Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:34   #1
JBJ16

Robust shotgun question.

For those who own and have a fair amount of use of these guns (in personal defense flavor). . which do you think will take the most use/abuse and still continue ticking?

Remington 870
Ithaca 37
Mossberg 590

I ask 'cause I don't own any . . . .
Old 03-03-2010, 07:46   #2
Ljay
Micky's Packin

I dont think you can get any more track proven than the 870, I have heard the I-37 can be a little temperamental sometimes on the fast pumping, Had one yrs ago and never no problems,,
I don't think you can do wrong on any one of the 3 mentioned
Ljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:48   #3
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJ16 View Post
For those who own and have a fair amount of use of these guns (in personal defense flavor). . which do you think will take the most use/abuse and still continue ticking?

Remington 870
Ithaca 37
Mossberg 590

I ask 'cause I don't own any . . . .
Kinda like asking which will hold up longer
Ford
Chevy
International Harvester

All kidding aside. . . . Remington 870.
(That's why I own several of 'em!!)

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; 03-03-2010 at 07:51..
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 14:21   #4
aippi

You can see hundreds of these threads and it has been beat to death with thousands of guys posting personal opinions and some answers based on facts.

IF you were to take each model and break it down to the basic components and lay them out on table and inspect each and look for these questions.

Which model has the fewest parts and the parts that appear to be the better made ones as this is critical for a defense weapon as Mr. Murphy has less to mess with?

Which model as the best build componets that interact in the design in the most effect way?

Which model appears to be the easiest to work on or to replace a component as this is critical for a defense weapon that may have to serve you in a time when going to gun smith or even getting parts is not an option due to natural or civil disorders?

Which model has the best track record of professional use

Which model has the most options for serving as a multi-purpose gun? This means accessories such as barrel, stocks and other features.

My answer, Remington 870

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 14:40   #5
lawndart98

I'd go with the 870.
Old 03-03-2010, 14:55   #6
mixflip

Remington 870's malfunctioning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XH71...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1OBrUbGXP4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFzI5GkQTTo&NR=1

Mossbergs malfunctioning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyvAp2_PSBg This one is operator induced but funny as hell

Dont just buy on blind faith. Dont assume the features on a Remington 870 will be the best fit for you. I admit the 870 is at the top of my must have list but they dont come from the factory with features other shotguns have that I really like. 870's dont come with a chrome lined barrel, a magazine stop button to swap in slugs and oversized safety button and recoil reducing stocks and built in sling studs or an option to not have that dang spring loaded loading gate that pinches fingers from time to time. You have to buy all these things aftermarket usually, while like say, a Benelli SuperNova comes with all these features.

For a newer shotgun owner you cant go wrong with a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. They are affordable, battle tested rugged, parts are readily available and aftermarket upgrades are abundant. I cant say that about my Benelli but hey, you have to learn whats best for you by doing your homework.

I bought a Benelli only because I have already passed my basic 870 and 500 phase (owned and/or was issued both in the last 20 years) and was ready to spend a few bucks more for features I have learned to like over the years. Plus the receiver (which is covered in a polymer armor like a Glock mag) is the most robust and rugged shotgun design out there right now. Yes even more tough than a parkerized Mossberg 590A1. In my opinion anyway. Its kinda like a Glock mag and a Magpul Pmag wrapped around a Benelli receiver.

Last edited by mixflip; 03-03-2010 at 15:05..
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 15:51   #7
Line Rider

+1 870 Remington
Old 03-03-2010, 16:22   #8
Jay S.

Either one would do you just fine. Handle all of them and do what aippi said - ask yourself some questions about each model based on your needs. Weigh the pros and cons of each and make a decision. The best part is that if after a while of ownership you think you might have made the wrong choice, you can buy a different one.
Jay S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 17:07   #9
mitchshrader
Deceased

The milspec mossy is the 590A1. There's an 870 variant that's also milspec, not sure which exact nomenclature. Not fair to compare those to any NON mil-spec, the tests are tougher.

I like the 1300 defender because it shoots aguila mini shells, and the rotary bolt is FAST.

I like the safety on the Mossberg, and the bottom eject on the Ithaca, and the Sincere reputation of the 870.

The one YOU got is the right one, the one the OTHER guy has is the wrong one. If I had to pick, spending your money, I'd go with the Winchester 1300. Slick..
Old 03-04-2010, 05:29   #10
Puppy

Most pump action shotguns are pretty robust by design, but anything mechanical can & will eventually break, the good thing is that since the design is so simple almost anyone with a bit of mechanical inclination can repair most problems at their kitchen table.

So my advice would be to buy a name brand pump action shotgun & take good care of it, then pass it down to your children & they'll probably be able to do the same for a couple more generations.
Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:52   #11
mixflip

I have heard (not seen) that cheap shotguns like the Maverick 88 ($199) while they are a great value price wise, they can be susceptible to action bar breakage where they are riveted into the forearms. They may go bang just as good as higher quality shotguns but how long they last is debatable.

As puppy said, stick with Mossberg or Remington and you should have good reliable service and they will probably last longer than you.

That being said, I did own a Maverick and had zero issues with it but I was also barely shot. I sold it to fund a nicer gun. I dont miss it.

As for the milspec guns. Unless you just want the milspec coolness, you will not be any better off in a home defense situation than someone with a non milspec model. They are built tough for combat but most avergae Joes arent going to Iraq. The non milspec guns are actually more practical because they are lighter and parts are more available at a cheaper price too. Milspec guns are for impressing your buddies but like I said, they wont serve you any better than a civilian spec gun if you are an average Joe citizen.

Last edited by mixflip; 03-04-2010 at 10:57..
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:19   #12
frankr

I guess that depends on how much you will be using the shotgun. If it is for home defense only and it is going to be sitting in you house and only be taken to the range a few times a month then any of the mentioned models in you question will last you the rest of your life. What ever model you get it is only effective as the person handling it. You have to have confidence in that weapon and the only way to get that is to practice, practice and when you think you have it right practice some more. I personally like the 870 but I have a Mossberg 930 SPX and because of an old shoulder injury (left shoulder) I use it for my home protection. I have 1,000% confidence in my 930 SPX because of the amount of range time I have and the growing number of shells Iíve shot.
Old 03-04-2010, 14:21   #13
aippi

Mitch brought up a good point about Mil Spec and many fine shotguns having never been tested under that contract. His Pick is not Mil Spec but is one great pumps out there, why, because Mil Spec is BS. All that is stating that an item met the minimun specification and testing of the buyer, in this case, the US Military.

Many fine shotguns were not even submitted for that contract including the 870, yet, the 870 was already in use by the US military and still is. The Winchester was not submitted and it is one fine pump shotgun as is the Ithica 37. Don't fall for the Mil-spec BS and pick the weapon you are most comfortable with and fits your wallet, wether it is a Mossberg 500, 870, Winchester or even others out there. You are the end user and it is your A double S's on the line if you ever have to use that weapon.

Posting questions like this will get you no where as they become This -V- That threads. Go to shops and ranges and handle the weapons. Avoid the Tactic-fool mess and pick a basic pump. You won't go wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 15:06   #14
Devils Haircut

MIL-SPEC= not cost effective to upgrade to any of the far better weapons choices until outdated to the point of danger to troops.

If "mil-spec" was the best, than MRE's wouldn't taste like dog chodes.
Devils Haircut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 16:51   #15
got_metal

Never shot an Ithaca, but from my experience Mossberg has been superior. Both my brother and a friend purchased an 870 at the same time, and both had the same exact problem, upon firing a round, the slide became stuck and had to be slammed on the ground butt first to be able to eject the round. Not every shot, but enough to consider it unreliable for defense. When it came time for me to buy a shotgun I went with a 590 for several reasons: the jamming of both the 870's I've shot, 590's are cheaper, I like the looks of the 590 alot more, and just to get something different. My 590 has shot a couple thousand rounds and has never had one problem. Whats funny is my bro initially wanted a Mossberg and that particular store didnt carry them on the premise that "Mossbergs are junk" and the 870's were far superior. So much for that guys opinion. Regardless, 870's are great shotguns from what I hear, just not in my personal experience.
got_metal is offline   Reply With Quote