Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:45   #1
btmj

Have Glock triggers changed, or is it just me?

I have a G17 which I bought new in 1990. Prior to that, I frequently shot a wide variety of pistols and revolvers. But this G17 is the only handgun I have shot for the past dozen years of so, and I have not shot it much in the last couple of years. It is a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Smyrna</st1:City> <st1:country-region w:st="on">Georgia</st1:country-region></st1:place> built weapon. It has a S/N prefix of “MV” indicating it was made in 1990, an early Gen-II.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I recently bought a new G19, this one made in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Austria</st1:place></st1:country-region>. It has a S/N prefix of “NPH”, indicating it was made in 2009: a late Gen-III.
<o:p></o:p>
Internally, they are remarkably similar. The main spring of the G19 is captive on the guide rod (which confused me at first), but other than that, it all looks the same.
Odd thing about the trigger pull: The twenty year old G17 has a smoother trigger pull, particularly the take-up. The G19 is slightly “gritty” by comparison. It is not a big difference, but it is there. From the reset point to the break, both weapons feel pretty similar (although the G17 may have, perhaps, a slight advantage). But with a full trigger pull, it seems the G19 is just not as smooth. Depressing the trigger safety on the G17 is never noticeable at all, but on the G19 it is.
When I bought the G19, I handled and dry fired most of the new Glocks behind the case, including a G26, G22, and G23. All of them had a really similar trigger feel… I would have noticed if the trigger of my G19 was inferior to these others.
Is this just a matter of break-in ? I have shot about 1500+ rounds through the G17 over the years, and the G19 has only had about 100 rounds so far. Maybe the G19 will improve with more rounds? Maybe the G17 was not as smooth when it was new, and I just don’t remember what it was like 20 years ago.
Or is it just a matter of gun to gun variation? Maybe I happened to get a really good G17 back in 1990?
Thoughts ?
btmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 21:58   #2
JohnKSa

The most likely explanation is that the 1500 rounds of firing plus whatever dryfiring you've done has smoothed out your G17 trigger.
JohnKSa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:17   #3
Brucev

Shoot the 19. Follow a normal procedure of cleaning. Shoot it some more. It will be fine. Sitting down and concentrating on every little nuance of a trigger-pull can drive you up the wall. Trying to compare identical pistols for quality of trigger-pull can leave you mumbling to yourself. Shoot the 19. Clean it. Shoot it. The trigger will be fine. FWIW, I bought a G-22 late last year. I cleaned it. I shot it. I cleaned it. I shot it some more. It now has 1,300+ rounds through it. The trigger is very fine indeed.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:48   #4
paddle007

I just did the 25 cent polish and Glock 3.5 lb connector on my carefully cleaned and mantained 27 and it's good. Just checked a friends never cleaned, lubed or mantained 27 and it's better than mine. The Glock Koolaid is confusing and addictive. I think the general consensus of shoot it more has merit.
Old 02-09-2010, 16:13   #5
Duck of Death

Or you could fix it, I bought a NEW G34 w/4.5 connector and did a 2 lb trigger job on it. Why wait for the trigger to get nominally smoother.

FIX IT

I think, therefore I am, I think?
Duck of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 21:20   #6
btmj

Thanks for the comments

I shot another 200 rounds through the G19 this afternoon, and also ran a two clips through the G17. And yes, I think the G19 is improving with more use.

One thing I am certain of, whatever slight differences in trigger pull might exist, I do not notice them when shooting... I shoot both weapons equally fine. I don't notice the difference with live ammo, only when dry firing.

As far as a lighter trigger pull... I would not want it lighter on either gun. As a young (er) man I cut my teeth on DA revolvers, a SW model 59 9mm, and an old 1911 (actually made by Colt) with a harsh GI trigger. To me, the Glock trigger is very nice right out of the box.
btmj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
old trigger