GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 13:30   #1
Teej
Senior Member
 
Teej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,945
SHTF- AK or AR??

I am guessing that many of you have both an AK and AR or are familiar personally with them both weapons.

With what you know from your OWN personal knowledge, in a SHTF situation what would you prefer to grab an AK or AR? Would you explain your reasoning please.
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 14:13   #2
Glocker08
Senior Member
 
Glocker08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
I am guessing that many of you have both an AK and AR or are familiar personally with them both weapons.

With what you know from your OWN personal knowledge, in a SHTF situation what would you prefer to grab an AK or AR? Would you explain your reasoning please.
either/or, both.

The AR is generally considered more accurate,(although my Saiga AK is pretty darn accurate) while the AK is considered to be the more reliable rifle because it has looser tolerances.The AK also generally has higher capacity mags,so that means fewer mag changes.

I have both and like both, but I have more experience with the AK,although limited. If I could choose only one, it would be the AK,simply because I'm more accustomed to that platform.

Last edited by Glocker08; 02-04-2010 at 14:36..
Glocker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 15:32   #3
1985 4Runner
Agitator
 
1985 4Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gulf Coast MS
Posts: 3,346
My AK.

It makes cover into concealment.
__________________
Firefighter, EMT-B, U.S. Marine '92-'96


Obama will prove to be the worst mistake the American people ever made.
1985 4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 15:51   #4
my762buzz
Senior Member
 
my762buzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,673
An AK.


I had my shtf moment with a wild boar.
One day I was shooting at a range near a marsh system in florida and a large wild boar pops out of the bush and charges at me. By the time I saw it coming, it was too close and I started running. It was a few feet behind me and I headed for the nearby pond figuring it would not want to follow me into the water. I dashed into the water clutching my AR and with my glock 17 in its holster. The second I stepped into the water my foot sank into some slimy muck I slipped and I fell forward. Me and my AR slammed into the nasty muck soil just passing a few inches of pond water. The boar did not chase any further but basically would not let me leave the water. What else was I to do? I lifted my AR covered in muck tried to rack a fresh fmj into the chamber and behold the carrier stopped before it made it into battery. I then tried to flush the rifle with the pond water but to no avail. My only chance of getting the hell out of the pond was now my 9mm glock. I grabbed my glock which did have some pond muck along the outside aimed at the boar's neck and fired 5 times. I hit something vital enough that it stumbled away slowly and later died. I have been a huge believer in Glock guns ever since. I sold all my ARs and started to research other rifles extensively. I bought my first AK not long after that. I went back to that pond and dropped my AK into that nasty muck. I picked it up allowed the barrel to drain and proceded to fire off the whole magazine. I been a fan ever since.
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 16:03   #5
CarlosC
I love guns!
 
CarlosC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: TX
Posts: 4,186
The easy answer is the AK, but I guess it would really depend. If I am just holding out in my home, then definitely the AK and I'd probably have my Hungarian Fire Dragon (AMD-65) with me 24-7. It is extremely small and you don't necessarily have to hit the person you're shooting at because the muzzle blast alone will blind and momentarily incapacitate them. If I need commonality with the police, then it would have to be an AR. Some cops may not perceive you as the good guy either if they see you toting around an AK. Perception. If dirt is a problem or a lack of cleaning supplies, then the AK is the winner.

If I'd just want pure firepower, then it would have to be my G-3. It combines the accuracy of my AR with a .30 punch way stronger than the AK's .30 round.
__________________
Pittsburgh Steelers fan till the day I die, and then some.
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 16:10   #6
Nicoroshi
Avid Shooter
 
Nicoroshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The liberal playground
Posts: 1,343
AK without question, and my G21 SF.
Reasons? (BTW these reasons also apply to the G21 SF)
Always goes 'BANG'.
Built like a tank.
Simple construction so easy to repair/ maintain
Accurate enough for it's purpose (won't be plucking eyes out but will do 'minute of man' no problem).
Harder hitting round (ever see what a 7.62x39 hollow point does to an orange at 50 yards? Let's just say the air has a nice orange scent to it when it hits).
Lightweight. My lightest AR weighs in at over 9 lbs. My lightest AK at 7.5lbs.
Clear winner IMHO is the AK.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalK View Post
The AR is like a prom queen.
The AK is like a biker chick.
Treat each accordingly.
21 Club #150 California Glockers #150 Kalashnikov Klub #150 Black Rifle Club #377
Nicoroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 16:57   #7
Glocker08
Senior Member
 
Glocker08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by my762buzz View Post
An AK.


