SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-20-2010, 16:23   #1
feelinlucky?

Just shot 12ga with pistol grip for first time

OUCH!!!!

Now all you manly men will chime in about what a pansy I am. I am a pretty good size boy and an avid exercise/weight lifter. The #6 was no big deal, but that Centurion HD stuff and the 00 buck was crazy. Right hand got hammered and the front of the gun flew up so that I didn't even hit the target. I really think I need a front pistol grip to help keep the gun level. I don't want to switch to a regular stock because I have a torn right rotator cuff. Good news is that it didn't hurt the shoulder...used the side of my small gut to help cushion the blow. Practice, practice, practice.

It's a Mossberg Cruiser with 18 1/2" barrel. Where to find front pistol grip? Problem is, the gun has been painted OD green, so I need to find one in that color, if I can.

James Earl Jones
feelinlucky? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 17:40   #2
Deputy206

Might try looking here.

http://www.tacticalshotgunaccessorie...pistolgrip.htm
Deputy206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 17:45   #3
lawndart98

I'd want a 20 ga. if I had to have one with a pistol grip...
Old 02-20-2010, 17:47   #4
GAFinch

Take it to the range a couple more times before you buy anything.
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 17:57   #5
feelinlucky?

Is there a particular method of shooting that would help me control this beast. Maybe I can figure it out with more practice. Only shot a handful of different rounds. Thanks for the help.

James Earl Jones
Old 02-20-2010, 21:20   #6
Thrillhouse700

What you want is called a knoxx spec ops breachers grip.

http://weaponparts.storesecured.com/...200-detail.htm

The gun slides on top of the pistol grip, the pistol grip has a spring inside that reduces the recoil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM6-FdS0idw

Only thing I would not rec is how the guy in the video doesn't keep his wrist straight in line with his arm. It still makes it somewhat sore if you do that.

I have the full stock and I like it.
Thrillhouse700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:32   #7
USMC03Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelinlucky? View Post
Is there a particular method of shooting that would help me control this beast. Maybe I can figure it out with more practice. Only shot a handful of different rounds. Thanks for the help.
Yes there is. Using a normal buttstock or even one of the pistol grip buttstock variety will do a LOT for reducing pain levels and also has the benefit of leaving you with a weapon you can actually hit anything when you shoot other than dirt or empty air. Leave the PGO shotguns for movies. Not like a blank has any recoil nor shot for any high expectations of doing anything other than make noise so they're the perfect movie prop...just not so much for anything more than that.
USMC03Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:47   #8
Dr. J Frame
LSWCHP +P

Quote:
Yes there is. Using a normal buttstock or even one of the pistol grip buttstock variety will do a LOT for reducing pain levels and also has the benefit of leaving you with a weapon you can actually hit anything when you shoot other than dirt or empty air.
Thanks, USMC03Grunt!

On Friday I got to see one of my co-workers try knock down a piece of firewood with his pistol-gripped Mossy 500 that we stood up in the snow. He's so proud of that thing that I had to hold my laughter inside. He hit everything but the wood. Said, "Maybe it's too heavy and I'm not knocking it over". I took one shot with my USP45 and it fell over. I told him that maybe he was just aiming in the wrong spot. He said, "No, I'm aiming right at it!"

This was 20yds, at most. I pretty much said what others have said, that pistol grips(only) were designed for the movies and have little practical defensive or sporting use. A breaching arm maybe, but only as an operator's gear. Not a primary weapon.
Old 02-21-2010, 15:06   #9
feelinlucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC03Grunt View Post
Yes there is. Using a normal buttstock or even one of the pistol grip buttstock variety will do a LOT for reducing pain levels and also has the benefit of leaving you with a weapon you can actually hit anything when you shoot other than dirt or empty air. Leave the PGO shotguns for movies. Not like a blank has any recoil nor shot for any high expectations of doing anything other than make noise so they're the perfect movie prop...just not so much for anything more than that.
As mentioned in my original post, I got the pistol grip because there is no way I can put a stock up against a bad shoulder. I have read where many who have practiced enough got pretty good with the pistol grip.

James Earl Jones
Old 02-21-2010, 15:09   #10
Aceman

Lotta practice - although the issues with indoor distances are less than mot scenarios.

