Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:18   #1
E-Money

New Benchmade not very sharp

I just bought a brand new Benchmade 154CM Mel Pardue, and it doesn't seem to be very sharp at all. This is my first quality knife, and I expected it to be more "razor sharp. Is this normal?

I asked the guy at the store about how to shapen it (before I noticed it wasn't all that sharp to begin with) and he said to just send it Benchmade and they'd sharpen it. Should I do this, or would it just come back the same way?
E-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:49   #2
Glock2008
Gun User

Out of 3, only one of my benchmades came sharp enough to shave with. Even that one I was able to make sharper with a 8000 grit DMT diafold. Best bet if you want razor sharp knives is to learn to sharpen them. Several good options are available if you can't do it free hand. I have the DMT diafolds with guides and I've gotten excellent results with it. Others prefer the Spyderco sharpmaker, or on of the Lansky systems. Anyway you go If you practice you'll be able to make it work for you.
Glock2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:50   #3
Glock2008
Gun User

Also which benchmade did ya get?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:29   #4
E-Money

Thanks for the help. It's a 154CM Mel Pardue.

I don't know much about knives or sharpeners, so I had to Google what you listed. Looks like it's going to cost about as much as the knife to get a good sharpener.
Old 02-08-2010, 14:44   #5
Richard Simmons
American Icon

Some of my Benchmades came sharper than others as did more than a few from other makers. You're going to have to learn to sharpen sooner or later. I would suggest getting a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/tri-anglesharpmaker.aspx
Old 02-08-2010, 23:47   #6
E-Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Money View Post
Thanks for the help. It's a 154CM Mel Pardue.

I don't know much about knives or sharpeners, so I had to Google what you listed. Looks like it's going to cost about as much as the knife to get a good sharpener.
Well I suppose my knowledge of knives is now quite apparent. I thought the 154CM was some sort of model number.

Anyway, the knife is a mini Griptilian with a tanto blade (model 557SBK).

Thanks for the help. Looks like I'm going to learn knife sharpening!!
Old 02-08-2010, 23:52   #7
dontshakepandas

Pick up a Spyderco Sharpmaker. I've tried a few other systems, and this is the easiest and fastest I've used yet.
dontshakepandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:05   #8
Glock2008
Gun User

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Money View Post
Well I suppose my knowledge of knives is now quite apparent. I thought the 154CM was some sort of model number.

Anyway, the knife is a mini Griptilian with a tanto blade (model 557SBK).

Thanks for the help. Looks like I'm going to learn knife sharpening!!

Godd luck. I might also reccomend getting a cheapy 5-7 dollar hardware or walmart folding knife and practicing on that first. That way you can see what works best for you without experimenting on a 65 dollar knife.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:20   #9
Unistat

My Mini-Grip (also 154 CM, Mel Pardue) was very sharp out of the box, but what really impressed me was how smooth the action was.

To me, qualities more important than sharpness are: fit in the hand, blade quality/steel, overall fit & finish, smooth operation (in a folder), & overall quality/durability.

You're going to have to learn how to sharpen it anyway, as no knife will keep an edge forever.

I actually do not like a "razor" edge on my everyday working knives. Edges that are too sharp are more likely to knick the blade . I prefer a "working" edge, sharp enough to slice nylon rope, like para-cord, but not really sharp enough to shave hair off my arm.

On my defensive kinves, I keep as sharp of an edge as I am able to produce.

Last edited by Unistat; 02-09-2010 at 17:19..
Unistat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 14:52   #10
E-Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock2008 View Post
Godd luck. I might also reccomend getting a cheapy 5-7 dollar hardware or walmart folding knife and practicing on that first. That way you can see what works best for you without experimenting on a 65 dollar knife.

I wish it was $65. I got a gift certificate for Christmas for a local gun shop. Everything there is overpriced, and it was either the knife or money down on a Gen4 G22. I decided I'd get the knife as my cheapo pocket one broke, and I didn't feel like shelling out the difference for the gun. So I walked out of there with the knife and $7 and change from my $125 gift card. Yep, it was $110 + tax. To be quite honest, I didn't know if it was a good price or not. But it fit my needs.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll get that spyderco or other sharpener and practice on some steak knives or something around the house before going after my "high dollar" pocket knife!
Old 02-09-2010, 17:02   #11
up1911fan

That's a terrible price! Check ebay or Amazon. As long as your happy with it i guess.
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 17:58   #12
jtull7
Pistolero

If you don't know how to sharpen it yourself, or don't care to, just get rid of it. Pesky knife.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 21:46   #13
E-Money

I know I got hosed on the price (at least after the fact), but as I said it was a gift certificate so I wasn't out any money. Since it was for an over priced gun shop, I would have been hosed whether I bought ammo, a gun, parts, etc. I think I made out pretty good considering.

As for sharpening, I'm actually excited to learn the techniques. I really like working with my hands and am extremely detail oriented. That last part is going to kill me as I can see myself now spending hours practicing and sharpening.

Thanks again for all your help! Maybe I've found myself another new hobby I can't afford......

Last edited by E-Money; 02-09-2010 at 23:01..