I had my shtf moment with a wild boar.
One day I was shooting at a range near a marsh system in florida and a large wild boar pops out of the bush and charges at me. By the time I saw it coming, it was too close and I started running. It was a few feet behind me and I headed for the nearby pond figuring it would not want to follow me into the water. I dashed into the water clutching my AR and with my glock 17 in its holster. The second I stepped into the water my foot sank into some slimy muck I slipped and I fell forward. Me and my AR slammed into the nasty muck soil just passing a few inches of pond water. The boar did not chase any further but basically would not let me leave the water. What else was I to do? I lifted my AR covered in muck tried to rack a fresh fmj into the chamber and behold the carrier stopped before it made it into battery. I then tried to flush the rifle with the pond water but to no avail. My only chance of getting the hell out of the pond was now my 9mm glock. I grabbed my glock which did have some pond muck along the outside aimed at the boar's neck and fired 5 times. I hit something vital enough that it stumbled away slowly and later died. I have been a huge believer in Glock guns ever since. I sold all my ARs and started to research other rifles extensively. I bought my first AK not long after that. I went back to that pond and dropped my AK into that nasty muck. I picked it up allowed the barrel to drain and proceded to fire off the whole magazine. I been a fan ever since.
A nearly identical situation happened to me. I wiped out one day going down an embankment in the woods after it had just rained. I ended dropping my AR in some thick swamp mud at the bottom of a ravine.There was no round in the chamber, which is usually the case if I'm just going in the woods. After spouting off several expletives and checking the barrel for obstructions, I cleaned it off as best I could. I then went to do a function test. 1st round, jammed up. Cleared it. 2nd round,bang. The following 3rd,4th, and 5th rounds all jammed up.

At a later date, I also took my Yugo AK, which I no longer have (traded it for a shotgun that I needed at the time ,like an idiot ) and purposely dropped it in the same swamp mud. It went through a 30 rd. mag without missing a beat.

I will say after I gave my AR a good cleaning, it ran like a top. It's a great shooter, very accurate. I've thought about selling it just to eliminate the need to buy ammo for yet another caliber.

My first carbine was an AK, and so I'm more familiar with that platform and I prefer it, but I like AR's too.
Glocker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 18:10   #8
my762buzz
Senior Member
 
my762buzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post
Some cops may not perceive you as the good guy either if they see you toting around an AK. Perception.
I will make sure to have her hold it while the popo is nearby.
They won't even see the gun. Babe-o-flage

The Kalashnikov Klub

Last edited by my762buzz; 02-04-2010 at 18:32..
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 00:24   #9
9mm +p+
Senior Member
 
9mm +p+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KS
Posts: 2,419
Good stories guys, I'm AK all the way but for a different reason although the bulletproof reliability is a huge factor as well. I'm not a 556 fan at all, I've seen it fail on critters as small as groundhogs. 15-20Lbs, now would I trust that same load on a POed 220lb guy hell bent on killing me?? Nope, the 7.62x39 IMO is the best combat round going, sure it has range issues and the cheaper ammo lacks accuracy but like someone already mentioned it'll turn cover into concealment, it's inexpensive enough for me to stock up and it does it's job well on 2 legged as well as 4 legged threats. My primary go to rifle is an Arsenal SLR-107F that I just finished up. It now has an UltiMak gas tube rail, Aimpoint T-1 and a VLTOR offset scout mount with a SF G2 LED, it's a sweet great shooting portable pkg and would be my first choice for a post shtf rifle.
__________________
Si vis pacem parabellum
9mm +p+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:40   #10
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net
 
RMTactical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Behind an AR-15
Posts: 29,789


Both are capable. I prefer the AR15, but I would feel good that I would be able to get the job done with an AK too.
__________________
http://www.rockymountaintactical.net/

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:09   #11
CarlosC
I love guns!
 
CarlosC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: TX
Posts: 4,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by my762buzz View Post
I will make sure to have her hold it while the popo is nearby.
They won't even see the gun. Babe-o-flage

The Kalashnikov Klub
Smokin!

I bet you could have a kilo of crack in one hand and an AK in the other and the popo wouldn't even notice you if she were around.
__________________
Pittsburgh Steelers fan till the day I die, and then some.
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:25   #12
JBJ16
Senior Member
 
JBJ16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YOUR BLINDSIDE
Posts: 740
for SHTF . . . s**t happens

take note , both rifles in firing condition, chambered, both off-safe, both ejection ports open
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms
__________________
"No problem on earth can't be solved by the judicious application of high explosives" - from Valkyrie
JBJ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:50   #13
Teej
Senior Member
 
Teej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJ16 View Post
take note , both rifles in firing condition, chambered, both off-safe, both ejection ports open
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms
Have him do it again with muddy swamp water, submerge the AR in the mud, then pull it out and fire. If he does and can do that, then I will be impressed.
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:40   #14
JBJ16
Senior Member
 
JBJ16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YOUR BLINDSIDE
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Have him do it again with muddy swamp water, submerge the AR in the mud, then pull it out and fire. If he does and can do that, then I will be impressed.
Without draining the AR receiver sufficiently, upon firing, the AR receiver will detonate courtesy of the DI system, and the presence of water.

However, it was a surprise that the AK failed in that vid while the "unreliable" AR kept on firing.
Just shows that a given a unique circumstance one system will fail, while another will remain impervious no mater past history/reputation of that particular system and vice-versa.
__________________
"No problem on earth can't be solved by the judicious application of high explosives" - from Valkyrie

Last edited by JBJ16; 02-05-2010 at 11:42..
JBJ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:50   #15
CarlosC
I love guns!
 
CarlosC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: TX
Posts: 4,186
Not so much of a surprise because the guy who was testing the AR ensured he released the bolt before "burying" it.
__________________
Pittsburgh Steelers fan till the day I die, and then some.
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:51   #16
HighwayStarPP
bang bang bang
 
HighwayStarPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 255
AK hands down.
__________________
NRA-GSSF
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
HighwayStarPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:11   #17
JBJ16
Senior Member
 
JBJ16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YOUR BLINDSIDE
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post
Not so much of a surprise because the guy who was testing the AR ensured he released the bolt before "burying" it.
Both rifles bolts are released and round chambered ready to fire, open dust cover on AR and safety of on AK
__________________
"No problem on earth can't be solved by the judicious application of high explosives" - from Valkyrie
JBJ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:27   #18
CarlosC
I love guns!
 
CarlosC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: TX
Posts: 4,186
It's not the same thing though because they are designed differently. Opening the dust cover on the AR exposes nothing but the side the bolt. The bolt still forms a pretty good seal against the receiver. The AK's safety also acts as its side dust cover, so by flicking off the safety, you expose a large opening to the inner workings.
__________________
Pittsburgh Steelers fan till the day I die, and then some.
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:32   #19
98_1LE
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,313
That youtube was interesting.

I have owned both rifles, and still own a couple AK's.
98_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:40   #20
CarlosC
I love guns!
 
CarlosC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: TX
Posts: 4,186
It was interesting, but it is an isolated test. If you look around YouTube you can find videos of ARs failing as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbe4m...eature=related
__________________
Pittsburgh Steelers fan till the day I die, and then some.
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:58   #21
Joshhtn
Rastaman!
 
Joshhtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 6,127


Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post
It was interesting, but it is an isolated test. If you look around YouTube you can find videos of ARs failing as well.

+1000... That AK vs AR video is a horrible comparison and a horrible video all around!

AK ALL DAY!
__________________
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
***CHECK OUT MY EBAY STORE FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED-***
HEINRICH TREASURES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude, you are ****ing banned.
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 13:11   #22
CarlosC
I love guns!
 
CarlosC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: TX
Posts: 4,186
Years ago, the Alaska State Highway Patrol did extensive testing of several weapons and found the Valmet derivative of the AK was the only one that passed easily. Who failed? M-16, FAL, HK-91, M1A.
__________________
Pittsburgh Steelers fan till the day I die, and then some.
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 14:33   #23
my762buzz
Senior Member
 
my762buzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJ16 View Post
take note , both rifles in firing condition, chambered, both off-safe, both ejection ports open
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms


The mechanical problem in that test is a massive amount of sand and rocks get wedged under the trigger clearance areas and/or the bolt firing pin hole. I would bet that if it takes 3 ounces of sand and rocks to cause this in an AK an AR would seize up with 0.3 ounces of the same material bouncing around inside. I guess if I were to make a video doing the same exact test but with a slight change it would tip the results the other way. Improvised.

The Kalashnikov Klub
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 14:34   #24
JBJ16
Senior Member
 
JBJ16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YOUR BLINDSIDE
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post
It's not the same thing though because they are designed differently. Opening the dust cover on the AR exposes nothing but the side the bolt. The bolt still forms a pretty good seal against the receiver. The AK's safety also acts as its side dust cover, so by flicking off the safety, you expose a large opening to the inner workings.
You just described what could well be the "Achilles Heel" of the AK system which could and no doubt may have had already happened in combat.
__________________
"No problem on earth can't be solved by the judicious application of high explosives" - from Valkyrie
JBJ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 14:38   #25
JBJ16
Senior Member
 
JBJ16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YOUR BLINDSIDE
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by my762buzz View Post
The mechanical problem in that test is a massive amount of sand and rocks get wedged under the trigger clearance areas and/or the bolt firing pin hole. I would bet that if it takes 3 ounces of sand and rocks to cause this in an AK an AR would seize up with 0.3 ounces of the same material bouncing around inside. I guess if I were to make a video doing the same exact test but with a slight change it would tip the results the other way. Improvised.

The Kalashnikov Klub
????????? That test with the duct tape would be hilarious What would be the point then? We might as well wrap both rifles in plastic and bury both in sand.
__________________
"No problem on earth can't be solved by the judicious application of high explosives" - from Valkyrie
JBJ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:16.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,087
355 Members
732 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42