I think I'd learn to shoot left handed first. Then I'd get a knoxx stock and get some instruction on proper shooting (placement, push-pull, etc...), and of course use low-recoil ammo. No need for full power indoors.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 16:41   #11
Ebb27

They make low recoil LE rounds and these would certainly help with the pain factor and increase your control for follow-up shots.

Most of the ammo makers offer them and I think there's even a thread going about where to get them online.

I can do a decent job with a pistol grip but man I took a beating with it learning how including a nice fat lip trying to use the bead sight.

I've went back to a standard stock, it's not only less punishing and eaisier to control but after years of bird hunting and clays it's just more natural for me.

I can understand how an injured shoulder makes a PG a necessity but once you're healed up I'd go back with a full stock.

PGs look really badass and are great if you need a really short shotgun for whatever reason but they're a real trick to use effectively and you'll never be as good with one as you would be with a full stock.
Old 02-21-2010, 17:14   #12
Minnow

If this firearm is going to be used effectively, then my advice would be to lose the pistol grip and buy:

This:
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Com...k,1155,165.htm

combined with the reduced recoil version of this:
http://le.atk.com/general/federalpro...lbuckshot.aspx

If these two items don't get the recoil down enough for you, then you might have to go to a gas operated auto or a 20ga. If you want a longgun for protection have you considered a 5.56 carbine instead of a shotgun?

Last edited by Minnow; 02-21-2010 at 17:37..
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 17:59   #13
22highcaps

If you are going to use a PGO (pistol grip only) then use reduced recoil rounds and a Knoxx Breacher grip as others have said.

However, you would be better served with a pistol grip full stock (such as a Knoxx Spec Ops or Speedfeed III, IV, or IV-S). I am partial to the latter as it gives all of the substantial benefits of a pistol grip combined with the benefits of a regular stock.
Illinois Glockers #8
22highcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 20:29   #14
feelinlucky?

I like the idea of the breacher grip, can get one through Amazon for less than $80 shipped. However, this gun was custom Duracoated in OD to match my Glock 19, hate to put that black grip on it...but will if I find I can't shoot this thing the way it is. Keep in mind, only spent a few minutes with it so I need to practice and see if things improve. To those pushing the regular stock, a torn rotator cuff does not heal and I am avoiding surgery as I am not having much pain from it since building the muscle around the joint. But putting a stock up against it would most likely finish it off.

Thanks all for your posts.

James Earl Jones
Old 02-21-2010, 21:31   #15
USMC03Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelinlucky? View Post
As mentioned in my original post, I got the pistol grip because there is no way I can put a stock up against a bad shoulder. I have read where many who have practiced enough got pretty good with the pistol grip.
Ever try shooting weak hand? I bastardize our course of fire and have my students shoot a couple rounds weak handed with our 870 MCS shotguns and they still manage to hit the targets. It's awkward and odds are they are going to hold it wrong a time or two just to get a feel for that recoil of an incorrectly held 12 gauge but they still have better luck than a lot of shooters I seen trying to use a PGO gun.
USMC03Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 20:36   #16
BK63

I find that I can control a regular shotty without a pistol grip holding at waist a lot better than something with a pistol grip that is going to really wrench my wrist, but just my 2 cents.
BK63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 20:41   #17
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

You can still use a regular stock under your arm. It will make all the difference in the world.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:46   #18
desertfox
Suspended

Having tried a number of PGO setups and floding stocks......I would get eith a regular stock a pistol grip stock. as the previous posrter mention, tucking it under your arm is a lot more controllable then just a pistol grip.

I do not think a OD shotgun with black furniture would look bad. the PGO turns the shotgun 7 yard defense weapon in my opinion.

Of the pistol grips, besides the knoxx, the Pachmyer was the next best.

I do have a Tacstar front and rear grips I am wanting to sell if you really have to try it (and yes, they were on one of my mossbergs).....
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:08   #19
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
I do not think a OD shotgun with black furniture would look bad.
I think it looks rather good...
http://glocktalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/106
http://glocktalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/108

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:15   #20
David Armstrong

Quote:
Is there a particular method of shooting that would help me control this beast.
Yes. As was said earlier, get a normal, full-length stock instead of the pistol grip. Then hold the shotgun so the stock is held tight in your armpit instead of in the shoulder pocket. You will get more control and accuracy. If your shoulder is so bad it won't allow that, another option is to do the armpit hold with the butt held against a wall or some such. That is a method we have taught for officers who are injured in the shoulder during a fight.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote