Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2010, 21:47   #1
bdcremer
The No SpinZone

Double Tap using montana gold jhp in place of XTP?

Just got a box of 180 gr. Double Tap controlled expansion for my G29. I thought they used the XTP bullet but instead I got the Montana Gold JHP. Anyone else noticed this change? I would prefer the XTP because of the good reputation XTP has.

Kinda of disconcerting for a box of ammo at $40 a pop.
bdcremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 22:03   #2
Tmygun

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1174877

Please see this thread about Double Tap.

Tmygun
Tmygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:29   #3
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

whats going on with them lately?

if i order Win STHPs i expect Win STHP.

if i order 165gr. Got Dots i dont want 180gr. Golden Sabers....et cetera....

i guess its best to buy locally so you can inspect the ammo. im not too far from the Georgia Arms company but ive ordered from DT twice because of all the prior good press from folks on here like G33 or was it G29?

anyway all ive read latey is bad press about them and its got me wondering if i should just pony up more dough and go with Cor-Bon, theyve always been consistant with me and ive always got exactly what i ordered when i bought from them on line directly.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:50   #4
gatorboy

www.reedsammo.com
www.buffalobore.com

I just got a shipment from Reeds last week. He is an honest man who responds to e-mail in a professional, timely manner. I waited two months for 400 rds. but my CC was'nt charged until the day my ammo shipped. Ammo was reaonably priced and looks excellent, will find out in about an hour or so.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:54   #5
bdcremer
The No SpinZone

I received an email back from Double Tap in one day. They replied that they had an issue with getting the proper supply of XTP bullets and so they went to Montana Gold. Double Tap said they sent them their specs for 180 & 200 grain controlled expansion JHP and will perform the same as XTP but with slightly more accuracy.

I would prefer they put that on their website before you drop $40 for a box of ammo.
Old 02-02-2010, 22:08   #6
PATRICE
. . . . .

Last edited by PATRICE; 02-07-2010 at 07:52..
PATRICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 13:33   #7
Tmygun

Yes, I was the one who called them out for using MG 180gr. JHP bullets in place of the advertised 200gr. JHP controlled expansion bullets. MG does not make a 200gr. JHP. I still haven't heard a thing from Double Tap about this. Like I said, they won't be getting anymore of my business.

Tmygun
Old 02-03-2010, 17:31   #8
bdcremer
The No SpinZone

I think Double Tap might be a victim of their own success. If they start going down this less than honest route then they will have no business. Lets hope they get things squared away because I like the full load 10mm, not the lite loaded other stuff.
Old 02-03-2010, 17:41   #9
Rob Oertel

Ok, I just went to the mg web site. I went to their price chart. The only 10mm/40 cal bullet that I see listed there in 200grs is cmj, complete metal jacket. To late for me to phone them but a call might be warranted just to make sure their web site is up to date. Simply in the interest of having complete information.
Rob Oertel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 19:06   #10
Tmygun

My box of DT ammo says 200gr. JHP controlled expansion. I pulled two of the bullets and weighed them. They are 180grs. After I weighed them and found them to be 180grs., I checked the MG bullet site and noticed that they don't make a 200gr. JHP, only a 200gr FMJ. I contacted DT about this three times and heard nothing.

Tmygun
Old 02-03-2010, 19:26   #11
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
My box of DT ammo says 200gr. JHP controlled expansion. I pulled two of the bullets and weighed them. They are 180grs. After I weighed them and found them to be 180grs., I checked the MG bullet site and noticed that they don't make a 200gr. JHP, only a 200gr FMJ. I contacted DT about this three times and heard nothing.

Tmygun
and me thinks you never will....

this is sad that no explaination is given by them......i guess its back to Win STHP for me because BB is just too expensive and CB doesnt load a 180 grain and the 165's are not much faster than their .40s&w loads....

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 19:41   #12
Tmygun

Hey cowboywannabe, why don't you start handloading your own ammo? I've reloaded for quite a few years now and enjoy it almost as much as shooting. You'd save yourself money and could make loads equal to DT.

Tmygun
Old 02-03-2010, 21:03   #13
seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
www.reedsammo.com
www.buffalobore.com

I just got a shipment from Reeds last week. He is an honest man who responds to e-mail in a professional, timely manner. I waited two months for 400 rds. but my CC was'nt charged until the day my ammo shipped. Ammo was reaonably priced and looks excellent, will find out in about an hour or so.
+1. I've had the same experience with Reed's. They are very up-front, honest, quick to respond and stand up...and reasonably priced compared to competitors. However, I also have yet to shoot the ammo, so stay tuned.

Don't be put off by their web-site. They will be the first to tell you that it isn't the best looking web-site. But they are very professional in my experience.
seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 21:06   #14
Taterhead
Counting Beans

+1 for handloading. I love handloading/reloading. My practice reloads only cost me about 18 cents per round and my brass lasts a long time.

