SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:33   #21
Chris Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6roll View Post
The Gun Cellar kinda wend down when Tom, retired and then his daughter took over the bisness, now they've mooved to MOODY, Alabama. Tom is actually in a nursing home.
It's been quite a while since I've shopped at The Gun Cellar. Didn't realize they had relocated to Moody. They were in Riverchase for MANY years.
The last time I was in there, it seemed to have gone down quite a bit. I decided then that I wasn't going to do business there any more.
I really hate to hear that about Tom. It seems it had been a while since I'd seen him in there.
Chris Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:08   #22
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

when im in the area i stop by GSD but their selection is limited in my opinion.

not really been impressed with any gun shops in mid east alabama auburn area....

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:52   #23
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Hoover Tactical (Birmingham)

As a guy once said to me: Dude! its a gun shop the size of a Kroger!!!!.... It even has gear, clothing, a shooting range and a DELI!!

I did visit a few weeks ago and it is the largest gunshop I have ever seen. I think it was actually a Bruno's Grocery that was converted. Its set up very well (linear), has polite approachable staff, and a nice deli. Most other gunshops could fit inside their knife display area hahahaha! I dont really care for indoor shooting ranges but yep, they have one.

Overall this is easily the koolest gunshop I have visited with the nicest staff. If I had to be super critical I would say that

1. more than once I got the "I dont know too much about those", in response to a question about a firearm that they had displayed. (easy fix)

2. I dont think I would have put the deli and the shooting range on the same end of the building. People have to lug all their gear through the deli to get to the outer door of the range. Lets just say that with all the comotion and clatter, I felt hurried to eat my meal and move along. (maybe I am old)

Last edited by FireForged; 06-23-2012 at 09:53..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:10   #24
FireForged
Millenium #3936

All I can say about Hoover Tac prices is that when I was there they had AK Underfolders for around $500 and ammo was "average". The 2 pistols that I went there to find were cheaper by about $80ea as compared to 3 other gunshop I had already shopped. The pistol that I really wanted was the Smith Wesson shield but they didnt have any... I will go back as soon as they do.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:17   #25
G21FAN
Useless loser

Send a message via ICQ to G21FAN
Where is Woods and Water?

I second Simmon's in Bessemer.

I havent been in Hoover Tactical sinse they opened the big one in the Old Bruno's.

In the South, we didn't turn our swords into plowshares. We turned our church bells into guns.
(The Elderly Kid)
G21FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 16:41   #26
Mudshark100

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21FAN View Post
Where is Woods and Water?
Tuscaloosa
Old 06-26-2012, 00:04   #27
uaengineer

Woods and Water isn't my favorite place for guns. Really the whole store is overpriced since its where every frat boy in town spends dad's money on whatever to justify their Ducks Unlimited decal. Haha, I'm being harsh, I know so I apologize. I did buy a gun from them a few years back that was hard to find anywhere at the time and paid a premium price compared to what it's worth today. The great ammo shortage of 2009 yielded some outrageous ammo prices from there also. It's an ok place, but it's a short drive to Academy also.

I haven't had too great of an experience at Hoover Tactical, but I doubt I'll buy from there or use the range. The range rules changed weekly several months ago and went from renting guns to not renting guns, and I don't know if all the employees were given the same info. The google reviews for this place are kinda harsh lately, but I will say that the couple different guys I dealt with while I was browsing were pretty nice. One even offered to let me shoot his personal gun on the range if he had had it with him that day since they took away the rentals (don't know if they rent now or not since it's been couple months since going in there). I will say that a couple guys in there didn't seem too knowledgable about different guns or calibers (while open carrying with the rest of the employees) but they were friendly. YMMV and don't want to be too critical of any store or dealer so just try them all out yourself.

Last edited by uaengineer; 06-26-2012 at 00:07..
uaengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 15:35   #28
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaengineer View Post
Woods and Water isn't my favorite place for guns. Really the whole store is overpriced since its where every frat boy in town spends dad's money on whatever to justify their Ducks Unlimited decal. Haha, I'm being harsh, I know so I apologize. I did buy a gun from them a few years back that was hard to find anywhere at the time and paid a premium price compared to what it's worth today. The great ammo shortage of 2009 yielded some outrageous ammo prices from there also. It's an ok place, but it's a short drive to Academy also.

