SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2010, 22:37   #1
Morgo

Convert a .40 barrel to .357 Sig

Hey guys,

I'm wondering how hard it would be for a gunsmith to convert a .40cal barrel to .357 sig?

I'm looking at having a gunsmith extend the length of some original barrels in various .40 cal pistols to suit legal requirements on barrel length and then I imagine he would sleeve the whole lenght of the barrel and recut it to suit .357 Sig? Does this sound about right? Would you say its doable for a decent smith?
Morgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 22:45   #2
tank mechanic

Is there some kind of legal hurdle getting replacement barrels in Australia?
tank mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 22:49   #3
railfancwb

Glock?

I don't know what the rules in OZ are concerning ordering barrels, but if you can order a Lone Wolf (or other) barrel which will satisfy the length requirement, that is the way to go.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=240
Old 02-02-2010, 23:06   #4
Morgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank mechanic View Post
Is there some kind of legal hurdle getting replacement barrels in Australia?
No, not really.
It's the US thats making it hard with the new US export restrictions. Before we could readily get what ever aftermarket barrels we wanted and I had planned on going with a lone wolf or storm lake etc
Old 02-02-2010, 23:23   #5
JohnKSa

I would think a smith could do it. I would also think it would be much cheaper to buy what you want, even if you had to order it from overseas.
JohnKSa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 18:36   #6
PostalGlock'n

What?????

Unless the gunsmith could weld up the inside of the barrel then bore it to .355" I don't think you can convert a larger bore to a smaller. (This was a sarcastic solution, please don't try to weld the inside of a barrel)

A 9mm barrel could be reamed to .357Sig, but I wouldn't recommend this because of the smaller breech notch of the 9mm compaired to the .40. This would leave a small gap on both sides of the barrel and the slide.

A stock Glock .357 barrel would drop into the like sized 40 Glock.
PostalGlock'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 19:41   #7
JohnKSa

It's done quite often, but generally to fix a barrel that has been shot out. The bore is drilled out and then a barrel liner is installed.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...E_BARREL_LINER
Old 02-20-2010, 23:59   #8
Morgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalGlock'n View Post
What?????

Unless the gunsmith could weld up the inside of the barrel then bore it to .355" I don't think you can convert a larger bore to a smaller. (This was a sarcastic solution, please don't try to weld the inside of a barrel)

A 9mm barrel could be reamed to .357Sig, but I wouldn't recommend this because of the smaller breech notch of the 9mm compaired to the .40. This would leave a small gap on both sides of the barrel and the slide.

A stock Glock .357 barrel would drop into the like sized 40 Glock.
Its not an odd thing and is done more often then you might think. As for getting a stock barrel, thats not really an option for several reasons.
Old 02-21-2010, 00:26   #9
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

There have been some guys in Australia able to get a few barrels, one at a time, imported to Australia. Some guys have reported the barrels never made it and think customs took them but they never heard about them. The ones that did make it were to get 40 S&W pistols converted to 357 Sig but that a few years ago when Australia first changed the regulations. I guess if you kept 40 S&W the only ammo would be handloads with used brass and cast bullets.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:19   #10
Morgo

Since the law change (several years back) lots of people have imported barrels with very little trouble. That was untill recently when the US made exporting things from the states an expensive and troublesome venture.

As for shooting .40, people still do and factory ammo is available off the shelves.

Last edited by Morgo; 02-21-2010 at 02:22..
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17   #11
PostalGlock'n

Yes, barrel can be relined, but generally those are rimfire or old low pressure rounds. You would need enough material in the host barrel to ream out the bore and chamber.

Here is a link to a fellow that sleeved a Beretta to shoot .30 Luger.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...-luger-192318/

My opinion is that the most sound way would be to ream a 9MM barrel to 357Sig and maybe weld a touch to each side of the barrel hood to be filed to fit the 40 slide breech.
PostalGlock'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 18:52   #12
JohnKSa

Old 02-23-2010, 16:04   #13

I am curious, why can't you order the barrel from a different country? I get the impression you are talking about a Glock. Can you get it from Austria?

Last edited by 1006; 02-23-2010 at 16:06..
1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:34   #14
birdaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgo View Post
Hey guys,

I'm wondering how hard it would be for a gunsmith to convert a .40cal barrel to .357 sig?

I'm looking at having a gunsmith extend the length of some original barrels in various .40 cal pistols to suit legal requirements on barrel length and then I imagine he would sleeve the whole lenght of the barrel and recut it to suit .357 Sig? Does this sound about right? Would you say its doable for a decent smith?
Check out this web site. Hope this helps ya.
birdaug
[URL]http://glockparts.com/?mainURL=/store/category/d5g3/Lone_Wolf_Non-Ported.html[/URL]
birdaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 16:40   #15
eisman
CLM Number 127
ARGH!

Before I'd attempt to sleeve a Glock barrel I'd make a new one out of a barrel blank.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 17:29   #16
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
I am curious, why can't you order the barrel from a different country? I get the impression you are talking about a Glock. Can you get it from Austria?
Most countries other than the US control firearm barrels. In much of Europe any part that is "exposed" to chamber pressure is controlled, such as slides, bolts, barrels and firing pins. Also the US and other countries have import and export regulations of any gun parts.

Last edited by GIockGuy24; 02-24-2010 at 17:30..
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:14   #17
Morgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
Getting those kind of parts through customs is a hassle, most dealers already had it sorted when getting parts from the US.

Glock only makes the standard size glock barrel in .357 sig, which is not a legal size here, if they made a .357 sig barrel for a 35 I would get it.
I did look into getting the standard size barrel though, but it was going to take 8 weeks and cost almost as much as a custom barrel and it would still need to be extended to meet the 120mm barrel length.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:16   #18
Morgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdaug View Post
Check out this web site. Hope this helps ya.
birdaug
http://glockparts.com/?mainURL=/stor...on-Ported.html
Thanxs for the try, but it looks as though they will only ship to the US.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:25   #19
Morgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisman View Post
Before I'd attempt to sleeve a Glock barrel I'd make a new one out of a barrel blank.
This is what I will most likely end up having done now.

I know of two gunsmiths here that can make me a top class pistol barrel, but they are not cheap starting at $500. Still, I doubt I could find a better barrel then and wouldn't be able to blame the pistol ever again
Old 02-25-2010, 02:08   #20
Morgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
Most countries other than the US control firearm barrels. In much of Europe any part that is "exposed" to chamber pressure is controlled, such as slides, bolts, barrels and firing pins. Also the US and other countries have import and export regulations of any gun parts.
We don't have that problem, anything but a pistol frame can be bought without and form of regulation.
Slides, barrels, small parts etc are all non controlled parts here and can be bought with out any worries if its already in the country, its just getting them through customs that is the hassle for some reason.
Its not just firearm parts either, I bought a Spyderco Caspian dive knife recently and customs was trying to tell me it was a dagger and a push knife, they didn't want me to have it and yet I have daggers etc already that I bought here, go figure