Full power loads with premium projectiles and new brass are still only about 45 cents per round. That is about half price or less compared to our favorite factory stuff.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:44   #15
RyeDaddy

+2 for handloading. I also enjoy it as much as shooting, and I can make ANY load I desire. Was absolutely worth the investment.
RyeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 14:36   #16
10mm29

Quote:

Tmygun
I have found the same thing. I just recieved an order on 2/5/10 I ordered the variety pack and out of 4 boxes only 2 are what I ordered. The 200 grn controlled exp went over the chrono @ 1200 fps from my stock glock 29 which equaled the two 180 grain loadings they sent me. I don't think I need to weigh them to figure that one out. I also ordered a 165 grain but they must have been out because I got 180's

First, last and only time I do business with double tap.
10mm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 21:42   #17
Tmygun

This just shows they don't care about the customer. I'm sure they've gotten plenty of complaints by now, yet they still send out the wrong stuff.

Tmygun
Old 02-11-2010, 23:22   #18
hypnagogue

Sorry guys, another satisfied customer

Quote:
This just shows they don't care about the customer. I'm sure they've gotten plenty of complaints by now, yet they still send out the wrong stuff.
Tmygun
I hate to disappoint you, but I have once again received 200 rounds of exactly what I ordered from Doubletap. Never had an incorrect order, never had a single bad round (five orders in four calibers, so far: 10mm, 40 S&W, 45 Colt, 454 Casull). Shipping, as always, was cheap and quick. I even gave them a recommendation at the gunstore today as I picked up my 20sf (finally!).

Today's delivery: 165gr GS, 135gr Nosler, 200gr WFNGC. All exactly right.
hypnagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:18   #19
the iceman
CLM Number 276
Proud Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnagogue View Post
I hate to disappoint you, but I have once again received 200 rounds of exactly what I ordered from Doubletap. Never had an incorrect order, never had a single bad round (five orders in four calibers, so far: 10mm, 40 S&W, 45 Colt, 454 Casull). Shipping, as always, was cheap and quick. I even gave them a recommendation at the gunstore today as I picked up my 20sf (finally!).

No reason to be sorry. I am glad to hear they are at least treating some cuustomers right.
Old 02-12-2010, 17:19   #20
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:

I echo this statement. I ordered several different shipments in 2009 and I received precisely what I purchased and with speedy delivery. My brother has had the exact same results. I also sent no less than four different e-mail questions about products. I received replies on each within 24 hours - all from Mike McNett personally.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 20:13   #21
Tmygun

All I can say is email Mike McNett and ask him why he sustituted the 200 gr. Hornady XTPs with the cheaper priced Montana Gold 180gr. JHPs bullets. Tell him you ordered a box of 200gr. JHP controlled expansion ammo and received a box that said 200gr., but were really loaded with 180gr. JHP bullets.
Let's see if you get an email back then

Tmygun
Old 02-13-2010, 07:29   #22
R0CKETMAN
NRA MEMBER

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
I echo this statement. I ordered several different shipments in 2009 and I received precisely what I purchased and with speedy delivery. My brother has had the exact same results. I also sent no less than four different e-mail questions about products. I received replies on each within 24 hours - all from Mike McNett personally.
Another 100% satisfied customer here. I've ordered more DT than most with Zero issues. Thanks Mike for all you've done for the 10mm.

"Home of the Free because of the Brave"

shop.harrisoncustom.com
R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:55   #23
jesse_james

all my double tap orders are exactly what I order... For us 10mm shooters good ammo is hard to come by and I greatly appreciate Mike and his vision of an ammunition company. It has made REAL 10mm ammo accessable to EVERYONE!!!!
jesse_james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:58   #24
why

Quote:
All I can say is email Mike McNett and ask him why he sustituted the 200 gr. Hornady XTPs with the cheaper priced Montana Gold 180gr. JHPs bullets. Tell him you ordered a box of 200gr. JHP controlled expansion ammo and received a box that said 200gr., but were really loaded with 180gr. JHP bullets.
Let's see if you get an email back then

Tmygun
IME, Mike has quit responding to emails a couple of years ago. I tried to get some clarification on a $1k+ order a while back (as did my dealer) and we could not get a response to email or phone messges. Before that, you couldnt ask for better service.
But switching out bullets and selling them as something else has crossed the line. Thats Fraud.
why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:08   #25
MSgt Dotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcremer View Post
I Double Tap said they sent them their specs for 180 & 200 grain controlled expansion JHP and will perform the same as XTP but with slightly more accuracy.

I would prefer they put that on their website before you drop $40 for a box of ammo.
Xtps aren't known for shedding their jackets and coming apart...

DT could at least simply suspend sales of the 200 gr "controlled expansion" load, or, rename it 180 gr TJF (Total Jacket Failure)....
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote