SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:52   #1
mike28w

VZ 58 questions / opinions ?

Hi guys,

I know that I'm in unknown territory here as I'm mostly a handgun guy. But let me ask for your opinions.....

I bought a Russain SKS recently and I must say it's a lot of fun to shoot. But , it is a little heavy and awkward. I'm thinking of trading my SKS for a Czech VZ 58 ( obviously with cash). I've read good comments on these guns and find them interesting.....

I would appreciate your opinions about this idea..... would I regret giving up SKS ? Should I be looking at an AK instead ?? Why ?? Anyone here own a VZ 58 ?? Help !!
mike28w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 13:27   #2
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

Yes, I have one, of course.
The Kalashnikov Klub
I would keep the Russian SKS, first of all. If you're wanting a cousin to the AK, get the VZ, but keep in mind the VZ and AK share nothing...not even mags, nor the operating system, they just sort of look the same.
The VZ is a nice, handy rifle on a milled receiver. It feels lighter than even a stamped AK.
Old 01-31-2010, 13:33   #3
mike28w

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post
Yes, I have one, of course.
The Kalashnikov Klub
I would keep the Russian SKS, first of all. .......
Thanks for your time !! Can I ask why you say to keep the SKS ??? ( I'm really a newby at this 7.62 x 39 stuff ! ) mike
Old 01-31-2010, 14:18   #4
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

Russian SKSs are desirable. Really, anything authentically Russian is desirable. Yes, the SKS is heavy, but if you think the Russian version is hefty, try the Yugo with the grenade launcher.
Old 01-31-2010, 14:41   #5
ridgearms

The vz is an excellent rifle. I owned one for about a year and put about 3000 rounds through it without a single hiccup. I mean not one fte or ftf or anything. It was good for hitting gongs out to two hundred regularly. The receivers are milled as mentioned and they are built tough. The only issue with them is mounting optics. Czech point has a new railed handguard that is very well made and there is always attaching a ak side rail but other than that, as far as former soviet union weapons go it is top notch in my books. If you have the money, I say go for it. I think classic arms has a great deal on them.
ridgearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:08   #6
mike28w

Thanks guys for your time and input !! mike
Old 02-03-2010, 23:22   #7
gp35fn

Dump the SKS, at it's inception it was 2nd rate-compred to a AK it's a lost cause-the VZ58 makes the AK look weak, it has a milled reciever, weighs as much as a stamped AKM is more accurate-that and the bolt hold open on the last round-and stays open during mag changes, its smaller and handles better-if you have to own just one make it a VZ58 a real Czech made one not one of the american reciever/barreled ones.
The Kalashnikov Klub

Last edited by gp35fn; 02-03-2010 at 23:26..
gp35fn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 15:37   #8
Nestor
Lean & Mean

I'm waiting for mine right now.
New arrival from Czech Republic.
Regarding the optic mount...take a look here:
http://www.fabsports.ca/mainang.html
and here
http://rauchtactical.com/products/vz-58/
and here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PqAk-qianA

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:10   #9
snappydad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp35fn View Post
...make it a VZ58 a real Czech made one not one of the american reciever/barreled ones.
The Kalashnikov Klub
Aside from value as a potential collectible, is there an appreciable difference in the quality control, reliability or functionality of the Czech receiver compared to the US made one? I'm saving for a VZ-58 as well and just want to know if there is a functional reason for the $300-$400 difference between the two. Any experience with the two is appreciated!
snappydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:25   #10
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Except for the longer Yugoslavian model, the SKS is usually considered very well balanced. Maybe removing the bayonet will help you handle the SKS. The rear sight notch is a bit narrow for some eyes but a cheap replacement with a wider notch cut can be used and the original one saved. The SKS was never a perfected design but was an accepted design for what they cost to make. The original stocks would crack and The Soviets changed them for plywood stocks with an extra cross bolt.

The VZ58 is good design. It's a bit more dirt sensitive than the AK but only if you roll around in the mud with it. The SKS has the same problem. The Czech-made models are best. The single stack mag, thumb hole stock model is 100% Czech parts. The ones converted to take military magazines have issues with the early ones not holding the magazine securely. Make sure to check this. The later ones shouldn't have this problem but they might and a used one is most likely to have this issue. These also have US-made parts added which may vary in quality but I haven't heard any issues with them.

A major safety issue with the VZ58 is assembly is possible with the bolt locking piece missing. Even with it missing the rifle can be fired. The bolt won't be locked and can break through the rear of the receiver. Always make sure the bolt locking piece is in place before firing.

The fixed stock and the folding stock are interchangeable. There aren't as many accessories and parts available for the VZ58 as some other rifles. There are some demilled parts kits available which are nice to have for quality spare parts.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 15:47   #11
Novocaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp35fn View Post
Dump the SKS, at it's inception it was 2nd rate-compred to a AK it's a lost cause-the VZ58 makes the AK look weak...
That's why Czechs are trying to replace VZ58 with an AK-based weapon for the last three decades or so.

As to SKS being 2nd rate at inception, SKS saw service in WW2, AK didnít exist at the time. And SKS was never second rate to AK per se, those two are different weapons each designed to answer a different military doctrine. Something a civilian shooter is hard pressed to care less about.

For a law abiding civilian an issue SKS will do everything (and probably more) a neutered AK will do.

To the OP. The price of your Russian SKS is climbing as we speak. Since you bought it recently you will lose some money on it now in all the likelihood. But keep it for a year or two and you will sell it for more than what you paid for it. In a meantime you can shoot the crap out of it, it still will go up in value.
Novocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 18:10   #12
-gunut-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novocaine View Post
That's why Czechs are trying to replace VZ58 with an AK-based weapon for the last three decades or so.
According to what?

Whenever the Soviets designated a service firearm (be it military/police), the Czech Republic always had their own version. I have never heard of them trying to trade the VZ58 to the AK. Do you have a source?

Quote:
Torture tests are silly and prove nothing about a gun. Hell you pour sand down MY ass crack and I'll jam up and and fail to extract...
-gunut- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 18:24   #13
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

The Czechs did try to replace the VZ58 with a 5.56 AK called a CZ-2000. (originally called the "Lada" chambered in both 5.56 and 5.45) They didn't have the money to pull it off but they did issue a few of them for testing. They abandoned the CZ-2000 now for a plastic wonder rifle that sort of looks a bit like an H&K G36. It's unofficially called the CZ-805 or CZ-S805 or CZ-S805A. Some of these are being tested now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8CZ_2000
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote