Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:46   #1
lomfs24

Send a message via AIM to lomfs24 Send a message via Yahoo to lomfs24
Ruger M77 Stock

Hello,
I have an older Ruger M77 heavy barreled 22-250. I am thinking about giving it to my kid to shoot but the stock is too long for him right now. I need to find a youth model stock that would fit that action. I have no idea on where to start looking for such a critter. Any ideas?

I don't want to cut the stock down on that one because as he get's older and wants a longer stock he can just put that one back on.
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. ~Proverbs 14:15
lomfs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 13:04   #2
Brucev

Look at Fajen and Boyd. Do not cut the factory Ruger stock. One day it will be needed. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 19:47   #3
lomfs24

Send a message via AIM to lomfs24 Send a message via Yahoo to lomfs24
Ok I will look at them. I won't cut the stock, so the choices are buy a new stock or new youth model gun. I suspect the stock would be cheaper.
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. ~Proverbs 14:15
lomfs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 20:16   #4
zonie77

Definitely don't cut the original stock. Did that for one of my kids years ago, now that he's grown it made the gun useless. Maybe someday I'll have grandkids.
zonie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 20:51   #5
Brucev

I need to find a youth model stock that would fit that action.

With respect, I would contact Fajen, Boyd, etc. and explain to them that I wanted to buy a youth sized stock to fit the M-77.

I would also suggest that you look for a used Ruger M-77 stock, perhaps one that has already been shortened.

A company named "Ram Line," has produced a number of synthetic type stocks for numerous models of rifles. You might see if they have a stock that you can shorten.

I would personally focus on finding a used M-77 stock. Opening the barrel channel up to accept the heavy .22-250 barrel would not be to big a deal. Just use a dowen and various grades of sandpaper until you have relieved the wood to the right depth, then give it a coat of clear resin or some sort of water proof polyurethane varnish. That will help keep the stock stable in changing weather conditions.

I hope your project is completely successful! Sincerely. Brucev.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote