Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-12-2010, 00:34   #1
infiniti0505

New Mak 90 Furniture?

I recently just picked up a Norinco Mak 90. I wanted to replace the stock with your average AK stock and pistol grip. My plan was to stain the wood a deep brown or a dark stain with a hint of red. My question is where would I find a replacement? Also does anyone have any pictures of their AK's with these wood finishes?
With every breath, we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, 'til it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles which every man of every faith can embrace. These are not polite suggestions, these are codes of behavior, and those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
infiniti0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:38   #2
Puppy

http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDsite/IWDproducts.html

Just make sure you are 922(r) compliant before you swap out the furniture.
Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:12   #3
infiniti0505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDsite/IWDproducts.html

Just make sure you are 922(r) compliant before you swap out the furniture.
922r compliant? can you explain?
With every breath, we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, 'til it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles which every man of every faith can embrace. These are not polite suggestions, these are codes of behavior, and those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:18   #4
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Iron wood designs is an excellent choice to replace AK wood stocks & grips.

This is my Milled MAK-90 after the thumbhole stock was replaced.
The Kalashnikov Klub

The wood is California Black Walnut.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:24   #5
98_1LE

Basically 922r is dictates that a certain count of parts be of US manufacture. I won't get into the specifics as I am no expert, but when I converted my MAK90, I replaced the FCG (fire control group) with the Red Star Arms milled pieces for compliance, and the trigger is amazing (for an AK). This should get you legal. If you put a muzzle device on it or thread the barrel for one, the device must be of US manufacture IIRC (with the parts I outlined).

You could also use US made mags for compliance, but that never appealed to me.

Both of these AK's have Ironwood Designs furniture. Matt is awesome to work with!
The Kalashnikov Klub
98_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:43   #6
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

What is the purpose of 922r?

Replace semi-auto parts with the same semi-auto parts, only difference is "usa" stamped on them?

Who is the "victim" if no parts are replaced?

Who/What is "protected" by 922r?

I have taken my AK's to ranges in Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona. I have NEVER been asked, or even HEARD of any one being asked if their AK was 922 compliant.

The one question I am asked frequently at any range is, "Can I shoot it?"

My answer is always yes.

I have asked many ATF agents about the 922r law. Few even knew what it was. The three things they all did tell me was, The barrel length had to legal, no more than 1 rd when the trigger was pulled, and for it not to be used in a crime.

To date, I have NOT found a single case where someone was charged with a 922 violation.

Last edited by Glockdude1; 11-30-2010 at 20:39..
Glockdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:10   #7
98_1LE

I won't argue that. However if the firearms community wishes to "remain under the RADAR" of the ATF, another way of saying keeping it so you cannot find a single case or conviction or even evidence of selective checks, it is in our best interest to be responsible, self policing and honorable. At least in my opinion.

I agree this particular law is stupid, especially as it pertains to certain scary looking guns, however as law abiding citizens it is our responsibility to comply with the law until such time as we can change it. If you take a step back and look at it, it is more of a "protectionism" law than a firearms law. Our legislators just failed to grandfather everything already imported under the proper column.

Odds are huge that no single individual not being charged with other crimes will ever be charged under 922r. If a vendor started popping out non-compliant guns, I am pretty sure they would have a few unfriendly visits.

Since the AWB expired the proliferation of products in a formerly unobtainable class have become available, both firearms and modifications. A few short years ago much of the gun board Internet population believed the ATF would come down on anyone that made a 20-round drum for a shotgun. Now, which one do you want?

Freedom comes with responsibility, a responsibility to be good citizens. And if you aren't, at least wear the face in public.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:46   #8
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

98_1LE,

The ammo in the top of the pic, is that "Cheetah" ammo? I have always heard it was good stuff.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:57   #9
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Quote:
Basically 922r is dictates that a certain count of parts be of US manufacture.
It specifies that no more than 10 specific parts be of an imported source. The specific parts are somewhat capriciously defined and selected by the BATF and vary some according to weapon type.
Old 02-13-2010, 17:21   #10
98_1LE

Glockdude, yes it is Cheetah. It is brass cased and lead FMJ projectile, which means the closest range to me will allow me to shoot it (they do not allow steel case much less projectile, ammo you bring with has to pass the magnet test). It is dirty like Wolf, and in my rifles both Wolf and the various Bear's group better than the Cheetah. I really don't think it is good ammo, but I am down to 120 or 160 rounds left, so it will be gone soon.

