GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 19:05   #1
Wp.22
Senior Member
 
Wp.22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: philippines
Posts: 3,324
Send a message via Yahoo to Wp.22
Gordon: Youth offender law a mistake

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquire...-law-a-mistake

MANILA, Philippines—Sen. Richard Gordon promised to review the Youth Offenders’ Law if he becomes president, noting that criminals use children as their legmen to evade prosecution.

“The law was a mistake. I voted for it and I regret it,” Gordon said at the Inquirer-sponsored presidential forum at the UP Theater on Monday.

“The law has good intentions but adults were behind these minors,” he said in Filipino.

Gordon said that as part of his legislative agenda if he became president, he would also urge Congress to “teach young people more accountability” and not just separate them from adult criminals once a review of the law was made.

“We need to plug the loopholes,” he added.

During the forum, panelist Fr. Joaquin Bernas, a constitutional expert, asked Gordon what meaning he would give the word “rebellion.”

Bernas premised his question on President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo’s declaration of martial law in Maguindanao province last year, citing rebellion, following the massacre of 57 people by alleged supporters of the Ampatuan clan.

“Rebellion does not exist in Mindanao,” said Gordon, a graduate of the UP law school. “As far as I’m concerned, rebellion is an uprising to unseat the government. There was no such effort but there was an effort to hide the killings.”

Bernas repeated his question, and Gordon said “the proper crime was murder.” He said the rebellion charge was just “a cop-out, an attempt to … protect them (the Ampatuans) from the more serious offense of [57] murder cases individually.”

Bernas said the senator still had not answered his question, and asked his question a third time. Gordon said: “There is no rebellion, no public uprising. The government still exists …”
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Wp.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 19:22   #2
CatsMeow
Senior Member
 
CatsMeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manila, imported from Cebu City
Posts: 2,710
A little late for that, Senator. A UP Law grad like him should remember what the road to hell is paved with.
__________________
"My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum."
CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 20:26   #3
isuzu
Senior Member
 
isuzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North America
Posts: 4,173
Aw, come on! He should have known better before he voted for the law.
__________________
The wise learn many things from their foes.

Samozaryadniy Karabin sistemi Simonova
isuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:28   #4
PMMA97
MNSAmessdetail
 
PMMA97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Subic Bay, Philippines
Posts: 1,836


Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsMeow View Post
A little late for that, Senator. A UP Law grad like him should remember what the road to hell is paved with.
UP pala si Gordon. I never thought that UP Law had such huge college bull ring.

Band of Glockers
PMMA97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:36   #5
CatsMeow
Senior Member
 
CatsMeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manila, imported from Cebu City
Posts: 2,710
I met him at Subic in 1995, and he kept referring to our law school as "University of Law, College of the Philippines". Still, the UP Law education didn't take the brashness out of him, as is still evident today.

And he's running for President... Let's see if he will work for the modification of the law in question after the elections.
__________________
"My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum."
CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:09   #6
MAJINKONG
Sr. Member
 
MAJINKONG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Free Flood
Posts: 355
he is a proponent of volunteerism... he will make every citizen a volunteer before being hired for a job.
MAJINKONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:03   #7
Allegra
Senior Member
 
Allegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Philippines
Posts: 6,706
I'm about to vote for him
Anyone with concrete reasons why I should not?
__________________
" When I'm eating,that's all I think about / If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching / If I have to fight,it will be just as good a day to die as any other / If you can concentrate always on the present,you'll be a happy man "
- the Camel Driver
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:10   #8
pipo
Senior Member
 
pipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 244
i read he is one of those politicians who supported the proposed gun control bill. This is enough reason for me to withdraw my support for him
__________________
a 9mm MAY expand but a .45 will NEVER shrink...
pipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:41   #9
Kaiser Soze
Notorious
 
Kaiser Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegra View Post
I'm about to vote for him
Anyone with concrete reasons why I should not?
When he was relieved of his duties as SBMA Chairman, he barricaded himself within the area, and was caught on camera BURNING and STOMPING on the Philippine flag. (I'm trying to find a video of the act)

Another reason is amidst all of the problems we're facing now, one of his priority bills is a law to add a ninth ray to the flag. Not job creation, not hunger alleviation, not reformed taxation, he wants to mess with the flag. The ninth ray is supposed to represent Muslim Filipinos, and I'd be onboard to support this under different circumstances, but here's the thing: Filipino Muslims didn't even ask for it! (I asked some Muslim acquaintances who are from different areas of Mindanao, and this was the first time they'd heard of it...and their opinion is that there's nothing wrong with the current flag, so it's really a non-issue...ang sabi nga nung isa, he should focus on bringing more teachers and doctors, and infrastructure to Mindanao instead of this!)

I am a fan of his work ethic and his smarts, but I don't think I'm going to vote for his for Prez.
__________________
"Do unto others...tapos TAKBO!"

"Do unto others as they do unto you...but do it FIRST!"

S.O.E. Tambay #7

Last edited by Kaiser Soze; 02-09-2010 at 09:00.. Reason: Added some things
Kaiser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:31   #10
Allegra
Senior Member
 
Allegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Philippines
Posts: 6,706
Burning the pinoy flag! can this be confirmed?

I'm looking for charges of corruption
I can forgive his gun control act if he and BF can make pinoys follow the law
I'm not looking for miracles
I just want justice to be served , the guilty to be punished so everyone will obey the law
Pantay pantay the law should apply to everyone walang malakas

That way , makikita naming mahihirap na level ang playing field
sisipagin kami magtrabaho kasi alam naming may pag asa ,
Na kahit mayaman ka kailangan ka pa rin sumunod sa batas

and it takes political will and brass balls to do that
and Dick has balls!!
__________________
" When I'm eating,that's all I think about / If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching / If I have to fight,it will be just as good a day to die as any other / If you can concentrate always on the present,you'll be a happy man "
- the Camel Driver
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:49   #11
Eye Cutter
Moderator
 
Eye Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dr. B. Eye
Posts: 9,528


I think the Ang Ladlad Party List Group is supporting Gordon and Fernando,

Meron ka na Dick, Meron ka pa BF!

LoL!
__________________
trigger happy!
Eye Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 15:03   #12
PMMA97
MNSAmessdetail
 
PMMA97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Subic Bay, Philippines
Posts: 1,836


Erap's Executive Order number 1 was to remove Gordon from SBMA.

Maybe it was a retaliatory move against Dick because Eraps Jeep was not allowed to campaign in Olongapo.

I never saw the flag stomping though.
PMMA97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 16:25   #13
Allegra
Senior Member
 
Allegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Philippines
Posts: 6,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMMA97 View Post
Erap's Executive Order number 1 was to remove Gordon from SBMA.

Maybe it was a retaliatory move against Dick because Eraps Jeep was not allowed to campaign in Olongapo.

I never saw the flag stomping though.
I remeber my first visit to subic, uso pa duty free
Nahuli ako ng police , for not stopping sa stop sign
I said to myself , this is one first class community

Same w/ BF
Binawi ng MMDA ang mga kinuha ng squatters sa national road here in Laguna
Squatters both rich and poor
Mga barong barong pati , malaking gate ng private hospital even half a shopping center
Something the mayors were afraid to do

also thinking about Gibo , pero still unproven but huge on potential
__________________
" When I'm eating,that's all I think about / If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching / If I have to fight,it will be just as good a day to die as any other / If you can concentrate always on the present,you'll be a happy man "
- the Camel Driver
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 17:33   #14
PMMA97
MNSAmessdetail
 
PMMA97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Subic Bay, Philippines
Posts: 1,836


Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegra View Post
I remeber my first visit to subic, uso pa duty free
Nahuli ako ng police , for not stopping sa stop sign
I said to myself , this is one first class community
During Dicks time the SBMA police WAS world class specifically on traffic matters. But now I am seeing a sad decline in enforcement. SBMA vehicles flagrantly violating their own rules. Rolling stops. Confusing traffic signs. Disregarding pedestrians right of way.

But the traffic situation in Olongapo City, which is Gordon country, is getting worse.
PMMA97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 00:23   #15
Toby1006Glock
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Subic Bay
Posts: 93
Send a message via Yahoo to Toby1006Glock
PMMA97, the traffic situation is getting worse in Olongapo kasi you have migrants from all over the country na lahat gusto magkaroon ng magandang buhay sa Olongapo either as jeepney / tricycle drivers, you have Muslim vendors na may nga Delica vans, scooters - lahat ito nakakakuha ng license sa LTO without undergoing honest-to-goodness defensive driving seminar, no idea about driving etiquette, road courtesy etc. In fact, most of Filipino drivers sa bansa natin natuto mag-drive thru experience at turo ni daddy at kuya. Kaya pag-nagdrive inside SBMA, ayun huli because wala tayo idea about traffic rules. Still the City Hall compliments it with defensive driving seminar among public utility drivers everytime they renew their permit to drive in Olongapo. BTW, ito ay brainchild ni Mayor Richard "Dick" Gordon when he was mayor.

