Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-03-2010, 21:47   #1
Havasu

Smith 22A

Anyone have any input on the S&W 22A? I'm thinking of purchasing one and would like any and all input, good or bad, on your experience or opinion. Thanks.
Havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 22:52   #2
GlockPride
Glock 23

My FFL had one that we shot at the range a couple of times. No problems to speak of and took a reddot easily.
The only thing is the weird mag release. I would buy one if I could pick it up for $180-200.
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 00:28   #3
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

I have one-Very accurate and mine is not ammo picky-it even likes Rem blunderbolts
The mag release is funky at first but now I LOVE IT
I have a reddot on it and it's truly a fun gun unless your a
Rimfire Forum OR Rimfire Forum
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:37   #4
JFrame

Unless S&W has redesigned it since I bought mine (actually a 22S), you might want to lay in a small supply of nylon recoil buffer pads. They get chewed up pretty well after 500-600 rounds. I've heard S&W gives a few out for free if you ask them.

Otherwise -- my comments echo the others. Mine has been reliable, even with cheap bulk ammo. Surprisingly accurate piece also, and very comfortable in the hand.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 13:16   #5
Havasu

Thanks for the input, folks. Looks like there's one on my "to buy" list.

Larry
Old 02-04-2010, 13:49   #6
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

On my first disassembly of my 22S, I shot the recoil spring across the yard, lost it. Called S&W and asked to buy the spring assy and some buffers. They sent them free then asked if I needed any more help.

Love the long barrel.

Great doing business with them and fine support. They actually refused my CCard.

I hate the finish on the ss frame. Solvents attacked it.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 13:58   #7
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
Unless S&W has redesigned it since I bought mine (actually a 22S), you might want to lay in a small supply of nylon recoil buffer pads. They get chewed up pretty well after 500-600 rounds. I've heard S&W gives a few out for free if you ask them.

Otherwise -- my comments echo the others. Mine has been reliable, even with cheap bulk ammo. Surprisingly accurate piece also, and very comfortable in the hand.

My recoil buffer is past the 5000(well past)rounds now and gun did come with extra buffer
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 20:36   #8
Caladan

Our 22A is easily as accurate as our MKIII, Buckmark, and Neos. Also not ammo-picky either. The trigger isn't as nice as the BM or the MKIII, but not bad at all. Very easy to strip.

Overall a great pistol for the money, with the only possible downside being the somewhat large size of the grip.
Caladan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 13:42   #9
Havasu

All those positive posts worked. Just closed a deal on Gun Broker. Thanks again!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 18:21   #10
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
All those positive posts worked. Just closed a deal on Gun Broker. Thanks again!!!

Enjoy, Havasu -- I hope you have as good experience with yours as those on this thread have had!

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 15:57   #11
Retired Squid

Congrat's you bought a very accurate and reliable pistol, the early 22S & A's did have problems but they worked it out. They are about best bang for your dollar, and sometimes called called a poor mans Model 41 they are so accurate and reliable. Their down side is a bad trigger for target use unless you are not competing and can take your time.