I haven't had too great of an experience at Hoover Tactical, but I doubt I'll buy from there or use the range. The range rules changed weekly several months ago and went from renting guns to not renting guns, and I don't know if all the employees were given the same info. The google reviews for this place are kinda harsh lately, but I will say that the couple different guys I dealt with while I was browsing were pretty nice. One even offered to let me shoot his personal gun on the range if he had had it with him that day since they took away the rentals (don't know if they rent now or not since it's been couple months since going in there). I will say that a couple guys in there didn't seem too knowledgable about different guns or calibers (while open carrying with the rest of the employees) but they were friendly. YMMV and don't want to be too critical of any store or dealer so just try them all out yourself.
I agree that the guys at hoover do not seem "Real" knowledgable but the prices are fair to good (depending on the weapon) and they very accomodating. I take the drive to Hoover because the local gun shop guys in my town seem to really dislike customers ( if that makes any sense).

I saved $100 bucks on a pistol I recently bought there but was a little irritated that one sales guys said they didnt have a particular gun and wouldnt for several months while 20 feet away it lay in the display case. The Deli was good though so it all evened out.

Another observation about hoover tactical is that they are not good at answering emails but do answer the phone. fyi

I dont care for indoor ranges to that is not a plus for me. As far as the google reviews, I read a few of those prior to my first trip down there and my feeling was that most of those reviews seem a little overly negitive and after several trips down there I dont find even 50% of those compaints to be vaild ( in my laymans opinion)

Last edited by FireForged; 06-28-2012 at 15:41..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 19:39   #29
KenMac

I like visiting B'han Pistol Wholesale and the guys are friendly, but when I was going to buy my G29sf, they couldn't locate one. After 3 days I went to SE Guns and bought from stock. I don't like the personnel, but I've bought my last 4 pistols from them. Also, tax rate is better at both of these two.
KenMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 17:45   #30
frizz

Mark's Outdoors in Birmingham (Vestavia Hills) is a winner, and has been a good shop for over a decade. They also have great prices on new guns, but I think that they are a tad high on used ones.

On the flip side, the used guns are usually in excellent condition, and usually look new in the display counter.

After they expanded the whole store, the gun section has gotten much better and so crowded.

In Montgomery, The Gun Shoppe is a nice boutique-style store run by Doug. This means that you may pay a premium of up to 10% or so, but you receive solid gold service in return. It's a trade-off.

As a boutique store, the stocked inventory is limited as is the stock of accessories. But he can order anything because he has several distributors that he uses.

Doug is VERY knowledgeable about firearms, and he can take a good bit of time with you and not make you feel rushed.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 20:30   #31
crazycooter91
Roll Tide

Larry's in Huntsville has always done me right and the prices are worth the extra drive considering I live 3 blocks from Millers Gun & Pawn here in Hartselle.
crazycooter91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 16:49   #32
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

For the Birmingham area ...

- Simmons Sporting Goods is one of my favorite stores. They are also the only place locally to buy reloading primers and powders other than Bass Pro. They expanded their store and it is very nice. Customer service A+

- Hoover Tactical's range is top notch. Probably the best indoor range I have ever shot at. They have a huge selection of "tactical" oriented firearms. The downside, don't expect to find anything for hunting or non-tactical here. Customer service A+

- The Gun Cellar moved to Moody a little over a year ago so they are very close to my house. Their selection isn't huge but they can get me most of what I want within a few days. I pass right by it every day on my way home, so that is a plus. Also the only place I have seen locally that carries BALLISTOL! Best customer service in the area IMO. A+

- Marks Outdoors is good but always busy. I get frustrated trying to see what they have in stock with the crowds. I haven't been there in a while but I have bought a few things in the past. I need to stop by sometime.

