SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2010, 15:49   #1
drc767
Navy CSAR

D&V Custom Colt 38 Super is done!

I got an email from Dave Helton today telling me he is done with my 38 Super Colt project. He still needs to test fire it and make any final adjustments, so it should be on its way back to me next week some time. It looks pretty good.....Am very curious to see the final product. Here is a list of what I had done, and the pics he sent me of the finished product. Looks like it should be a pretty cool ccw.

Machine Slide and Install ether Heinie or Novak Tritium Sights
Lower and Flair Ejection Port and Bevel Lower Inside Edge
Ed Brown Extended Ejector Installed
Machine Frame and install Ed Brown Memory Groove Grip Saftey
Wilson Narrow Extended Thumb Safety Installed
EGW Hammer, Sear, Disconnector installed with pull at 3.5lbs
Ed Brown Aluminum Match Trigger
Ed Brown Flat Checkered Main Spring Housing
Kart National Match Barrel and Bushing Fitted to Slide
Ed Brown Extended Magazine Release
Front Grip Strap Checkered 25 LPI with Ball Cut Top Border.
Complete Reliability Tune up
Install New Recoil Spring, Main Spring and Firing Pin Spring
Carry Dehorn of all sharp edges
McCormick Exotic Rose Wood Grips
Finished in Satin Black Ten Ring Polymer Coating

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by drc767; 02-17-2010 at 15:52..
drc767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 16:03   #2
bac1023

Looks nice.

They do some nice work and have a few models for sale on GB. Prices aren't bad either.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 16:07   #3
drc767
Navy CSAR

Bac, this is my first pistol from Dave. I have heard very postive feedback on him and your right, he has very reasonable pricing and pretty decent turnaround times. Although this is nowhere near a full custom deal, there are some pretty nice components put into this build. I am very interested to see the final product.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-17-2010, 16:08   #4
Tactical black

Congrats it turned out nice
Tactical black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 17:43   #5
Wade-19

Dave did a Kimber ProCarry for me a few months ago. His work is excellent and very reasonable .
Old 02-17-2010, 18:19   #6
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade-19 View Post
Dave did a Kimber ProCarry for me a few months ago. His work is excellent and very reasonable .
Good to hear.
Old 02-17-2010, 19:23   #7
ronin.45

Lookin' good. Congrats.
Old 02-17-2010, 20:17   #8
jeremy stanke

Send a message via AIM to jeremy stanke
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc767 View Post
Here is a list of what I had done

Ed Brown Flat Checkered Main Spring Housing
Front Grip Strap Checkered 25 LPI with Ball Cut Top Border.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums
??? that doesnt look like 25lpi checkering or a flat MSH
jeremy stanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 21:10   #9
Don-wayne

drc
Congrats on a nice build. Dave has done some work on my guns and the results are always excellent. Let us know what you think when you have it in hand.

Bac
I think you should buy one of his guns off gb and give us your thoughts.
Don-wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 23:07   #10
drc767
Navy CSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy stanke View Post
??? that doesnt look like 25lpi checkering or a flat MSH
Good catch....I copied and pasted the normal Custom Pkg description from Dave's webpage. Obviously, I made a couple changes.....

Old 02-17-2010, 23:16   #11
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-wayne View Post
Bac
I think you should buy one of his guns off gb and give us your thoughts.

I may at some point.

I was looking at this one for a long while, but I don't think I can do the OD color scheme.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=157004795

That said, the price looks nice for what you get and it looks well fitted.
Old 02-17-2010, 23:33   #12
drc767
Navy CSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post

I may at some point.

I was looking at this one for a long while, but I don't think I can do the OD color scheme.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=157004795

That said, the price looks nice for what you get and it looks well fitted.
I talked to Dave about this exact pistol. It was built for a customer that put down a deposit and backed out of the deal after it was built. Dave worked out a deal with the customer on the deposit that is allowing him to sell this pistol for such a good price. I would have been all over it, but like Bac, I am not an OD guy. If this pistol was black, it would be sitting in my safe right now. It is a hell of a price for what you get and Dave said it went together extremely well....

Old 02-17-2010, 23:46   #13
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc767 View Post
I talked to Dave about this exact pistol. It was built for a customer that put down a deposit and backed out of the deal after it was built. Dave worked out a deal with the customer on the deposit that is allowing him to sell this pistol for such a good price. I would have been all over it, but like Bac, I am not an OD guy. If this pistol was black, it would be sitting in my safe right now. It is a hell of a price for what you get and Dave said it went together extremely well....
Yeah, its a shame.

The OD kills it.

I can somewhat tolerate OD on, say, a polymer frame (though I prefer black), but a 1911 in OD is brutal. Believe me, I pondered it for a while, because its such a nice gun otherwise.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:33   #14
Don-wayne

I bet Dave would refinish it for a small fee to sell it. Call him hes a good guy to deal with.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:50   #15
bac1023

Quote:
I bet Dave would refinish it for a small fee to sell it. Call him hes a good guy to deal with.
Not a bad idea.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:34   #16
drc767
Navy CSAR

Update....I got the Colt from Dave today. I am very impressed with the work he did on this pistol. The slide to frame fit was snugged up, the ramped Kart barrel fit/lockup is excellent, the barrel bushing is tight and currently needs a little motivation with a bushing wrench, but I think it will loosen up a bit with some shooting. The finish is outstanding and the snakeskin front and rear strap work is very well done. I am going to try and get some rounds through it today. I have some of the new DoubleTap 147g Gold Dot ammo that I am very curious to try out. Because of the longer OAL, they will not work with my Wilson Professional, I am curious if they will work with the Colt. If not, I guess I will have to stick with 124g loadings for carry. I will update after I shoot it. So far I am very impressed with Dave's work and his pricing is very reasonable. So far so good!

Old 02-25-2010, 16:03   #17
Don-wayne

Glad to hear it. Let us know how she shoots.
Old 02-25-2010, 17:50   #18
drc767
Navy CSAR

Quote:
Glad to hear it. Let us know how she shoots.
It shoots excellent, although it does not like the DoubleTap 147g GD loads. It has the same problem that my Wilson does with this load....the OAL is too long and the nose of the round hits the ramp before it clears the mag lip and does not feed. I believe this is an ammo issue and I will call DT about this. It does the same thing on both of my ramped barreled 38 Supers. The 124g Gold Dot handloads fed and shot perfect (200 rounds) and the ball ammo also fed without any problems (100 rounds). Accuracy is excellent and it is a very comfortable pistol to shoot. I am very happy with it.

Old 02-25-2010, 18:23   #19
xx78

That's a fine looking Colt. Congrats.
xx78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 22:50   #20
jeremy stanke

Send a message via AIM to jeremy stanke
what would you compare the finish to? im not sure if i want him to refinish mine or if i want to send it to someone else for refinishing
jeremy stanke is offline   Reply With Quote