SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2010, 20:26   #1
CTfam
True Patriot

Calling all Ultimak owners.

I'm looking hard at the Ultimak gas tube for my Saiga .223. After hours of research I've decided that's the best way to mount optics on an AK. Being able to co-witness the irons is a must for me. My end goal would be to pick up an Aimpoint H-1. I may try out a Primary Arms micro just to see if I like the idea of optics on my rifle.

Anyways, do these things hold zero? Ever bump it hard or drop it? The beauty of the AK is that it is built like a tank. I'm not interested in mounting some flimsy, fragile crap on it.

My next concern is cleaning. I don't go crazy on the gas tube but I do pop it off and scrub it out when cleaning. I'm assuming this is a no go once you mount the Ultimak? You would lose your zero right? So how do you folks address the cleaning issue?

Any other thoughts or reviews are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-15-2010, 21:11   #2
flynshoot
N Glock I Trust

In addition to the questions above, I'd like to hear the advantages of each the vented versus unvented mount. Wondering if the vented woud allow to much heat to get to the support hand.
flynshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 22:30   #3
my762buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfam View Post

My next concern is cleaning. I don't go crazy on the gas tube but I do pop it off and scrub it out when cleaning. I'm assuming this is a no go once you mount the Ultimak? You would lose your zero right? So how do you folks address the cleaning issue?
It holds on there just fine when you tighten it down.
Aim point is the only optic I tried and it does cowitness, but maybe not with other red dot sites.
It works well and is well made.

However, cleaning requires passing a brush through the rear site block through the ultimak into the gas block. This alone has turned me off from the ultimak. If someone ever develops basically the same thing but with lock pins that allow temporarily removing the gas tube off of a bolted down base, they might just run ultimak out of business. Cast steel or forged steel would be an improvement over the aluminum version ultimak makes so it would not heat up as fast and could be locked down even tighter due to the better compressive strength of steel over aluminum. If Larue ever made such a beast, I would get a few immediately. As of right now, the texas dog leg sight system looks the most promising to me.
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 22:30   #4
9mm +p+

I've got the UlitiMak gas tube rail on my Arsenal and it's rock solid, cleaning is a breeze. Get yourself a 12 ga. bore brush and scrub out the ulitiMak like you would the barrel, then swab it out with patches. No need to take it on and off. IMO the mount is just as solid at the AK itself, I'd recommend one. I've got an Aimpoint T-1 on deck and it's a shooting combo! As for the vented/unvented my understanding is if your gas tube is vented you use the vented model, if not the unvented. The vents are for whatever the original gas tube is vented for not for cooling.
Here's mine:
The Kalashnikov Klub
Old 02-15-2010, 22:39   #5
CTfam
True Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ View Post
I've got the UlitiMak gas tube rail on my Arsenal and it's rock solid, cleaning is a breeze. Get yourself a 12 ga. bore brush and scrub out the ulitiMak like you would the barrel, then swab it out with patches. No need to take it on and off. IMO the mount is just as solid at the AK itself, I'd recommend one. I've got an Aimpoint T-1 on deck and it's a shooting combo! As for the vented/unvented my understanding is if your gas tube is vented you use the vented model, if not the unvented. The vents are for whatever the original gas tube is vented for not for cooling.
Here's mine:
The Kalashnikov Klub
Sweet AK you got there! Thanks for the info. I'm new to the optics game but I figured what the hell, all the cool kids are doing it. If the Aimpoint is not for me I'm sure I can find a buyer. Like I said, Primary Arms makes a Micro knock off that gets good reviews. For under $100 it's worth a shot. Might help me make up my mind.
Old 02-15-2010, 22:57   #6
space_weazel

Mine has been solid, made shooting easier and more enjoyable, currently running a Konus Red Dot en leu of a Aimpoint. unless you are shooing corrosive the gas tube only needs cleaning occasionally, and now that mine is parkerized aluminum its even more corrosion resistant than before, I just clean it on the gun, it's not even an issue.

You get a vented or non vented as dictated by what your original gas tube was, on a saiga IIRC the tube is not vented.

Gabe Suarez swears by the Ultimak, and he is pretty freakin picky when it comes to the quality and usefulness of gun stuff.

Black Rifle Club #111
space_weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:34   #7
GerryV

I have a vented one on my Saiga 7.62 with a PA Aimpoint clone and it holds zero fine. Also, have had no issues with the vented tube on my Saiga as the gas tube is really nothing more than a guide for the piston. The below video confirms that you'll have no issues with the vents should you like that model better.

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...sTubeMount.flv

Last edited by GerryV; 02-16-2010 at 02:45..
GerryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:37   #8
CTfam
True Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryV View Post
I have a vented one on my Saiga 7.62 with a PA Aimpoint clone and it holds zero fine. Also, have had no issues with the vented tube on my Saiga as the gas tube is really nothing more than a guide for the piston. The below video confirms that you'll have no issues with the vents should you like that model better.

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...sTubeMount.flv
Thanks for the info guys. Hey does that Micro clone co-witness? I've read that they don't quite make it. I heard PA was coming out with a newer generation that will co-witness w/ Ultimak on an AK. Is that model already out? THANKS!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:59   #9
WIG19
Light left on

Have an Ultimak on a hand-picked Romanian that already shot very well. Have played with it for several months now, in all climes, in all temps, from running multiple consecutive mags in the summer, to patrolling in -17F. I was going to put an Aimpoint on it, as that seems to be "the" hot ticket, but they're a bit pricey. I actually found a co-witnessing dot in my local shop which I intended for the top of a Ruger Mk.II pistol, but thought "what the hell."

