Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2010, 20:06   #1
mixflip

What do the shotgun guys think of this new Mossberg?

Tactical Shotguns

I like the idea of a pump with the same ghost ring sights as my 930 SPX. Plus being able to attach a bayonet like the old 590 is still cool.
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 20:50   #2
CBennett

get rid of the knife and its cool...unless your in trench warfare ... That said I DONT like Ghost Rings for a close up gun(good for further out though for slugs ) but I like the 590 as a whole..I have a 870 and I think I actually like the 590 better.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 21:02   #3
mixflip

I agree ghost rings are better suited for longer distance shots but I read a field test of a 930SPX effectively hitting targets with slugs out to 150 yards and progressively advanced on the targets checking zero. Then switched to buck at 25 yards. That being said, I like the option of having extended range from my shotgun. I dont think I could hit a man sized target with a slug at 100 yards with a bead sight?

They definately dont hurt close range shotgun shooting in my opinion.
Old 01-29-2010, 21:04   #4
motorcyclist

You'll poke your eye out! I don't understand the knife. If the bad guy is close enough to stab...just shoot them! I'm not a fan of ghost rings either but the 590 is otherwise a solid shotgun.
motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 21:08   #5
mixflip

Maybe the bayonet is for a last ditch SHTF situation when your gun runs out of ammo and you get rushed before you can reload or transition to another gun? Not needed but a nice option to have in a marshal law/hurricaine katrina situation?
Old 01-29-2010, 21:37   #6
Victoriagotagun

I think it would of been better if they attached the GRS to the top of the receiver and attached the rail in front of it.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 00:37   #7
k594

yea the bayonet is definitely just a novelty imo but still a solid shotgun
k594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:13   #8
Janno05

I love the LPA's on my 930SPX. Looks like a solid shotgun.
Old 01-30-2010, 16:20   #9
fragout

Ghost ring sights are awesome for buckshot with an IC choke. We used ghost ring sights in the Army on 18" and 20" 870's and 590/500's. We never shot slugs through them (except for powdered breaching slugs). Rifled sights are for slugs, ghost rings are for laying down the buckshot.
Operation Restore Hope/ Gothic Serpent
fragout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 16:26   #10
aippi

You asked......... Me thinks "tacti-fool"........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 16:41   #11
deadday

Quote:
Originally Posted by k594 View Post
yea the bayonet is definitely just a novelty imo but still a solid shotgun
The bayonet lug was added to meet MilSpec on the 590A1 and I imagine was just carried over into civilian lines to avoid changing the manufacturing process..
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:18   #12
Devin459

Man, when are they going to get a new foregrip? The gun itself is cool, but they need to get a more tactical foregrip in my opinion. And maybe a better action that isn't so loose and shaky, but is just as reliable. As for the ghost ring, I love it, the bayonet could do without(could get snagged when trying to employ the gun in defensive situations.) Otherwise great looking gun. I'm sure the price is right too, like all other mossys.
Devin459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:27   #13
pmwglock19

I saw a youtube video on tactical shotgun training where they teach how to hit a target out to 100 yards. The shotgun had ghostring sites.
pmwglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 15:02   #14
metro273
Glock 19 Rocks!

Like the shotgun but lose the bayonet!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:13   #15
keninnavarre
bulletproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadday View Post
The bayonet lug was added to meet MilSpec on the 590A1 and I imagine was just carried over into civilian lines to avoid changing the manufacturing process..
Exactly. Its a Milspec shotgun. I doubt if many that own them leave the bayo on them. Its a nice bayonet, though. Mine came with an Ontario Knife brand bayonet, with the Bianchi sheath. A nice extra I think. But Im sure I paid for it in the price of the shotgun.

If you dont want the bayonet, its really no problem to sell them for $100.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:51   #16
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Few ever use the bayonet, even in the military. But there's times when it does come in handy (extreme close quarters for last ditch use, as well as crowd control) just like on a rifle.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 13:16   #17
krush777

Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriagotagun View Post
I think it would of been better if they attached the GRS to the top of the receiver and attached the rail in front of it.
I am trying to visualize this. Why would you see this as a good set-up. I have only shot 00 buck and never fired a shotgun with sites. And I am looking for a goos tactical shotgun set-up.
Old 02-01-2010, 13:27   #18
mixflip

He is probably reffering to the way Benelli mounts it but its not a better setup per se' since no matter how its mounted you cant co-witness of ghost ring sights and the red dot sight mounted to the picatinny rail on either setup. i.e. (GRS mounted on a pic rail vs GRS mounted on the receiver w/ pic rail in front of it)
Old 02-02-2010, 15:36   #19
krush777

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
He is probably reffering to the way Benelli mounts it but its not a better setup per se' since no matter how its mounted you cant co-witness of ghost ring sights and the red dot sight mounted to the picatinny rail on either setup. i.e. (GRS mounted on a pic rail vs GRS mounted on the receiver w/ pic rail in front of it)
Ok. I can see that. My 870 Home Defense Model just has a bead site on the front. So I am considering adding sites versus just buying a shotgun with site so that shooting slug accurately at targets "a little further away" would be an option. Any Ideas?
Old 02-02-2010, 19:15   #20
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclist View Post
You'll poke your eye out! I don't understand the knife. If the bad guy is close enough to stab...just shoot them!
I believe the idea is that if you run out of ammo and the bad guy is close enough to stab, you stab 'em... It's kind of a last resort measure.
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Last edited by txleapd; 02-03-2010 at 03:33..
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote