Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:11   #1
pangloss9

value of strobe function on a weapon light?

I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on having a weapon light with the strobe function to be placed on a home defense gun. Would the strobe really be much benefit? Thanks.
pangloss9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:54   #2
KDawg0007

I imagine it would be quite disorienting. It sucks to look at a bright light let alone at one that is in strobe function. I'm happy with a bright fenix or surefire though.
Old 02-18-2010, 13:53   #3
deadday

Ask your wife to turn it on strobe and shine it in your eyes...
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 14:05   #4
cmoore04

Bad idea

Personally, I want to see what I am aiming at. The strobe will affect you in addition to the suspect. I recommend you try it, and see how it affects you.

When you have someone at gunpoint the time for disorenting tactics has passed, and it is a deadly force situation. I want to see their movemnt as clearly as possible. If you are under a strobe light in a dark room can you see and react to them reaching into their waistband, grabbing a weapon from the table, moving to attack, moving to flee, .....??
cmoore04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 15:57   #5
pangloss9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadday View Post
Ask your wife to turn it on strobe and shine it in your eyes...
I have to make the decision to buy one first, but I think that it will be disorienting.

As cmoore04 pointed out, everything has a cost. After thinking about it, if I was really expecting to have to shoot some one, I don't think I'd want the strobe. But it seems like I'd be less likely to have to shoot if the strobe really helps mix them up a bit. Unfortunately, I don't think there's ayway to know in advance which would be better. And really it'd probably have different effects on different people.
Old 02-18-2010, 16:38   #6
RayB
Retired Member

I have the Insight XTI Procyon.

To be on the receiving end of the strobe, especially the first time, with dark-adapted eyes, is quite disorienting!

From the shooter’s point of view, the subject is plainly visible in the strobe mode, and the light is timed fast enough so that the subject’s movements are easily followed.

If the strobe would panic the subject into running (or freezing), so much the better.

The strobe is just another feature, and one you’d best practice with to use competently!

In choosing between the SureFire X200B or X300, and the Insight XTI Procyon or WX150, I’d have to say the SureFire is still the best of the two. The strobe function, though nice, is not a deal maker for me. But the $100.00 price difference is hard to ignore! Streamlight makes one hell of a product!

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 17:11   #7
pangloss9

Thanks, RayB. Your comments are very helpful.
Old 02-18-2010, 17:17   #8
G19aps

I had a Quark with a strobe and messed with it some, decided I didn't like it. Don't forget the easier the interface you have with the light the better. Extra buttons, squeeze/press sequences, etc will just screw you up. A 100+ lumen light puts out more than enough to disorient when shined in the eyes.
G19aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 17:20   #9
glock19_fan
... --- ...

Better to have it, not need it, than need it, and not have it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
:-)

Read
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
!!!
glock19_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 17:22   #10
hi480volts

I don't know how many of you have the Outdoor Channel but on Wednesday night at 9 The Best Defense is on and those two guys really advocate using a tactical strobe to your advantage. It also appears really obvious to me that those two guys could wear you out up in a self defense situation. Good show worth watching.
hi480volts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 17:26   #11
Doc Holliday
CLM Number 24
Charter Lifetime Member

Sights, Optics and Lasers

"As for me and my house, we will continue to use the 2nd Gen Glocks"

This invisible text is also brought to you by SKYY Vodka.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 19:07   #12
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Sights, Optics and Lasers
I take your point, but the human eye-brain doesn't see like a camera sees, whether using film or a CCD to capture an image.

Like I said, the Procyon's strobe is timed quickly enough to avoid the jittery image(s) of a night club strobe.

Still, I don't necessarily disagree with the notion that too many doodads on a gizmo could be counterproductive. That's why practice drills are essential. Practiced motor skills must become reflexive.

--Ray
Old 02-18-2010, 19:13   #13
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi480volts View Post
I don't know how many of you have the Outdoor Channel but on Wednesday night at 9 The Best Defense is on and those two guys really advocate using a tactical strobe to your advantage. It also appears really obvious to me that those two guys could wear you out up in a self defense situation. Good show worth watching.

I've seen pictures of a new light-powered weapon for LEO and military use.

It's designed to fend off aggressive perps with irritating pulses of light.

--Ray
Old 02-18-2010, 19:20   #14
j-glock22

I think if you use the strobe, you're gonna be affected by it too, and may be to your disadvantage when milliseconds count...
j-glock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 20:43   #15
texas 48
Gold Membership
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-glock22 View Post
I think if you use the strobe, you're gonna be affected by it too, and may be to your disadvantage when milliseconds count...
I have a defensive flashlight with a strobe on it. I can tell you that if you are facing the stobe it can be disorienting and the 1st reaction is to look away. This can give you the edge in a confronta
tion. Holding the light does not distract me. In addition I have a laser on all my Glocks. The combination of the two gives me a definite night time edge.

Last edited by texas 48; 02-18-2010 at 20:45..
texas 48 is offline   Reply With Quote