After the aforementioned months of use & abuse, including some drops, couple of rolls down a hill, jouncing in the truck & the weather vagaries, the whole setup still works great, and the gun will still shoot into a dollar bill at 300m from prone if I do my part.

I think some slight rigidity of the Ultimak itself added to the gun's accuracy. I do not worry overly about cleaning the gas tube, other than some routine brushing/swabbing when doing normal field-strip cleaning. The AK is way over-gassed anyway (which is why they often run when others won't).

The aforementioned dot sight happens to be a Bushnell, a TRS-25 IIRC. 'Bout the size of an Aimpoint and about $400 less. Not bashing Aimpoints, maybe I just got lucky, and I don't mind consciously replacing the battery every few months if needed and I know where the off switch is.

Sam Spade told me awhile back I wouldn't be sorry with an Ultimak and a dot on an otherwise unmodified AK and, as usual, he was right. My aging eyes really appreciate the dot, and the dot itself is small enough for accurate rifle work "out there" as well.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:52   #10
GerryV

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. Hey does that Micro clone co-witness? I've read that they don't quite make it. I heard PA was coming out with a newer generation that will co-witness w/ Ultimak on an AK. Is that model already out? THANKS!

No it does not. It gets real close, but due to the location of the emitter it won't. Supposedly, the Gen 4 units will do it, but Marshal can't seem to get a firm ETA from his manufacturer.
Old 02-16-2010, 16:54   #11
CTfam
True Patriot

Cool. I like what I hear. The Ultimak is not too pricey. I can spend the $100 or so it costs. But the Aimpoint is gonna hurt. I guess I'll wait on the Gen 4 PA micro clones. No word on the release date? I hear they're pretty good.
Old 02-16-2010, 18:18   #12
GerryV

Quote:
Cool. I like what I hear. The Ultimak is not too pricey. I can spend the $100 or so it costs. But the Aimpoint is gonna hurt. I guess I'll wait on the Gen 4 PA micro clones. No word on the release date? I hear they're pretty good.

You can order the Ultimak from Primary Arms for $69...cheapest price that I could find. Just select which mount you want (you don't need to select a riser).

http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=303
Old 02-16-2010, 20:54   #13
fivestar

I have a WASR -10 AK. I've recently mounted an Ultimak with a Primary Arms Micro Dot Gen 2 and love it. The addition of the red dot has made the gun far more enjoyable to shoot. Since adding this set up, I've shot around 400 rounds thru it. I've cleaned the barrel and receiver once, but not the Ultimak specifically. I see no need to remove it though even if I decide to clean it. I can't really say if it's made the gun more accurate or not, but I can say that once the sight was zeroed, it's right on. It'll hit whatever the dot is on. I never really liked the stock AK sights much, so prior to this it didn't get shot a whole lot. As mentioned earlier, it comes very close to cowitness. I suppose if you concentrated you can shoot it as such, but another sight might be better for a true cowitness. All in all, I'm very happy with my set up, and has made my AK much more enjoyable to shoot.
fivestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 00:02   #14
space_weazel

Mine with the Konus Dot co-witnesses but just barely, I can line up the sights with the front post high and slid it down, and I can just barely see over the emitter. Tho as I said eventually I'll get an aimpoint.

Black Rifle Club #111
space_weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 22:50   #15
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryV View Post
You can order the Ultimak from Primary Arms for $69...cheapest price that I could find. Just select which mount you want (you don't need to select a riser).

http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=303
Does it bother anyone else that they don't have any non-blems?
Old 02-18-2010, 23:14   #16
GerryV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Does it bother anyone else that they don't have any non-blems?

Without trying to sound like I'm on the payroll, the blemished units were from their last order where the manufacturer drilled some hole a little too deep. On page 6 of the below link (3rd post from the bottom) they start discussing the blemished units.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=173866&page=6

As you can see in the above link, PA posted about the issue and stood behind the product rather than just taking people's money. Again, not trying to sound like the ultimate PA fanboy, but it's really nice when you can find a low cost product that actually isn't a waste of money.

P.S. I've transferred my $59 blemished unit over to my Saiga 12 and have over 500 rounds of 00 and slugs put through it and it still holds zero fine. Will be picking up one of the Gen 4 units when they come out as they are supposedly going to truly co-witness on an Ulimak.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:26   #17
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

GerryV, thanks for the link. Now I understand what is going on. These should be great for any non-SHTF, critical event rifles. AND they would even work for people who live in dry climates.
Old 02-19-2010, 16:08   #18
batoncolle

I have Ultimak/T-1 combo, and it has been flawless through several training classes. I would give serious consideration to the Bushnell TRS-25. There is a good thread on the TRS-25 in the AR15.com AK optics section, and it has gotten very good reviews. It has a very good battery life, and it has stood up well to the heat of the Ultimak.
Old 02-21-2010, 22:02   #19
goodale

ultimak/ aimpoint combo rocks and is the only way to go. i want to get a micro someday but right now i run a aimpoint comp c3 with the aimpoint factory low mount that comes with it (one of the few aimpoints that comes with a mount) and it co-witnesses perfect. you can score them for $375 if you shop around. there is a pic of one mounted to a amd65 on ultimaks website. do it!
goodale is offline   Reply With Quote