Ron, thanks for the correction. When I was typing it I could not remember, and was too lazy to google it.
Old 02-13-2010, 18:55   #11
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_1LE View Post
Glockdude1, yes it is Cheetah. It is brass cased and lead FMJ projectile, which means the closest range to me will allow me to shoot it (they do not allow steel case much less projectile, ammo you bring with has to pass the magnet test). It is dirty like Wolf, and in my rifles both Wolf and the various Bear's group better than the Cheetah. I really don't think it is good ammo, but I am down to 120 or 160 rounds left, so it will be gone soon.

Ron, thanks for the correction. When I was typing it I could not remember, and was too lazy to google it.
The range I go to, has no ammo restrictions.
http://www.orangegunclub.com

Old 02-13-2010, 23:42   #12
infiniti0505

Ok, but isn't the Mak 90 already complaint? I would imagine even for it to be imported to the states that it already has to be converted.
Glockdude-I hate you, I live in IL and have to drive 40 min to a range. I sure do miss AZ lol :(
98_LE-what color stain did you use on your AK? It looks amazing!
Also what is the point of this 922r in the first place anyways? It seems there are absolutely no benefits other than confusing people

Old 02-13-2010, 23:54   #13
98_1LE

It is Minwax red mahogany and MW poly finish.

The thread where I detailed the process is here: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1013608

I was very very happy with how both stock sets turned out, but definitely favor the laminate. Luck sometimes shines on fools, what can I say lol?

There are 2 different ranges I go to. One does not allow steel anything, the other is fine with steel but does not allow FMJ. All rifle rounds must be soft point or hollow point. It makes buying cheap AK ammo a little extra work.

To add insult to injury, the second range won't allow anyone to shoot rimfires at 100 yards.

Oh well, at least there are places to shoot. I shouldn't complain.

EDIT: Please ignore my shooting, I was having a really bad day lol, but here is another pic of each rifle:
The Kalashnikov Klub
The Kalashnikov Klub

Last edited by 98_1LE; 02-13-2010 at 23:59..
Old 02-14-2010, 08:31   #14
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniti0505 View Post
Glockdude-I hate you, I live in IL and have to drive 40 min to a range. I sure do miss AZ lol :(
Sounds like it is time for you to move.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:21   #15
Puppy

Quote:
922r compliant? can you explain?
922(r) is the U.S. part count needed to keep imported firearms "legal" when converting from a sporting to a non-sporting configuration.

It's a silly law but abiding by it will keep your name & "illegally modified AK-47" story out of your local newspaper.
Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 15:35   #16
my762buzz

Quote:
Ok, but isn't the Mak 90 already complaint? I would imagine even for it to be imported to the states that it already has to be converted.
98_LE-what color stain did you use on your AK? It looks amazing!
Also what is the point of this 922r in the first place anyways? It seems there are absolutely no benefits other than confusing people
Back in 1968, the US Congress created the Gun Control Act. This opened the door to allowing the secretary of the treasury to decide what can be imported and what should not be. There is a whole area of this bill called Title 18 section 922 which spells out unlawful acts. This section follows subsections A through Z.

The begining looks like this:
TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS

Sec. 922. Unlawful acts

(a) It shall be unlawful--
(1) for any person--
(A) except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or
licensed dealer, to engage in the business of importing,
manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or in the course of such
business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in
interstate or foreign commerce; or
(B) except a licensed importer or licensed manufacturer, to
engage in the business of importing or manufacturing ammunition,
or in the course of such business, to ship, transport, or
receive any ammunition in interstate or foreign commerce;
922(r) It shall be [B]unlawful for any
person to assemble from imported
parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any
rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3)

Back in 1989, the standing president had a major falling out with the NRA and decided to get some payback with a big middle finger salute in which he directed an executive order to ban semiauto rifles and shotguns that looked
similar to the real select fire versions. The way this went down was if it had some combination of a pistol grip, threaded muzzle, bayonet, grenade launcher, forward pistol grip, etc... then it would naturally be disallowed from further import.

After this was established, several importers started importing sporterized versions without the offending features and once imported they would take off the receiver which at the time was the legal gun and replace it with a US made receiver. This went on for about 3 years until Congress came up with another way to slow down the import market. The 10 parts rule stated that to legally create a nonimportable semiauto long gun it could not be made from more than 10 original specific parts. This was intentionally worded like this because at the time some of the antigun legal experts convinced the lawmakers that reducing the total specific foreign parts count to 10 would shut down the "evil looking gun" industry for good. They agreed to 10 parts max versus other suggestions like no foreign parts at all which really would have shut down imports. That was the begining of requiring compliance
parts to legally make what the licensed importers could not even dream of importing any further. A year later when the import market was not slowing down and a good quantity of semiauto rifles still flowing in happened to be Chinese MAK90s and Chinese SKS even though the egyptian, hungarian, bulgarian, and Saigas were also being imported at the time by Bwest, Congress and Bill Clinton decided to get drastic. An executive order was created to ban all Chinese semiauto anything and all Chinese ammunition. The 94 assault weapon ban was also created to further eliminate domestic guns made with the same offending features that the 1990 executive order/congressional code amendment prohibited. I still remember Clinton in front of cameras barking at the reporters "Don't tell me this law is not going to save lives."

