SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2010, 21:58   #1
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

Chinese AKs

I don't feel my Chinese database may be 100% accurate, so please let me know of any errors or additional information.

The Chinese AKMs use thicker 1.5mm receivers and they must have really liked the AK-47 because they kept the AK-47 front end and smooth receiver covers on their AKMs. Chinese AKs have also used AK-47 and AKM bayonets and their own permanently attached spike bayonets. Chinese AKs may also with hooded or unhooded FSBs. Some Chinese AKs have threaded barrels, and some don’t. Really, it’s a smorgasbord. As far as I know, all Chinese AKs have only an 800m sight too.

Chinese AKs were manufactured at one of several different factories and exported by either Polytech or Norinco, depending on their factory of origin. The Polytech serial numbers reveal the factory that built the gun and the original configuration:
PW: Factory 416 Wood stock
PF: Factory 416 Underfolder
PS: Factory 416 Sidefolder
CW: Factory 386 Wood stock
CF: Factory 386 Underfolder
CS: Factory 386 Sidefolder

Polytech also supplied the Legend series which are incredibly nice milled AK-47s, and they were made as either fixed stock, or underfolders. Other Chinese factory stamps include 26, 36 (two styles) and 66.

Let’s take a look at some of the Chinese AK. Most of these photos are from Chicom47.net.
Polytech Legend fixed stock. The Legend series used the AK-47’s Type-1 bayonet.
The Kalashnikov Klub
Polytech Legend underfolder
The Kalashnikov Klub
Polytech 56S-1 fixed stock with the spike bayonet.
The Kalashnikov Klub
And the 56S-1 double underfolder with the spike bayonet
The Kalashnikov Klub

Last edited by CarlosC; 02-15-2010 at 22:07..
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 21:58   #2
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

Here is the Polytech 56S-2. This is very similar to the Norinco model, except for the pistol grip.
The Kalashnikov Klub

The super-rare 56-2 with the Galil folding stock.
The Kalashnikov Klub

Now for the Norinco guns. First is the Norinco Type 56S-1 fixed stock. Both this model and the underfolder use the Type 3 style bayonet.
The Kalashnikov Klub

And the Type 56S-1 underfolder.
The Kalashnikov Klub

Here is a Norinco 56S-1 underfolder with the bayonet.
The Kalashnikov Klub
Old 02-15-2010, 21:59   #3
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

More Norincos…The Type 56S-2.
The Kalashnikov Klub

And the Type 56S-3.
The Kalashnikov Klub

What’s a MAK-90? A MAK-90 is nothing more than a Chinese Modified AK, of 1990. Basically, they are Chinese AKs that were imported during the ban. Some of the rifles were even in warehouses when the ban was enacted and had to be modified to be released. MAK-90s are made with either stamped or milled receivers, either straight cut or angled. Here is a picture of the two types of MAK-90 receivers. Most of these pics are from http://home.comcast.net/~jfreeman16/page_2.htm
The Kalashnikov Klub

As part of the ban agreement, all the evil features on these rifles were removed so they could be imported as “Sporters”. The original pistol grips and cool stock were replaced with a thumbhole stock. If the rifles had bayonet lugs, they were ground off. If they had folding spike bayonets, those were ground off as well. Muzzle threads were usually ground off, although I have seen some that escaped the grinder and some that had caps welded on the muzzles. After all the neutering, this is what was left.
The Kalashnikov Klub

The underfolders didn’t escape the neutering either. They had their folding assemblies removed and plates riveted in their place.
The Kalashnikov Klub

Last edited by CarlosC; 02-15-2010 at 22:02..
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:04   #4
jehu

Thankyou Carlos for that very informative post. I have 9 Chinese prebans and two converted Mak 90's. The only Chicoms I've ever seen with nonhooded sights are the Polytech Legends which I've read were made to be as close to a Russian milled AK as the Chinese could make for the American commerial market. That being said anything is possible on a Chicom AK.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:21   #5
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Old 02-16-2010, 11:55   #6
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Most Poly Tech AK's have chrome lined gas blocks (gas chambers) and most Norinco AK's do not. Most Poly Tech AK magazines have chrome followers and most Norincos do not. When American ammunition companies first starting making 7.62x39 ammunition there were no SAAMI standards and some companies used thin small rifle primers and some companies used thicker large rifle primers. Poly Tech started using spring loaded firing pins in most of their AK's after a certain date but not all of them had them even after that date.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 16:29   #7
Broncbuster
Dying Breed

