Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:52   #1
BoxerDog25

Ghost Ring Help.

I would like to put ghost ring sights on my 870 and I am having a hard time figuring out the good and the bad. I know that some people here do not care for ghost rings, but I would like your thoughts on ghost rings as well. Also please suggest other brands that I have not listed if you like them. Any opinions are welcome.

here are some ghost rings that I have been looking at .

There isnt much information regarding the meprolight ghost rings , I dont know much about them.

Mepros

http://www.officerstore.com/store/pr...host_ring_set/

Trijicons , I like these but the front sight seems really small in size.

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...9&categoryID=7

Wilson Combat, I think these are the same as the trijions.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_traklock.asp

XS sights

http://www.xssights.com/store/shotgun.html
Old 01-02-2010, 23:42   #2
L-2

deleted

Last edited by L-2; 03-27-2011 at 15:30..
L-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 23:42   #3
aippi

Ghost Rings are simply peep sights. they have no place on a fighting shotgun as you have to have a lot of trigger time to learn to shoot them with both eyes open and aquire the target fast. A shotgun is a close quarters weapon and to put a peep sight on it is not the best option.

A bead sight is all that is needed for a fighting shotgun. Period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:11   #4
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Peep sights have a small aperature. Ghost rings have a large one. Not EVERY ONE needs tons of time learning to use them. I spent most of my life shooting military and military surplus rifles with aperature sights. Ghost rings were a natural transition to me, and required almost no training.

Going from running an M16 to running a shotgun with the same sighting system made sense. I shot a lot of slugs, and for that, GR's are the way to go. At closer distances, the GR was no slower (to me) than a bead.

LPA makes the ones on Benellis and they're good. XS is also excellent, and their Express sights are almost as accurate with slugs as a GR, but very, very fast (Express sights being made specifically for up close dangerous stuff).

Trijicon, MMC and a few others make good ones as well. If your primary mission is close in work with buckshot, a bead is fine. If you anticipate probable regular use of slugs AND buck.........get GR's or something similar.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:15   #5
Minnow

Ghost rings are every bit as fast as a bead for me and damn sure more accurate at intermediate and long range. I don't think I would want a tritium rear sight, but the front would be a nice feature. Whatever brand you go with make sure the rear ghost ring mounts on the receiver and not out where the rifle rear sight set on the barrel.

Last edited by Minnow; 01-03-2010 at 01:23..
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 16:05   #6
Whazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Ghost Rings are simply peep sights. they have no place on a fighting shotgun as you have to have a lot of trigger time to learn to shoot them with both eyes open and aquire the target fast. A shotgun is a close quarters weapon and to put a peep sight on it is not the best option.

Not sure I am with you on this one - I have both and I don't consider these two sighting systems to particularly relevant to speed. The advantage of the bead is symplicity - one point of reference. The advantage of the ghost is that slug shooting now becomes much more accurate, and extends the 20 meter gun to a 75-100 meter gun. In CQB, with multiple targets, a chin weld might be used with both designs. But you may have a point, many people don't train, for them - as Thomas Hobbes said: simplicity equates to survival ... I don't understand WHY one would not have a lot of trigger time, but I suppose there are life circumstances that interfere with training...
Whazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 17:53   #7
Mark A

I let a friend talk me into installing ghost ring sights on my latest 870. I'm really glad I did. I've been shooting 870's for about 35 years and this was the first time I didn't use a bead. It took me about 3-4 rounds of birdshot to get used to it. After that I patterned 00 buck and then moved to slugs. I really like the sight a lot

Mark
Mark A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 20:58   #8
aippi

Same responses every time the question comes up. The people posting the greatness of Ghost Rings are mostly exprienced shooters and have mastered them with both eyes open. They also have learned not to allow them to shut down their peripheral vision when you first swing up from the low ready as the rear sight is at the back of the receiver and comes up right in your eye.

Other are lying and shoot with one eys closed and are target shooters and will never need their peripheral vision as multiple paper targets are not a threat to your life..

For the rest of us that are not master shooters, we need a weapon that we can deploy at close quarters and eliminate the threat against our life. And that is a bead sight. The are shotguns and their range is limited.

Mr Murphy, I am amazed you attemped to school me on peep sights. The Armorers manual list them like this. "Peep sight, aperture Large ( Ghost Ring)". That is exactly how they are listed, so they are peep sights no matter what you call them. If you disagree with that verbage I will bring that up in April when I return to the factory and tell them you said they are wrong. Maybe they will change the descriptiong for these sights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 01-04-2010, 21:28   #9
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

People generally referring to "peep" sights tend to be referring to very small target aperatures.

