SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-20-2010, 21:31   #1
glockrod
NRA-Endow. Life

Buffer tubes: When is milspec really milspec

I read one of the other threads about the DSA stock kits being mil-spec in size only and that they are not true mils-spec forged from the proper aluminum.

Well, I suppose I should ask if being milspec really makes a difference(except for the obvious difference that certain stocks only fit that size of tube)? I mean, the majority of commercially available AR's have commercial sized tubes of similar manufacturing. So, does mil-spec in size only really make a difference?

If so, I have been looking at other manufacturers, and it appears to be about as clear as mud. I checked Bravo Co, supposedly THE go to for all things super good for ARs. They have 6 pos M4 stock kits ranging from $75-83 with "mil-spec" tubes. Are these truly mil-spec, or are they only a different version of the same DSA buffer tube in their stock kits?

Now, I could go all out and get a uber cool stock that is true milspec, but for the build of my KISS gun, I consider these out of my price range.

So, what is real and what is right? And what to do?

All of you AR gurus, your input is valued.

Rod
Old 02-20-2010, 23:06   #2
Onmilo

Buy a Colt tube, since they make the only actual "Mil-Spec" issue M4 carbines right now, the Colt is the ONLY true Mil-Spec tube.
The only other exception that is true "Mil-Spec" are the VLTOR extension tubes used on some versions of the M14 EBR rifles.

I personally use VLTOR tubes on my M4 clones and my M1A EBR rifle.
Onmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 23:07   #3
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

"forged from the proper aluminum"

You answered your own question.

BTW, the part is called a Receiver Extension.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:04   #4
phx223

You are running a risk with vltor nowadays too. They put DSA 6061 extensions in thier kits for a few months to keep up with demand. Althought they have switched back to 7071 extensions, there is no way to know which extension you will get. To top it off they claim that the 6061 is the same as 7071 and wont swap out the parts unless something breaks (the whole point of buying the 7071 is so it doesn't break as it is 2-4 times stronger (depending on if the 6061 is heat treated).
Now I am going bravo company extension kit and I will buy my stock seperately.
phx223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:19   #5
jrs93accord

I usually buy my buffer tubes from LaRue Tactical.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=391

A bad day shooting beats a great day working!
jrs93accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:05   #6
markman

The BCM extension tubes are Mil-spec.
markman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:20   #7
glockrod
NRA-Endow. Life

markman,

But is it a true mil-spec?

After everything, I just heard something new. Heat treated 6061??? WTH is that and what is it supposed to do. Why cant there be some standardization of what milspec is supposed to mean in this case?

BTW, I have been thinking of doing the BCM stock kit just because I would tend to beleive that in some way, it must be better. BTW, they have some koolaid over there!!LOL

Rod
Old 02-21-2010, 11:36   #8
markman

Yes it is. I don't remember where I got the info, but I was told it was before I bought mine!

Quote:
But is it a true mil-spec?
markman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 14:48   #9
bdh_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onmilo View Post
Buy a Colt tube, since they make the only actual "Mil-Spec" issue M4 carbines right now, the Colt is the ONLY true Mil-Spec tube.
The only other exception that is true "Mil-Spec" are the VLTOR extension tubes used on some versions of the M14 EBR rifles.
That is not completely true. While Colt is the only one making the actual M4, everyone knows that each and every part on that rifle is not solely made by Colt. CMT and LMT are two other manufacturers who produce a mil spec diameter tube also made of the spec'd 7075 aluminum.

7075 is about twice as strong as 6061. 7071 is more than likely a typo as that material spec that doesn't appear on matweb.
bdh_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 14:54   #10
Onmilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdh_1 View Post
That is not completely true. While Colt is the only one making the actual M4, everyone knows that each and every part on that rifle is not solely made by Colt. CMT and LMT are two other manufacturers who produce a mil spec diameter tube also made of the spec'd 7075 aluminum.

7075 is about twice as strong as 6061. 7071 is more than likely a typo as that material spec that doesn't appear on matweb.
It is true in the fact if you buy a Colt packaged product you are guaranteed of getting a Mil-Spec type tube.
VLTOR only put the DSA tubes in kits, buy a seperate tube and know what you are getting.
Collapsing stock extension tubes are the only part I am something of a stickler on because of uncertain quality on commercial market and the fact I dropped a rifle with a commercial tube onto a concrete pad hard enough to bend the tube to the point the weapon was rendered unuseable.
Onmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 18:31   #11
deMontacute
NRA Member

Send a message via Yahoo to deMontacute
Unless a reciever extension is FORGED it is not real "milspec" extension. AFAIK only Colt uses forged extensions. All others, including LMT and BCM use EXTRUDED tubes...
Kalashnikov Klub #723 Black Rifle Club #723
deMontacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:55   #12
bdh_1

One guy says that the TDP says forged, another guy says it says impact extruded for the RE. It really would be interesting to find someone with actual access to the M4 TDP to verify.

Since I haven't found where anyone has posted a link to the actual TDP, here's an interesting link on the forging and impact extrusion processes. http://www.ashbroasia.com/resources.pdf

Last edited by bdh_1; 02-22-2010 at 07:27.. Reason: added link
bdh_1 is offline   Reply With Quote