I will be carrying a Hi Power once again.
Old 01-23-2011, 21:29   #36
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler View Post
Why carry a HP or 1911 when you can carry the G19 or G17. Cocked and locked a thing of the past. Keep it simple yank and fire with no hammers or thumb safeties. And no finish wear and cracked frames with plus P ammo when you have Glocks. Did I say about the service life being 3-4 times more with the Glock and no safeties to get missed or jammed on and a hammer that can get blocked. Cocked and locked is like flintlocks !!
If you can't figure out how to work a safety should you really be carrying a gun?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:43   #37
silversport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
If you can't figure out how to work a safety should you really be carrying a gun?
why do doctors use a scalpel when an axe will lay you open with one swing???

Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:59   #38
heliguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
1911's are like manual transmission cars. Some like the 'retro' feel of outdated technology.....And all the extra hassle that comes with it...
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:41   #39
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
1911's are like manual transmission cars. Some like the 'retro' feel of outdated technology.....And all the extra hassle that comes with it...
Old 01-29-2011, 21:59   #40
Poohgyrr
trout fear me!

LOL laughing at myself again for double posting! sheesh!!

Last edited by Poohgyrr; 01-29-2011 at 22:06..
Poohgyrr is offline   Reply With Quote