Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:24   #1
clint_white

ok.........

ok throwing this out there, what is considered "HOME DEFENSE" shotgun...im a proud owner of a G17 (early 90's model) and a G23 (daily ccw).....im looking into a scattergun for giggles.....just wanting a few open minded opinions.....thanks in advance......
Old 02-08-2010, 08:54   #2
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint_white View Post
ok throwing this out there, what is considered "HOME DEFENSE" shotgun...im a proud owner of a G17 (early 90's model) and a G23 (daily ccw).....im looking into a scattergun for giggles.....just wanting a few open minded opinions.....thanks in advance......
To me a 12 gauge pump 18-20" long barrel that will hold at least 4 +1. I like 870s, 500s, and 590s with a stock you can put in your shoulder. It is a very generic term and others will have lots of other opinions. I don't add anything to it. Works fine out of the box maybe add a sleeve to the stock for a few extra shells.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:09   #3
vafish

A "Home Defense" shotgun is any shotgun you choose to use to defend your home with.

It can be anything from a single shot to a Striker or Siaga.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:49   #4
Minnow
JUST ADD SWAG

The one that is loaded ready in a undisclosed location which anyone in the household can pickup and use effectively. For me growing up from about age 8 it was a singleshot 20ga and today it is a 590A1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:59   #5
mixflip

There is no rule that says a HD shotgun has to be styled after the military or police or even be tactical. Like Minnow said above, it just has to be loaded and ready for work.

It could be your hunting shotgun. Would there be some disadvantages? Sure but it will still blow a huge hole in a bad guy if needed since most home defense situations involve falling back to a secure room, lock the door and pointing the shotgun (or any gun) at the fatal funnel until there is a target to shoot at.

Quietly clearing your house like a SWAT team member sounds fun but in most cases isnt realistic especially if its your wife whos home alone doing the defending while you are working swings or graves or just not there to be Joe SWAT.

If shopping for a dedicated HD shotgun, then like previously mention above, keep it short i.e. 18.5 to 20 inches usually. Extended mag tubes are useful but by no means a must. I'd stick with a traditional stock (no pistol grips unless it has a stock on it too). If you have the cash, a simple white light and a way to carry a few extra rounds and that is it. Why? So you can have a complete package (shotgun,ammo and light) all in one grab late at night. You wont forget to grab these things if its already on your gun.

It could look like this if you are serious into shotguns
Tactical Shotguns

Or look like this if you are on a budget?
Tactical Shotguns
(This last one was a joke btw...not my pic but I thought it was hilarious the first time I saw it)

Last edited by mixflip; 02-08-2010 at 11:08..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:44   #6
Nutt51

I kept a Stoger 18in. double 12ga. by the bed for a long time.
I now have a Rem.870P that is my HD gun of choice.
I also own a Rem 870 Express Turkey gun that I was going to
buy an extra HD barrel for and use, until I bought the 870P.

There are so many shotgun choices, but there are
more aftermarket parts for the Rem 870 and Mossberg
to customize with out there.

Go to J.D. homepage at www.aiptactical.com and read some of his
info. about shotguns and their applications.

I like a 12ga. pump with at least 5 rounds capacity.
Just about any barrel length will do, but I like the handiness and feel
of a 18" or 20" for HD. Bead sight is fine.
Nutt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:55   #7
das9mm26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
There is no rule that says a HD shotgun has to be styled after the military or police or even be tactical. Like Minnow said above, it just has to be loaded and ready for work.

It could be your hunting shotgun. Would there be some disadvantages? Sure but it will still blow a huge hole in a bad guy if needed since most home defense situations involve falling back to a secure room, lock the door and pointing the shotgun (or any gun) at the fatal funnel until there is a target to shoot at.

Quietly clearing your house like a SWAT team member sounds fun but in most cases isnt realistic especially if its your wife whos home alone doing the defending while you are working swings or graves or just not there to be Joe SWAT.

If shopping for a dedicated HD shotgun, then like previously mention above, keep it short i.e. 18.5 to 20 inches usually. Extended mag tubes are useful but by no means a must. I'd stick with a traditional stock (no pistol grips unless it has a stock on it too). If you have the cash, a simple white light and a way to carry a few extra rounds and that is it. Why? So you can have a complete package (shotgun,ammo and light) all in one grab late at night. You wont forget to grab these things if its already on your gun.

It could look like this if you are serious into shotguns
Tactical Shotguns

Or look like this if you are on a budget?
Tactical Shotguns
(This last one was a joke btw...not my pic but I thought it was hilarious the first time I saw it)
Man....Gotta LOVE that duct tape......."Holds shells SECURELY to action...Reloads take LESS THAN 5 MINUTES!!!"
das9mm26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 14:35   #8
SiNNiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint_white View Post
I shopped around for a 12 ga. pump a couple years ago and found that the 870's and 500's out there haven't changed in the last 3,000 years. Which is fine, I just found myself wanting more, so I kept looking.

Ran across the Benelli SuperNova Tactical and immediately I knew that was it. It looked like something this guy would carry around.

Then read about it. Innovative and built like a tank. Eats anything from 2.75" to 3.5" shells, impervious to weather conditions, just a dead nuts gun.

I like innovation and I don't like hanging a bunch of crap on my guns, so Benelli was a natural fit for me.

I did put a Nordic Components +3 magazine extension which gives me 7+1 and have plans on sending the barrel to King Armory to have them install their KA-1212 and even things out with the magazine.

Only other option being considered is mounting a small light. That's my "open-minded" opinion.

Good luck with your search.
SiNNiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:59   #9
clint_white

thanks to all....the 870 im leaning towards after talking with a buddy of mine who is a bountyhunter.....500 ive heard has some duribilty issues but thats all hear say..im a handgun, assualt rifle guy anyway just want a shotgun for giggles and of course hd and plinking as the shells are cheaper and readily availble at midnight from the local wal-mart...lol (insert sacarstic words here) anyway once again thanks and i have used duct tape to mount a pen light to my pellet rifle when i was young haha