Sad that people would vote for someone who has the name or pedigree instead of track record or accomplishments. What would we feel if we apply for a job, your resume says cum laude ka, with all the awards, recognitions, trainings and what have you. Tapos you got beaten out for the job by someone who's only qualification for the position is his illustrious name. Kaya si Dick Gordon inspite of his track record, accomplishments eh nahihirapan sa campaign kasi wala siyang apelyido na illustrious sa tingin ng iba. Look at my aunt, Haydee Yorac or even Solita "Winnie" Monsod, we all know they are both qualified to be senators, because they have the smarts, track record and integrity. Yet they lost to guys like Tito Sotto, Ramon Revilla Sr & Jr, Lito Lapid. Kaya we have no one to blame but ourselves kasi "shallow" ang criteria natin.

Kaya pagtapos ng gun ban, i-line up na natin yung posters at tarps ng local at national candidates sa gun range at putukan natin. Bibigyan ko ng campaign poster ko si PMMA97 para putukan niya. hehehe. God bless to all BOGS.

P.S. no flag stomping/burning incident during the Subic Siege. Maybe Kaiser Soze was referring to the burning of the fire truck and when Dick was vigorously waving the flag with a broken pole. I was there all 3 months when we defied Executive Order No. 1, we all felt vindicated when the excesses and abuses of Erap led to his own ouster.
__________________
BOG #1006
Glock 17
Part time shooter, full-time husband, father and dedicated public servant...
Toby1006Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 00:32   #16
mansky
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 37
Going back to the Youth Offender Law...

Its such an ill thought off law created by Mr Sharon Cuneta. Have you noticed how much of the crime being reportedly lately are committed by people below 18yo?

ps. Dick probabaly signed and gave his approval of the bill because Kiko is a fraternity brother of his in UP
mansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 00:43   #17
Wp.22
Senior Member
 
Wp.22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: philippines
Posts: 3,324
Send a message via Yahoo to Wp.22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby1006Glock View Post
PMMA97, the traffic situation is getting worse in Olongapo kasi you have migrants from all over the country na lahat gusto magkaroon ng magandang buhay sa Olongapo either as jeepney / tricycle drivers, you have Muslim vendors na may nga Delica vans, scooters - lahat ito nakakakuha ng license sa LTO without undergoing honest-to-goodness defensive driving seminar, no idea about driving etiquette, road courtesy etc. In fact, most of Filipino drivers sa bansa natin natuto mag-drive thru experience at turo ni daddy at kuya. Kaya pag-nagdrive inside SBMA, ayun huli because wala tayo idea about traffic rules. Still the City Hall compliments it with defensive driving seminar among public utility drivers everytime they renew their permit to drive in Olongapo. BTW, ito ay brainchild ni Mayor Richard "Dick" Gordon when he was mayor.

Sad that people would vote for someone who has the name or pedigree instead of track record or accomplishments. What would we feel if we apply for a job, your resume says cum laude ka, with all the awards, recognitions, trainings and what have you. Tapos you got beaten out for the job by someone who's only qualification for the position is his illustrious name. Kaya si Dick Gordon inspite of his track record, accomplishments eh nahihirapan sa campaign kasi wala siyang apelyido na illustrious sa tingin ng iba. Look at my aunt, Haydee Yorac or even Solita "Winnie" Monsod, we all know they are both qualified to be senators, because they have the smarts, track record and integrity. Yet they lost to guys like Tito Sotto, Ramon Revilla Sr & Jr, Lito Lapid. Kaya we have no one to blame but ourselves kasi "shallow" ang criteria natin.

Kaya pagtapos ng gun ban, i-line up na natin yung posters at tarps ng local at national candidates sa gun range at putukan natin. Bibigyan ko ng campaign poster ko si PMMA97 para putukan niya. hehehe. God bless to all BOGS.

