Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2010, 13:16   #1
WEATHERBY460

What .22 rimfire handgun for competition?

I am looking for a gun like the ruger competition to shoot for accuracy. What are my options, thanks! or is that the gun to get.
WEATHERBY460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 14:06   #2
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

The Ruger SS slab side is a great shooter and quite accurate-BUTT,it's close in price to a S&W 41 and A 41 IS THE .22 to have

research the 41

The best groups I've seen and shot were with a 41
Steel Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 14:08   #3
vafish

What type of competition?

You can start out with the Ruger, It should last you a long time before you start out shooting it. Next step up would be a Walther SP22M4 or a S+W 41, then you get up into the silly high price range of the European target pistols.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 14:13   #4
Toml

In the second hand market you could look at the older Hi-Standards and Colt Woodsman.

Euro accuracy without the $$$ would be the now-discontinued Sig-Hammerli Trailside.
Old 02-04-2010, 17:43   #5
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
What type of competition?

You can start out with the Ruger, It should last you a long time before you start out shooting it. Next step up would be a Walther SP22M4 or a S+W 41, then you get up into the silly high price range of the European target pistols.
CDNN Investments has the SP22 Match pistol for less than 400.00 a month or so ago. I debated buying one, but went with Ruger instead. That was only because of the aftermarket accurizing items you can buy for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toml View Post
In the second hand market you could look at the older Hi-Standards and Colt Woodsman.

Euro accuracy without the $$$ would be the now-discontinued Sig-Hammerli Trailside.
I have never found a better .22 pistol than an original Hamden High Standard 106/7 Supermatic Citation. If you could find one, buy it.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 17:49   #6
droberts
John 3:16

My son has a Bad A** Puma! Amazingly accurate ! Ive also got a new unfired fully custom 10/22for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Rimfire Forum - Click for larger version  

Last edited by droberts; 02-04-2010 at 17:54..
droberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 20:18   #7
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

A Browning Buckmark is an excellent pistol out of the box, and with the "Heggis Flip" done on the trigger, is a real winner with little mod and relatively small initial investment.

My standard Buckmark with the Heggis Flip is an absolute balls-on "I" dotter.

I have a shooting partner with a 900 dollar modded out Mk3 Ruger and I still out-shoot him with my buckmark, and after some sheet-talking, we traded guns at a plinking session. He out-shot me with the (MY) Buckmark, and there I stood, with his nearly $1000 pistol in my hand, beat.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Ruger MkIII and love it, but my Buckmark is literally unbeatable in the hands of WHOEVER picks it up.

Just saying, and maybe I got lucky.
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:25   #8
TonyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460 View Post
I am looking for a gun like the ruger competition to shoot for accuracy. What are my options, thanks! or is that the gun to get.
If you want to be a serious competitor I would advise to start with a S&W Model 41. The S&W 41 is very accurate, has a great trigger right out of the box and is easilly broken down for cleaning.
I shot a S&W 41 for several years and then went to a Walther GSP and finally a Pardini SP. The Walther GSP is superb and very modular in design but I finally opted for the lighter Pardini SP.
TonyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:22   #9
deadite
Groovy.

Rimfire Forum

I'd go with the S&W 41. Great gun!

Here is my line-up:
Rimfire Forum

deadite

Last edited by deadite; 02-05-2010 at 11:26..
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:58   #10
g34fan

I would go with the S&W Mod41, hands down! I own a fair number of handguns and by far my favorite is my Model 41. Out of the box, the trigger on this gun is better than other guns that have had "trigger jobs" done on them. Well balanced, great grips, great sights. As mentioned by someone else, also one of the easiest guns ever to take apart and service. Works best with CCI SV ammo.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:12   #11
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g34fan View Post
I would go with the S&W Mod41, hands down! Works best with CCI SV ammo.
+1

deadite
Old 02-08-2010, 12:09   #12
SD Handgunner

There are lots of great .22 LR Target Handguns out there that can be used for Competition. I think the best advise I can offer is to handle (and shoot if possible) as many different .22 LR Target Handguns as is possible and BUY the one that feels the best in YOUR Hands.

Back in 1990 we formed a Club and transformed an old building into an Indoor Shooting Range. In an effort to get shooters shooting we literally grabbed everyone off the street we could find. In the years since our club started I have seen trends in what people are shooting.

The first year or so a lot of shooters went out and bought Ruger MKII's. Some didn't like how they stripped for cleaning and some thought they were to heavy when an optical sight was added. A few years later a lot of shooters went out and traded off their Rugers for Browning Buckmarks. Well for one reason or another those same shooters have since traded their Browning Buckmarks back for Rugers, including the 22/45 versions.

