SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-18-2010, 00:57   #1
johns9761
New Glock Fan!!

Tanto VS. Spear Point For My EDC Knife

I've been switching out between a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Folder, and a Kershaw Blackout. But they're just not working out for me.

I'm really want to get a folder that will allow me to carry tip-up. I'm a little short on money so I need something affordable. I've found a couple of decent buys online. First is a Spyderco Tenacious (http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/spyderc...ratededge.aspx). Second is a 5.11 Ten-Eight Tanto (http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-tact...nto-knife.html).

So...what I really need to know is what is the significant difference between the spear point and the tanto???

Also, some ideas on good knives for about $50 would be nice.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:01   #2
Elvis Lives

i am wondering what the differences practically are as well. good and bad for each.
Elvis Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:03   #3
dontshakepandas

First I'll say that I've heard really good things about the Spyderco Tenacious. I would also look at the Kershaw line for a good value.

As for the difference in a tanto vs spearpoint it is pretty much personal preference. The tanto will hold up better to stabbing rough materials. The spearpoint will have be better for every day cutting purposes and will be a bit easier to sharpen.
dontshakepandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:19   #4
polizei1
It WAS Quack

Send a message via AIM to polizei1
I currently EDC a S&W Extreme Ops, but my new Benchmade 9500 should be here tomorrow. The S&W is a spearpoint, the benchmade is a Tanto, so I cannot comment on which I like more yet, I can say that I've heard exactly what dontshakepandas has said. I recall a video from a manufacturer that basically said the tanto is good for piercing rough material.

I would vouch to say that it probably doesn't matter much. Just carry what you like. It's like the serrations/plain edge debate. Some people like them, others don't.

-Cody
polizei1 is offline   Reply With Quote