P.S. no flag stomping/burning incident during the Subic Siege. Maybe Kaiser Soze was referring to the burning of the fire truck and when Dick was vigorously waving the flag with a broken pole. I was there all 3 months when we defied Executive Order No. 1, we all felt vindicated when the excesses and abuses of Erap led to his own ouster.

Nandyan naman si Flash Gordon same surname ni Dick
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Wp.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:54   #18
Allegra
Senior Member
 
Allegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Philippines
Posts: 6,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby1006Glock View Post
PMMA97, the traffic situation is getting worse in Olongapo kasi you have migrants from all over the country na lahat gusto magkaroon ng magandang buhay sa Olongapo either as jeepney / tricycle drivers, you have Muslim vendors na may nga Delica vans, scooters - lahat ito nakakakuha ng license sa LTO without undergoing honest-to-goodness defensive driving seminar, no idea about driving etiquette, road courtesy etc. In fact, most of Filipino drivers sa bansa natin natuto mag-drive thru experience at turo ni daddy at kuya. Kaya pag-nagdrive inside SBMA, ayun huli because wala tayo idea about traffic rules. Still the City Hall compliments it with defensive driving seminar among public utility drivers everytime they renew their permit to drive in Olongapo. BTW, ito ay brainchild ni Mayor Richard "Dick" Gordon when he was mayor.

Sad that people would vote for someone who has the name or pedigree instead of track record or accomplishments. What would we feel if we apply for a job, your resume says cum laude ka, with all the awards, recognitions, trainings and what have you. Tapos you got beaten out for the job by someone who's only qualification for the position is his illustrious name. Kaya si Dick Gordon inspite of his track record, accomplishments eh nahihirapan sa campaign kasi wala siyang apelyido na illustrious sa tingin ng iba. Look at my aunt, Haydee Yorac or even Solita "Winnie" Monsod, we all know they are both qualified to be senators, because they have the smarts, track record and integrity. Yet they lost to guys like Tito Sotto, Ramon Revilla Sr & Jr, Lito Lapid. Kaya we have no one to blame but ourselves kasi "shallow" ang criteria natin.

Kaya pagtapos ng gun ban, i-line up na natin yung posters at tarps ng local at national candidates sa gun range at putukan natin. Bibigyan ko ng campaign poster ko si PMMA97 para putukan niya. hehehe. God bless to all BOGS.

P.S. no flag stomping/burning incident during the Subic Siege. Maybe Kaiser Soze was referring to the burning of the fire truck and when Dick was vigorously waving the flag with a broken pole. I was there all 3 months when we defied Executive Order No. 1, we all felt vindicated when the excesses and abuses of Erap led to his own ouster.
Tell him , yun lang ang wish ko sa next pres
Ipatupad ang batas

and if he needs a press sec , pwede rin ako heehee just kidding
__________________
" When I'm eating,that's all I think about / If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching / If I have to fight,it will be just as good a day to die as any other / If you can concentrate always on the present,you'll be a happy man "
- the Camel Driver
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 13:59   #19
PMMA97
MNSAmessdetail
 
PMMA97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Subic Bay, Philippines
Posts: 1,836


I think Toby1006Glocks observations are correct. I have seen improvements in enforcement but the sheer volume of vehicles and wanton disregard of the law by most of the motorists oftentimes overwhelms the traffic enforcers.

And with additional investments by corporations being poured into the city I am quite sure that this traffic problem could potentially be a nightmare for Olongapo.

I personally know the head of the Olongapo Traffic Management Board and I think he is doing his best given his limited resources.

Penge city hall sticker
PMMA97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:05   #20
Toby1006Glock
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Subic Bay
Posts: 93
Send a message via Yahoo to Toby1006Glock
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMMA97 View Post
I think Toby1006Glocks observations are correct. I have seen improvements in enforcement but the sheer volume of vehicles and wanton disregard of the law by most of the motorists oftentimes overwhelms the traffic enforcers.

And with additional investments by corporations being poured into the city I am quite sure that this traffic problem could potentially be a nightmare for Olongapo.

I personally know the head of the Olongapo Traffic Management Board and I think he is doing his best given his limited resources.

Penge city hall sticker
Yun lang! Bigyan kita business card ko, lalo kalang tutuluyan ng mga TEO's natin. God bless bro
__________________
BOG #1006
Glock 17
Part time shooter, full-time husband, father and dedicated public servant...
Toby1006Glock is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:41.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 644
156 Members
488 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31