A few years later in 1998 another major executive order was created.
Clinton and several antigun Congressional members decided the 1994 assault weapon ban was not good enough because there was already millions of high capacity mags grandfathered in legally. The next step was to ban manufacture of semiauto long guns that could readily use these mags. Their main problem now was the 1994 ban had some effect on voters which compounded with other political dissatisfactions and their was a well known revolution in Congress because of that which cost the Democrat Party their majority control and therefore there was no way in hell the newly elected congressional majority being Republican was going to submit to any gun control knowing that it very likely was part of the reason the Republican party
was now a majority. There was not enough votes to force all newly made domestic guns into a low cap only configuration only by amendment to the 68 gun control act, but because the 68 GCA did allow the treasury secretary to determine what is importable, imports were now screwed even further. Anything after 1998 that could utilize a magazine over 10 rounds could not be legally imported. This also implies that if it could not be legally imported it also can't be assembled or configured like that becasue of the 922 r law which states: It shall be [B]unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3)

Your MAK90 was only compliant according to the 1990 import ban and realistically was banned from import in 1994 with the Chinese ban and again in 1998 with the high capacity import ban ban. Adding a pistol grip is illegal unless you jump through the legal hoops that were put in place to prevent you from even owning the gun in the first place. In simple terms, you can't assemble or configure your MAK90 into a profile would be illegal to import because doing so would be a felony, unless you abide by the Congressional exception clause known as the 10 parts rule.

I hope this clears up the mystery of the legal traps set by the 1968 GCA, Clinton, and several members of Congress during the 1990s to that are meant to stop you from doing what you now wish to do.

Last edited by my762buzz; 02-14-2010 at 15:47..
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 19:34   #17
infiniti0505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
Sounds like it is time for you to move.
Adobt me and I will move lol

98_1LE- thanks for that info, im going to copy you if you dont mind lol. That is exactly the look I want to do. Idk I just cant stand the Blonde wood look, it looks cheesy to me. So this company makes some pretty good furniture for the mak than huh?

my762buzz-Thanks so much for clearing that up. Honestly those laws make absolutely no sense at all. What the hell is the point for all of those laws? It seems as though it is a very suttle move to make it harder for citizens to purchase "assault rifles". Im sorry, but that is just wrong. I hope to God they dont try those bans again.

Old 02-14-2010, 21:42   #18
my762buzz

Quote:
I hope to God they dont try those bans again.

Its senseless BS. The point is to disarm you. Jo Biden already promised several people that they would ban scary guns just as soon as they can get
the door to swing open on that issue. One executive order from Chairman O'
and imports cease. The GCA law is already in place and has been enacted upon by executive priviledge three times before 90, 94, and 98 in the past 20 years. O' just said not long ago that he would rather be a great one term president than a mediocre 2 term president. Anyone want to bet that if O' realizes there is no second term for him he could simply burn the import bridge down and act like he did you a favor by doing just that. There is nothing stopping that from happening but the prospect of a second term.
The scary part is that Joe Biden prides himself in saying he wrote the original
94 assault weapon ban like thats his legacy. With promises like theirs, its not IF its more like WHEN.
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 18:47   #19
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Adopt me and I will move lol
I would be glad to adopt you. As long as this is you in the pic.
The Kalashnikov Klub

Old 02-16-2010, 23:48   #20
infiniti0505

So lets say that does happen again.... do we just sit there and take it?!
Glockdude-LMAO that is not me, I would adopt her in a heartbeat though bahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by my762buzz View Post
Its senseless BS. The point is to disarm you. Jo Biden already promised several people that they would ban scary guns just as soon as they can get
the door to swing open on that issue. One executive order from Chairman O'
and imports cease. The GCA law is already in place and has been enacted upon by executive priviledge three times before 90, 94, and 98 in the past 20 years. O' just said not long ago that he would rather be a great one term president than a mediocre 2 term president. Anyone want to bet that if O' realizes there is no second term for him he could simply burn the import bridge down and act like he did you a favor by doing just that. There is nothing stopping that from happening but the prospect of a second term.
The scary part is that Joe Biden prides himself in saying he wrote the original
94 assault weapon ban like thats his legacy. With promises like theirs, its not IF its more like WHEN.