SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-25-2010, 16:23   #1
Magnum 357

Need an expert to clarify something.

Let's clarify something:

1) Squib: bullet does NOT go out, entire cartridge stays in.

2) Hang-fire: Bullet is fired but has a delay.

In the case of the Squib, if you rack the slide, it seems to me the pistol will not fire and you will have a type 3 malfunction if the cartridge is not ejected. Am I right on this?
Again, you are going to have a doble feed the slide will not close and the gun will not fire and you have a type 3 malfunction.
Si vis pacem para bellum
Magnum 357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 17:03   #2
degoodman
Out of Columbus

Send a message via AIM to degoodman
Not necesarily.

The primer alone can often propel the bullet far enough down the barrel to allow a subsequent round to be chambered and fired normally, with possible catestrophic results.

If you're in a gunfight, unless you have another gun you take your chances at shooting out the stuck bullet and keep fighting (Glocks and HK's are RUMORED to have the toughness to do this without catestrophic damage. Note that I said RUMORED not PROVEN).

On the range, any time you hear a pop and not a bang, you stop, clear the weapon, and check the barrel for obstructions before continuing. Just because a round chambers doen't mean all is well.
degoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 17:58   #3
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by degoodman View Post
Not necesarily.

The primer alone can often propel the bullet far enough down the barrel to allow a subsequent round to be chambered and fired normally, with possible catestrophic results.

If you're in a gunfight, unless you have another gun you take your chances at shooting out the stuck bullet and keep fighting (Glocks and HK's are RUMORED to have the toughness to do this without catestrophic damage. Note that I said RUMORED not PROVEN).

On the range, any time you hear a pop and not a bang, you stop, clear the weapon, and check the barrel for obstructions before continuing. Just because a round chambers doen't mean all is well.
Listen to this man, he's an expert.

Seriously, he's right.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 19:04   #4
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum 357 View Post
Let's clarify something:

1) Squib: bullet does NOT go out, entire cartridge stays in.

2) Hang-fire: Bullet is fired but has a delay.

In the case of the Squib, if you rack the slide, it seems to me the pistol will not fire and you will have a type 3 malfunction if the cartridge is not ejected. Am I right on this?
Again, you are going to have a double feed the slide will not close and the gun will not fire and you have a type 3 malfunction.

I am not an expert.

According to the NRA civilian side of things,

1. A "squib load" is one wherein enough pressure was not developed to either separate the bullet from the casing, or enough to propel the bullet entirely down the length of the barrel, or to propel the bullet towards your intended target at normal velocity. A ruptured case could easily cause a squib load, as enough pressure might not build up for the bullet to perform as designed. I cannot comment as to racking the slide. A whole bunch of things can happen with a squib load, as I have outlined above. The gun could be locked up, the action of the gun could have cycled normally, you can have a failure to extract or eject (but not load or fire...) etc.
  2. Your understanding of a hang fire is correct, where there is some perceptible delay between the ignition of the (gun) powder, and enough build up of pressure to send the bullet on it's merry way. There is a gray area between squib loads and hang fires, where in some folks might classify one instance as the former, and someone else might call that condition the latter. The important thing (as Degoodman succinctly underscores) is to understand what is happening to your firearm, and take appropriate action to remedy the issue.
Regards,
'Drew
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 20:39   #5
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

See: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...ighlight=squib
Old 02-27-2010, 15:49   #6
Blaster
Hunc tu caveto

Quote:
Originally Posted by degoodman View Post

Also one must be mentally aware that in a life or death situation, i.e. a gunfight you may experience diminished hearing. A process defined as auditory exclusion can lead one to believe that your gun is not functioning properly. If you have mentally prepared yourself for this possibility you will be prepared.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote