Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-24-2009, 15:30   #1
fxstchewy

Laser's on a snubbie?

For CCW is a laser even needed? I know that for police duty it might be but for CCW use would it even be advised to have it on there? I would think that if you ever needed a snubbie it would be at such a close distance that it would be point and shoot with no time to look for a red dot..... your opinion?
Old 04-24-2009, 15:44   #2
Cross-X
CLM Number 266
Charter Lifetime Member

Sure thing -- I have a CT grip installed on my S&W 442 snubbie. Love it!
Cross-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 15:51   #3
SIGSAREBETTER
Teh Pieman

Send a message via AIM to SIGSAREBETTER

Police and civilian duties for a snub are going to be identical.....light concealed carry, BUG/last ditch, and it both applications the laser is fantastic. I have an M638 with LG405s.
SIGSAREBETTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 16:27   #4
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstchewy View Post
For CCW is a laser even needed? I know that for police duty it might be but for CCW use would it even be advised to have it on there? I would think that if you ever needed a snubbie it would be at such a close distance that it would be point and shoot with no time to look for a red dot..... your opinion?

Go to Crimson Trace's web sight and read their spin on the virtues of having a LASER on any handgun.

Get A Free Training DVD and Catalog
Old 04-24-2009, 17:19   #5
Jeepnik

My wife's carried a Taurus 85 for quite a few years now. Back when they first came out, lasers were mounted to the trigger guard. She saw one in a magazine and wanted to try it. Worked pretty darned well. That clunky laser is long gone, and she now has a Crimson Trace on it. While she has never had occasion to employ it, other than at the range, she likes knowing that at the range she would normally employ it at, its put the dot on the target ans squeeze the trigger.

These days, I carry a Charter Arms Southpaw as a backup. Someday Crimson Trace may make a set of grips for it. If they do, I'll be first in line.
Jeepnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 17:36   #6
cusn

I think the laser comes in handy when firing from waist level. I don't want to hit my left hand as it fights off the threat to my life. Also, the laser is great for practicing these types of shots.
cusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:47   #7
AZ_Quailhunter
NRA Life Member

It seems that most people really like them. I have not been able to try them yet, but I think I will rent one at my range and see how they work. Sounds like they would be great for quick target acquisition.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:53   #8
Glockanatorrrrr

Lasers are common on revolvers.
Old 04-27-2009, 19:54   #9
dugo

CT's on snubbies?

Yes! Here's my 2 and a grain of salt, FWIW: Seems like they are a panacea for short sight radius, close up engagement where time to get a sight orientation is at a premium, and low light. Statistically, that covers a lot of SD situations.

Still got to practice, though, and practice without the laser much more than with. (Need some practice with the laser, since eye use is different from open sights.) They won't get you through every situation, and your basic handling has to be kept up to snuff anyway. It is still a snubbie.

Many situations, though, they seem to be really (!) helpful.

Like Blitzer said, you might check the web site if you haven't yet. They have a free DVD. They also have some preliminary statistics that may point to very good real life results. 'course they are only statistics, and very preliminary at that, so not much real meaning at this point. Still, gets you thinking. I have more than one CT on snubbies, by the way.

One more point: regarding speed, I think the necessary eye work with the laser is faster than using open sights, so would be a plus in a close-in reactionary situation, if it effected things. With laser, eye does not have to re-focus from target, to which it is naturally (and strongly) drawn from the outset. Will never be as overall precise as regular sights, probably -- but faster.

Last edited by dugo; 04-27-2009 at 20:02.. Reason: Add
dugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 20:42   #10
Samned2003

I have a Lasermax on my 642 and I really like it. It certainly makes finding the target a lot easier.
Samed2003
Samned2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 19:22   #11
LabTech
Village Jackass

I have a Crimson Trace on my 360PD and now I wouldn't be without it.
Old 05-09-2009, 18:03   #12
doc540

My wife's vision is such that a CT laser on her M36 made an exponential improvement in her shooting ability.
doc540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 18:38   #13
alank2

Hi,

I just added a Crimson Trace LG105 for $147 or so with an 8% off coupon from ebay to my S&W 442. So far I am impressed with the way they feel and work. I'm looking forward to getting to the range and try them at different ranges, but so far the are helpful for dry-fire practice for sure.

Good luck,

Alan
alank2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 20:36   #14
CBRGlocker

Best purchase I've made was a set of LG405's for mine. I figure if I've only got 5 rounds, I'll use all the assistance I can to make them count.
CBRGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 20:47   #15
slewfoot
Random Mayhem

It works for me.

The Snubbie Club
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 20:58   #16
M2 Carbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstchewy View Post
I have lasers or laser/lights on every gun I consider a defense gun, especially the small ones, 2 inch S&W J Frames.

You do not decide on the distance that you will use a gun, the BG does.
If he is shooting at you from 25 yards you had better be proficient with whatever gun you have.
(personally I practice with the small guns out to 50 yards)

Yes the laser is point and shoot. As such it is very fast and accurate.
(I practice several evenings a week with my lasers and laser/lights).
You do not look for the laser dot. You look at where you want to hit. If you are proficient at all you will be bringing the laser on target as you are squeezing the trigger. It's fast and accurate.

Call Crimson Trace. They will send you a free catalog along with a free DVD on the correct use of the laser. It's interesting.
800 442 2406
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 21:20   #17
Road Hog

Good comments, all. I have one on my 642 and like it. Don't use it all the time when I practice so it is just another tool in your tool box, there if you need it.

Now a story. I took a shooting class with a doctor that did abortions. He has a laser on his Glock 17 that he never without and said he has had to draw it three times. Twice he felt that the laser dot visible on the guys chest helped to eliminated the aggressiveness of the situation and the need to shoot. Now that is huge IMO cuz I don't want to shoot anyone while protecting myself if I don't have to.
Road Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:20   #18
doc540

The Snubbie Club

this
doc540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 15:18   #19
zeker2

I have laser (CT or lasermax) on every handgun I might have occasion to carry.

Can't see the iron sights like I used to and in a emotionally charged situation putting the red dot on the target is a reasonably simple operation.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
zeker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 13:02   #20
ccoker

I got to test a 105 of my jframe the other day

it's amazing how fast and accurate I was with it
i
ccoker is offline   Reply With Quote