GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 09:54   #1
SIERRA SIX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deerfield Beach, FL.
Posts: 138
Send a message via AIM to SIERRA SIX Send a message via Skype™ to SIERRA SIX
Safety stuck on Safe...HELP!

Hey all,

I have been having this problem with my Romanian variant for a while now. It has become such a problem, that I often leave the gun off safe, while the magazines and ammo are locked away elsewhere. When I engage the safety, it gets stuck. The only way I can disengage it is by removing the dust cover and pushing it to the side and then down. Is there any decent fix for this? PLEASE HELP!
SIERRA SIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 00:12   #2
SIERRA SIX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deerfield Beach, FL.
Posts: 138
Send a message via AIM to SIERRA SIX Send a message via Skype™ to SIERRA SIX
BTT...25 views and no miracle cures?
SIERRA SIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 00:23   #3
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's
 
GIockGuy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: With Amber Lamps
Posts: 3,973
What receiver is it? Is the receiver made in Romania or is the receiver American-made? It might be catching on the disconnector but it may be hanging on the receiver. I usually leave my safety in the off position. You can remove the top cover, rotate the safety lever up vertical, and bend it out SLIGHTLY. Careful not to bend it too much and not to break it.


You should have the hammer cocked before moving the safety on and off.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:37   #4
space_weazel
Senior Member
 
space_weazel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Or-e-Gone?
Posts: 1,459
Are you sure it's not just tight? try bending it out a little like GIockGuy suggested and report back.
__________________
A Ninja Pays Half Of My Rent Who Pays Yours?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Black Rifle Club #111
space_weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:39   #5
SIERRA SIX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deerfield Beach, FL.
Posts: 138
Send a message via AIM to SIERRA SIX Send a message via Skype™ to SIERRA SIX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
What receiver is it? Is the receiver made in Romania or is the receiver American-made? It might be catching on the disconnector but it may be hanging on the receiver. I usually leave my safety in the off position. You can remove the top cover, rotate the safety lever up vertical, and bend it out SLIGHTLY. Careful not to bend it too much and not to break it.


You should have the hammer cocked before moving the safety on and off.
It is definitely hanging up on the receiver. its really annoying too, might I add...
SIERRA SIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:25   #6
Ronaldo
Ancient Member
 
Ronaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Free Republic of Tejas
Posts: 1,389
Hanging on the receiver is a common trait. Simplest cure is judicious bending of the safety arm outwards to relieve some of the spring tension. This makes it easier to pop downwards. Had the same issue on one of my WASR's and cured with a little bit of bending. Not a biggie.

If you are more ambitious you can use a dremel tool to cut a nice big detent just before the top of the receiver. This works nicely too!

Ronaldo
__________________
'That which does not kill us, makes us stronger' - Nietzche

'Blood and Chocolate - in the dark, you can't tell the difference'

Last edited by Ronaldo; 02-21-2010 at 11:24..
Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 13:31   #7
SIERRA SIX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deerfield Beach, FL.
Posts: 138
Send a message via AIM to SIERRA SIX Send a message via Skype™ to SIERRA SIX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Hanging on the receiver is a common trait. Simplest cure is judicious bending of the safety arm outwards to relieve come of the spring tension. This makes it easier to pop downwards. Had the same issue on one of my WASR's and cured with a little bit of bending. Not a biggie.

If you are more ambitious you can use a dremel tool to cut a nice big detent just before the top of the receiver. This works nicely too!

Ronaldo
True, while im at it, I should probably look into a bolt-hold-open notch...

How many times should I attempt to push it out, and with how much pressure?
SIERRA SIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 00:21   #8
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's
 
GIockGuy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: With Amber Lamps
Posts: 3,973
Do push on it too much. If it won't stand straight up, then just raise above the receiver edge with the top cover removed. Enough to push out on it a bit. Does it move differently with the hammer cocked and uncocked? My hard AK safeties usually just remain off and down. Can't cock it or check the chamber with the safety on.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:34   #9
Aceman
Senior Member
 
Aceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,466
The bend out (gently) is the correct answer. And that Sierra - is what an AK is all about!!!

Revel in this moment! You are looking at this as "What a piece of junk" But you should be thinking "My god - how easy was that to fix!" You have repaired a firearm yourself.

That dremel move will work too - but a lot of hassle.

And as for the safety issue; Remember this is a COMBAT DESIGNED WEAPON. The CORRECT MANNER to use it is as such:

Threat situation (SHTF, War, Zombies, whatever...)
#1 Load and rack
IF TRAVEL NECESSARY - safety on; Safety off once the field of battle has been reached
#2 Dispatch threat
#3 When reasonably safe, remove mag, eject shell from chamber.

Otherwise - keep your finger off of the trigger.

All this safety on/off crap is for scared little girls. It is a firearm. IT IS NOT SAFE EVER IF POINTED AT SOMEONE OR THE FINGER IS ON THE TRIGGER.

Oh - by the way. It will work without the reciever cover on if you want to watch. I REALLY do not recommend that, but you might just see the problem happen if it's internal.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 20:48   #10
SIERRA SIX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deerfield Beach, FL.
Posts: 138
Send a message via AIM to SIERRA SIX Send a message via Skype™ to SIERRA SIX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
The bend out (gently) is the correct answer. And that Sierra - is what an AK is all about!!!

Revel in this moment! You are looking at this as "What a piece of junk" But you should be thinking "My god - how easy was that to fix!" You have repaired a firearm yourself.

That dremel move will work too - but a lot of hassle.

And as for the safety issue; Remember this is a COMBAT DESIGNED WEAPON. The CORRECT MANNER to use it is as such:

Threat situation (SHTF, War, Zombies, whatever...)
#1 Load and rack
IF TRAVEL NECESSARY - safety on; Safety off once the field of battle has been reached
#2 Dispatch threat
#3 When reasonably safe, remove mag, eject shell from chamber.

Otherwise - keep your finger off of the trigger.

All this safety on/off crap is for scared little girls. It is a firearm. IT IS NOT SAFE EVER IF POINTED AT SOMEONE OR THE FINGER IS ON THE TRIGGER.

Oh - by the way. It will work without the reciever cover on if you want to watch. I REALLY do not recommend that, but you might just see the problem happen if it's internal.
My worry is simply that if the safety engages by being nudged, and i need it to be OFF, ill have a problem.
I am not new to firearms, their operation, or firearm safety. I am just bothered with a problem I have yet to be able to fix
SIERRA SIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 21:48   #11
toshbar
Timber Baron
 
toshbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Oh - by the way. It will work without the reciever cover on if you want to watch. I REALLY do not recommend that, but you might just see the problem happen if it's internal.
What's wrong with not having the cover on? I function check my AKs every time the cover comes off before it gets put back on. It is possible to fire them with the cover off too, although I haven't.
__________________
1 3 5
├┼┤
Save the Manuals!
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 23:38   #12
Under8ted
Senior Member
 
Under8ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 122
Send a message via AIM to Under8ted
Hoot: [holding up his index finger] Well, this is my safety, sir. - "Blackhawk Down"
__________________
Kalashnikov Klub #996 Tactical Shotgun Club #996 Black Rifle Club #996
Under8ted is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:49.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,270
303 Members
967 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42