Carlos, thanks for all the info-- very informative. Do you have any pictures of a MAK90 in original configuration? Or is it a MAK90 after the mods?
Broncbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 16:42   #8
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

A MAK-90 in its original configuration would have looked like a pre-ban rifle. It is a MAK-90 after the compliance mods.
Old 02-16-2010, 19:25   #9
adamg01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post
A MAK-90 in its original configuration would have looked like a pre-ban rifle. It is a MAK-90 after the compliance mods.
My Mak90 still have the threads on the barrel.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 20:54   #10
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg01 View Post
My Mak90 still have the threads on the barrel.
I know, that's why I had written this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post

Muzzle threads were usually ground off, although I have seen some that escaped the grinder
Old 02-16-2010, 21:27   #11
my762buzz

By the way, since you got a chinese AK thread I figured this might be useful.

If anyone should ever want to know, avoid the third hole models that are contraban. I knew someone that had got one years ago and had to return it right away. The ATF is still looking for these and therefore these are worthless other than a parts kit once the receiver is torched. If I recall correctly, only (post 1990) MAK90s had this issue come about.

The Kalashnikov Klub

The Kalashnikov Klub

Oddly this also happened with the saigas a while back. But I think far more Chinese MAK90s made it through
with the third hole.

The Kalashnikov Klub

Last edited by my762buzz; 02-16-2010 at 21:36..
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:09   #12
Young Once

I have a Chinese type 56-2. However, there are no markings other that the encircled no. 313 beside the number 56-2. Can anyone tell me if this is a Norinco or a Polytech or from what arsenal it came from? TIA.
Young Once is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:15   #13
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Once View Post
I have a Chinese type 56-2. However, there are no markings other that the encircled no. 313 beside the number 56-2. Can anyone tell me if this is a Norinco or a Polytech or from what arsenal it came from? TIA.
Poly Tech was a company formed by a group of Chinese officials for their own profit. They took over factory 386. Later, they may have been in legal trouble, Poly Tech was merged into the state owned company Norinco and Norinco took over factory 386.

Factory 313 Chinese AK's were only once imported into the US by a company in New York. they had the third axis pin that is illegal to import into the US and all factory 313 Chinese AK's were declared illegal in the US. That is why there is not much information about them. some factory 313 AK's have L-D selector markings and some factory 313 AK's have Chinese selector markings. They are made by Norinco but not all Norinco Ak's say "Norinco" on them.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:54   #14
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Factory 313 Chinese 56-2 AK.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kalashnikov Klub - Click for larger version  
Old 02-19-2010, 14:43   #15
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Man, I remembered when those sidefolding ChiComs were going for like $250 a pop and Keng's was the main importer/distributor.
Old 02-19-2010, 14:53   #16
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Man, I remembered when those sidefolding ChiComs were going for like $250 a pop and Keng's was the main importer/distributor.

Where is Doc Brown's time machine..........
Old 02-19-2010, 15:14   #17
sgtglock

Don't forget the Norinco 84s in .223
I think this one was around $225 in 1988.
The Kalashnikov Klub
sgtglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 15:40   #18
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtglock View Post
Don't forget the Norinco 84s in .223
I think this one was around $225 in 1988.
The Kalashnikov Klub
Poly Tech made some 223 AK's. The Norinco 223 AK's has the magazine mounted low to clear the standard 7.62x39 bolt carrier. In order to feed a smaller diameter round from the lowered magazine the 223 Norinco bolt has an extended feed lug on it's bottom side. Due to this extended bolt lug a bullet guide can't be used so the magazine is designed to feed without a bullet guide and does very good job. Poly Tech wanted to use a Valmet/Galil type magazine. The problem was with the magazine positioned lower to clear the bolt carrier it didn't feed reliably. Poly Tech redesigned the magazine follower one time trying to fix the problem but the problem was never solved. The very last shipment of Poly Tech 223 AK's are suppose to have the Norinco type magazine. The two magazine types are not interchangeable.

Last edited by GIockGuy24; 02-19-2010 at 15:43..
Old 02-20-2010, 11:03   #19
Young Once

Thanks for the info, Sir GlockGuy24. That is exactly the markings on my AK. Mine has the L-D selector markings. Thank you so much!
Young Once is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 00:38   #20
DJ Niner

Bump.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote