Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2010, 22:16   #1
ecmills
I shoot guns.

VIDEO: 95 Second IDPA Classifier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-F7XkqnDNA

95.89 with 43 down.

Missed three shots. (One head on stage 1, two more mikes on stage 3). I've also been shooting at 5-10 yards all winter long at indoor IPDA matches, and dropped a crap-ton of points on stage 3. My 20+yd shooting bringeth the suck.

And my reload needs work. Been neglecting dryfire, and there's about a half-second in there that needs trimmed back out.

But it was fun to shoot the classifier with the M&P, mostly just for fun.

It's not impossible to reach the slide stop
ecmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 14:36   #2
ambluemax

See, see...lefties have skills too!!! Wish I had skills

I dropped a ton of points on my stage 3 on my last classifier...nice to know its still possible to make master even if the groups spread a little

Last edited by ambluemax; 02-16-2010 at 14:40..
ambluemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 20:39   #3
9x45

ec, it looks cold, and muddy, yuck. I once ran Michael Voigt at 71 seconds and change, 2 or 3 down, but he was pissed because he heard that Robbie ran it in 66 and change. No big deal, I have shot it in 59 seconds, but with about 100 points down... I think Stage 1 is a great way to drop points, and Stage 3 is a good way to pick them up.
9x45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 22:28   #4
jhayesvw

is that long i see.
any reason youre shooting the MP9 and not the glock?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:33   #5
HK Dan

NICE Mills!!!
HK Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 23:06   #6
ecmills
I shoot guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambluemax View Post
...nice to know its still possible to make master even if the groups spread a little
Yeah, the one thing I was encouraged about was that I still had breathing room while throwing away 21.5 seconds with dropped shots. Last time I shot the classifier, I barely made master with only 12 points down.

I can definitely shoot faster than I could last year before the wheels start to come off. Just pushed too hard in a couple of spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x45 View Post
ec, it looks cold, and muddy, yuck. I once ran Michael Voigt at 71 seconds and change, 2 or 3 down, but he was pissed because he heard that Robbie ran it in 66 and change. No big deal, I have shot it in 59 seconds, but with about 100 points down... I think Stage 1 is a great way to drop points, and Stage 3 is a good way to pick them up.
Dopped points on stage 1? I usually shoot that about six points down as long as I can stay off the damn gas pedal when trasitioning to the head on strings 1-3. Stage three is where I need to really watch myself with points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesvw View Post
is that long i see.
any reason youre shooting the MP9 and not the glock?
It's a better gun. Sure, I'm talking smack, and there's nothing wrong with the Glock. But I do believe the M&P is just... better.

(That said, it's not as reliable as the Glock. Not oversprung nearly as much.)

It's also truly ambidextrous, and I'm lefthanded. Reloads are not any faster, but they are more consistent: I no longer shift my strong hand grip at all, whereas the Glock required me to change my grip three times during the load.

Old 02-19-2010, 20:19   #7
jhayesvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmills View Post

It's a better gun. Sure, I'm talking smack, and there's nothing wrong with the Glock. But I do believe the M&P is just... better.

(That said, it's not as reliable as the Glock. Not oversprung nearly as much.)

It's also truly ambidextrous, and I'm lefthanded. Reloads are not any faster, but they are more consistent: I no longer shift my strong hand grip at all, whereas the Glock required me to change my grip three times during the load.

how is it better?
trigger, grip angle, weight?
those are the only 3 things i can think of off the top of my head that are different in the 2 guns (at face value).
Old 02-19-2010, 20:30   #8
ecmills
I shoot guns.

None of that.

How is a Ferrari versus a Porsche versus a Corvette ZR1 compared, if they all ran similar lap times at the same road race?

I just like the way the M&P handles at speed more. I find it easier to shoot fast.

I don't really have any words to describe it. *shrug*

Old 02-20-2010, 13:22   #9
jhayesvw

so the M&P is faster for you. gotcha.

may not be faster for someone else, or it will be faster for anyone else in your opinion?
there must be something that makes it faster, or its a combination of the things i listed above.
great gun IMO too. i had a hard time deciding on a G17 or a M&P fullsize 9mm.
i chose the 17, but would have been just as happy with the M&P i think.

PICS!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 22:08   #10
ecmills
I shoot guns.

I believe the M&P is a better gun, I really do. Once you get it set up right and find a load that plays nice with it.

But I'm also certain it will be a very long time before the gun is holding you back. Shoot the hell out of what you have and don't worry about it.

I can boast about the wonders of the M&P all day long, but Sevigny and Vogel could still show up at my next match and beat me by 30 seconds. Equipment is secondary, skill and time spent in practice are vastly more important.

Old 02-20-2010, 22:37   #11
jhayesvw

yeah, each person is different.
skills are similar though.

a great shooter will shoot great with whatever gun they have.
but yeah. sevigny sure shoots the Glock fast.
definitely not holding me back.
i like it.
USPSA is my thing right now. the IDPA rules make shooting a bit contrived and cumbersome to me.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:28   #12
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmills View Post
I believe the M&P is a better gun, I really do. Once you get it set up right and find a load that plays nice with it.
Hey Mills Great Job! What mods do you have on your M&P? Is that a Pro or service? What did you have to change in your loads to get the gun to run better? Hotter, longer, lighter bullet weight?
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:59   #13
ecmills
I shoot guns.

It's an M&P9L

SSS fitted exctractor
13lb ISMI recoil spring for a Glock34
D.I.Y. trigger job - 3.5lb, clean break, no springs changed. Just work on the sear and polishing.

That's pretty much it for mods.

It likes short ammo. 147gr Precision Delta FMJs start choking it at more than 1.125" OAL very consistently. I'm currently loading a PD FMJ 124gr at 1.115"-1.120" and it eats it perfectly.

Couldn't get it to run at first (SEVEN failures to extract in a 6-stage Steel Challenge match!) but it just went 1,000 rounds without any cleaning or oil, and zero malfunctions.

My first batch of 124gr with 4.0 Solo1000 was a whopping 122 power factor. And it locked open weak-hand-only every single time. Very happy with it now. I cerakoted the slide, and I think I needed about a thousand rounds through the gun to really break it in and wear the paint out of the slide grooves, extractor cutout, and the like.