Not larger, more open ghost-ring styles. It may be a peep sight but not all peeps are equal.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 14:19   #10
MAX100

Ghost ring sights on a shotgun are very fast on target and anyone can easily learn how to use them.. They are more versatile than a bead sight.

You can buy a Hawk 982 with GRS for what it would cost you to put a set on your 870.

GC

MAX100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 16:06   #11
walkin' trails

I had Scattergun Tech do mine. I was first introduced to ghost rings when the Border Patrol upgraded all their 870s to the ST "Border Patrol" model. I just can't shoot slugs consistently without a rear sight. Ghost rings are great.
Firearms Instructor
walkin' trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 13:08   #12
David Armstrong

IME, the ghost ring sight on the shotgun is a wonderful solution to a non-existent problem. The bead does everything you need to do for a fighting shotgun. The problem with it is that most folks never learn how to use it at any real distance. A bead-sight shotgun can and will regularly hit a man-size torso at 100 yards with a slug.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 14:31   #13
MAX100

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
IME, the ghost ring sight on the shotgun is a wonderful solution to a non-existent problem. The bead does everything you need to do for a fighting shotgun. The problem with it is that most folks never learn how to use it at any real distance. A bead-sight shotgun can and will regularly hit a man-size torso at 100 yards with a slug.
With practice I can hit a man size target with a slingshot @ 100. A shotgun with GRS will do it faster, more consistently and accurately than a bead sight.

GC

MAX100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 20:32   #14
walkin' trails

I've got a lot more years of lining up ghost ring sights than I have with shotgun beads. Having something similar to the sights on my AR works better for me. I've known some absolute wizzards with shotguns who prefer a bead to any other sighting system. There's nothing wrong with that. Those guys, though, have spent a lot of time getting to their master levels with scatterguns. I respect them for that. I don't have that kind of time. I'm a lot more confident when I have a front and rear sight. That's what I'm used to.
Firearms Instructor
walkin' trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 21:35   #15
nickoglock1

Quote:
ghost rings are simply peep sights. They have no place on a fighting shotgun as you have to have a lot of trigger time to learn to shoot them with both eyes open and aquire the target fast. A shotgun is a close quarters weapon and to put a peep sight on it is not the best option.

+1 ,
nickoglock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 00:23   #16
BoxerDog25

Can I get some input on Ghost Ring brands please?
Old 01-10-2010, 00:47   #17
Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerDog25 View Post
Can I get some input on Ghost Ring brands please?
I have factory Mossberg GRS on my 590A1 - they don't glow in the dark but the blaze orange on the front post is easy enough to see even in low light.
Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:43   #18
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
With practice I can hit a man size target with a slingshot @ 100. A shotgun with GRS will do it faster, more consistently and accurately than a bead sight.
GC
Well, having seen a lot of students come through the ol' shotgun class, I'd just have to disagree with you regarding any significant differences as it relates to using the shotgun in a fighting mode. Even if one grants the claim, however, it amounts to giving up effectiveness for common use in exchange for slight improvement at uncommon uses.

Quote:
from walklin' trails:
I've got a lot more years of lining up ghost ring sights than I have with shotgun beads. Having something similar to the sights on my AR works better for me.
There is a lot to be said for that. Already being familiar with and used to one sighting system can be advantageous.

Last edited by David Armstrong; 01-11-2010 at 10:46..
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:22   #19
aippi

Dr. J frame posted a video on this site from Clint Smith about Defense shotguns. You guys should give it a watch. Same stuff I was taught 40 years ago and has not changed. Hey, but what do guys like us know, we are just old.

As for GR's. The Trijicon GR's are made by Scatergun Tech/Wilson and sent to Trijicon for instalation of the Tritium. So the are Wilson GR sights. Also, the Trijicons will cost you less then the Wilson Track Loc's even though they are the same sights in a different package.

I only install these on my custom builds (when I can't talk a guy out of GR's) so I don't know about others.

That is all I know about Ghost Rings except they can get you killed in a gun fight.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 01-11-2010, 14:27   #20
BleedNOrange
Go Vols

Quote:

I gotta disagree too. Our Dept doesn't issue Patrol rifles so our shotgun serves a dual purpose. Engaging targets out to 75-100 yards is pretty simple with ghost ring sights. With a bead...not so much. With practice the ghost ring is just as fast in target aquisition also.