Through the years there have been guys shooting High Standards, S&W Model 41's etc. but the majority of our shooters are back to shooting Rugers. I have a buddy that has a S&W Model 41 with 3 Barrels, 7" Standard, 5 1/2" Bull and 5" Field Barrels. To this day he is shooting his old Ruger MKII, he says it fits his hand better (he has tried several different grips on the S&W Model 41) and it is more accurate.

For me I hate the shape of the S&W Model 41 Trigger & Trigger Guard. No matter what grips I have put on my S&W Model 41 my trigger finger drags on the trigger guard. I have had 2 different S&W Model 41's with 4 different barrels and none of them shot as accurately as the Ruger MKII's I have had.

To be good at Bullseye Shooting the very first thing that needs to happen is the gun has to fit your hand. Sometimes this can be corrected with different grips but the grip angle and such is still the deciding factor.

Good luck with your quest.

Larry
SD Handgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 20:37   #13
KCTanfoglio

I was about to ask the same question. Man, those 41s are about a grand. How about the Ruger Mark III with a 6" bbl? Are they any good?

How about ammo? Any more accurate than others?

Last edited by KCTanfoglio; 02-11-2010 at 21:05..
KCTanfoglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 20:59   #14
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTanfoglio View Post
I was about to ask the same question. Man, those 41s are about a grand. How about the Ruger Mark III with a 6' bbl? Are they any good?

How about ammo? Any more accurate than others?
You can get a S&W model 41 used for around $700.00. That's still alot, but they're worth it.

If you're looking at Ruger Marks, go with a used Mark II. Trust me, you'll be happier. If you don't mind all of the useless extras on the Mark III, they're not bad either.

CCI rimfire ammo is pretty much the way to go. I use CCI Mini-Mags in my Ruger Mark II and CCI Standard Velocity in my 41. My Browning Challenger feeds pretty much anything.

deadite
Old 02-11-2010, 21:10   #15
KCTanfoglio

Thanks, dead. Is this what you're talking about...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=156683105

Last edited by KCTanfoglio; 02-11-2010 at 21:37..
Old 02-11-2010, 21:17   #16
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Thanks, dead. Is this what you're talking about...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=156683105
Yes, those are nice. My dad has a bull barreled Mark II exactly like it that I tricked out for him with Volquartsen parts and a red-dot. Shoots like a laser with CCI Mini-Mags.

Btw, those plastic Ramline mags in the pics are total crap and should be avoided at all costs.

deadite

Last edited by deadite; 02-11-2010 at 21:20..
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 21:43   #17
KCTanfoglio

My last dumb question will be -

Does barrel length on a target pistol get to a point of diminishing returns??
Old 02-12-2010, 06:16   #18
mboylan

If you're serious, you're going to get a S&W 41 anyway. So why waste money on a cheaper gun first?
mboylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:36   #19
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
My last dumb question will be -

Does barrel length on a target pistol get to a point of diminishing returns??
In my experience, it doesn't make much difference. Most of the guns I had were in the 4-7" barrel range and if I adjusted the sights properly and did my part to fire the gun, they were all about the same. The Challenger and 41 do it a little better and with class, but unless you're going to compete professionally, I doubt that you'd ever see the difference in accuracy. Alot of accuracy is the ammo that you choose.

I have or have had 3 Ruger Marks (2 II's and 1 III), a S&W 41, Browning Challenger, Star model FR-Sport, and a convertable single action rimfire. They all had the ability to be very accurate for a handgun with the exception of the convertable revolver and that's because the convertables (i.e. 22LR and 22Mag cylinders) are barreled for the 22 Mag, also, that's a little bigger in diameter than the 22LR. It's still accurate, but not as accurate as a dedicated 22LR.

deadite
Old 02-12-2010, 07:39   #20
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboylan View Post
If you're serious, you're going to get a S&W 41 anyway. So why waste money on a cheaper gun first?
Originally, when I first got into rimfires, I would have liked a Model 41, but I couldn't afford one. I ended up with a cheaper convertable single action. It wasn't accurate at all and I quickly lost interest in them. I had no idea how fun it was to have an accurate rimfire until I got a Ruger Mark III. Then, I was hooked.

It was a process getting to rimfire nirvana. You're right, if you're really serious, you'll start out with a 41, but where's the fun in that?

deadite.