- Birmingham Pistol Wholesale has a great selection but I was not impressed with the customer service. I was ready to lay down the cash for a gun in stock but the workers kept chatting with customers that weren't even buying and never acknowledged me. Right when I thought I could grab somebody the phone would ring (this happened twice). I got pissed and took my business elsewhere and got the same gun for the same price.

- Bass Pro has a lot of guns but they are overpriced. If you aren't the only customer at the counter, you won't get any customer service. I don't shop for guns here.

- I have never been to S.E. Guns but plan on it sometime.

Any of the gun shows at the BJCC are worth going to. Incredible selection but you have to be very vigilant on prices. I have seen prices vary on the exact same product $100-200 only a few tables away. There are always a few gems to be found, though. I can't remember the last time I left a show without something I didn't walk in with

Overall, I would rank Simmons as the #1 gun store I have ever been to in Alabama.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
|

Last edited by Fear Night; 12-09-2012 at 17:48..
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 14:03   #33
phalanxr

Gold Mine Pawn Shop, Daphne Alabama.

Last time I was in there though some new bald guy treated me like ****. I buy several guns every 2 months, and have enough guns if I decided to sell of them could pay off my '12 tacoma...

I was there trying to buy a family member a Spyderco Dragonfly and a Griptillian for my brother and the dude wouldn't give me the time or day.
phalanxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 17:33   #34
uaengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Night View Post
For the Birmingham area ...

- Simmons Sporting Goods is one of my favorite stores. They are also the only place locally to buy reloading primers and powders other than Bass Pro. They expanded their store and it is very nice. Customer service A+

- Hoover Tactical's range is top notch. Probably the best indoor range I have ever shot at. They have a huge selection of "tactical" oriented firearms. The downside, don't expect to find anything for hunting or non-tactical here. Customer service A+

- The Gun Cellar moved to Moody a little over a year ago so they are very close to my house. Their selection isn't huge but they can get me most of what I want within a few days. I pass right by it every day on my way home, so that is a plus. Also the only place I have seen locally that carries BALLISTOL! Best customer service in the area IMO. A+

- Marks Outdoors is good but always busy. I get frustrated trying to see what they have in stock with the crowds. I haven't been there in a while but I have bought a few things in the past. I need to stop by sometime.

- Birmingham Pistol Wholesale has a great selection but I was not impressed with the customer service. I was ready to lay down the cash for a gun in stock but the workers kept chatting with customers that weren't even buying and never acknowledged me. Right when I thought I could grab somebody the phone would ring (this happened twice). I got pissed and took my business elsewhere and got the same gun for the same price.

- Bass Pro has a lot of guns but they are overpriced. If you aren't the only customer at the counter, you won't get any customer service. I don't shop for guns here.

- I have never been to S.E. Guns but plan on it sometime.

Any of the gun shows at the BJCC are worth going to. Incredible selection but you have to be very vigilant on prices. I have seen prices vary on the exact same product $100-200 only a few tables away. There are always a few gems to be found, though. I can't remember the last time I left a show without something I didn't walk in with

Overall, I would rank Simmons as the #1 gun store I have ever been to in Alabama.
Sad that the Gun Cellar moved. Always thought they were some good guys and good selection/prices.

Really hadn't been in Hoover Tactical in months, but I will say that the week after Sandy Hook in the midst of the buying frenzy and not being able to find any Glock standard capacity mags online, I took a chance on Hoover Tactical and they had a basket full of 17 round mags and even 33 round mags. Also had a box of P-Mags on the floor that they were selling at normal price while most places had theirs sky high. I got a few of the 17 rounders for $26 each. I know their walls were literally bare at the time, and I haven't been back in since so I have no idea what their mag stock/price is now.

I can't go to Mark's unless it's first thing in the morning to avoid the crowd and headache of finding a parking space. I will say since the buying frenzy his ammo stock has been decent and priced no more than what anyone online is selling it for right now, but I haven't been in there in a couple of weeks so who knows now. I did call Mark's recently curious if they ever happened to stock any Mosin Nagants and the guy didn't know what I was talking about. I know that may not be their "thing" but I was curious anyway.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a store in the Birmingham area that sells Mosins and the 7.62x54R surplus stuff? I can get one online, but for such a cheap rifle I don't think the extra $50 to ship it and FFL is worth it. Same thing for the ammo, would rather just be able to buy locally if possible.

Last edited by uaengineer; 01-18-2013 at 17:35..
Old 01-18-2013, 20:26   #35
HauntedAlabama

Quote:

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a store in the Birmingham area that sells Mosins and the 7.62x54R surplus stuff? I can get one online, but for such a cheap rifle I don't think the extra $50 to ship it and FFL is worth it. Same thing for the ammo, would rather just be able to buy locally if possible.
It is not in Bham but there is a store in Tuscaloosa, Guns and Ammo, that usually has a rack full of Mosins and keeps loose boxes and cans of ammo for them. They are on Greensboro, here is their website http://www.gunsandammollc.com/ . I bought my Glock 30sf there and the owner price matched Hoover Tactical when I told him they had the best price I had found. If you don't mind the drive to T-Town they can hook you up.
HauntedAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 23:29   #36
uaengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntedAlabama View Post
It is not in Bham but there is a store in Tuscaloosa, Guns and Ammo, that usually has a rack full of Mosins and keeps loose boxes and cans of ammo for them. They are on Greensboro, here is their website http://www.gunsandammollc.com/ . I bought my Glock 30sf there and the owner price matched Hoover Tactical when I told him they had the best price I had found. If you don't mind the drive to T-Town they can hook you up.
How long have they been there? Lived there several years and never knew about them. I'm curious what their prices are so I'll have to check them out. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 01-19-2013, 00:02   #37
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

gun shops in my area are so limited or high priced that i have to try to swap guns with regular folks locally to get what i want.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 01-19-2013 at 00:03..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:27   #38
etc1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Todd View Post
I HIGHLY recommend Birmingham Pistol Wholesale (BPW) on Hwy 11 in Trussville. Johnny Walker is the owner. I've bought and traded with him for many years and always found him to be honest and his prices competitive. But the MAIN reason I like to do business with him is the fact that he highly values his customers. Many (not all) gun shops around Birmingham are owned and operated by conceited jerks, and they employee conceited jerks, as well. I like feeling like I'm not considered just another "goob" wandering around the store.
Also, BPW has a huge variety of firearms, and if Johnny doesn't have it, he'll do his best to track it down for you.
Was there in October while visiting a buddy in odenville. Nice folks!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:36   #39
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Really hadn't been in Hoover Tactical in months, but I will say that the week after Sandy Hook in the midst of the buying frenzy and not being able to find any Glock standard capacity mags online, I took a chance on Hoover Tactical and they had a basket full of 17 round mags and even 33 round mags. Also had a box of P-Mags on the floor that they were selling at normal price while most places had theirs sky high. I got a few of the 17 rounders for $26 each. I know their walls were literally bare at the time, and I haven't been back in since so I have no idea what their mag stock/price is now.

I can't go to Mark's unless it's first thing in the morning to avoid the crowd and headache of finding a parking space. I will say since the buying frenzy his ammo stock has been decent and priced no more than what anyone online is selling it for right now, but I haven't been in there in a couple of weeks so who knows now. I did call Mark's recently curious if they ever happened to stock any Mosin Nagants and the guy didn't know what I was talking about. I know that may not be their "thing" but I was curious anyway.

I have been to Hoover Tactical about 3 times since Sandy Hook. Most recently a little over a week ago. They are fully cleaned out of Glock magazines now, unfortunately.

Birmingham pistol wholesale has some racks on the floor with surplus rifles. Not a huge selection but I'm sure you could find a few Mosins.

|
|
|
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:11   #40
HauntedAlabama

Quote:
How long have they been there? Lived there several years and never knew about them. I'm curious what their prices are so I'll have to check them out. Thanks for letting me know.
A year or so I think? I stumbled onto them using gun genie. It's not a huge shop but he keeps a ton of Mosins. I have noticed at the public range a ton of UA students shooting historical rifles, I figure he was one of them or figured he could supply that market.
HauntedAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote