Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:52   #1
FFL Girl

A real BS

A friend of mine was almost raped two years ago and she decided to get a firearm for selfdefense. I would do that, it's her god given right.

Five weeks ago, she was assaulted again, shot a guy in the leg and now he is suing her for an assult and wounding and whatnot.

I mean what kind of BS is this?! What is the point of getting a firearm for personal protection if you can't protect yourself?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:15   #2
mitchshrader
Deceased

he tried to rape me, I shot him. after that, it's up to the courts. if she was nol-prossed on the ADW, or attempted murder, or whatever.. his civil suit is purely harrassment and will cost him money. she needs to countersue for triple damages and lawyers costs, and watch him wither away.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:51   #3
NRA_guy
Unreconstructed

Of course, anybody can sue anybody else any time over anything.

Ten to one the guy got a lawyer to take his case on a contingency, which means that it costs him nothing unless he wins and gets damages.

Another ten to one that she will pay her lawyer out of her pocket and NOT get her legal fees from the punk. Punks never have any assets.

Her insurance company (liability) may figure out a way to settle out of court by paying the punk's medical bills.

But her situation makes a strong case for finishing the job. Dead punks don't sue.

Conservatives have faith in individuals; liberals put their faith in the government.
NRA_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:05   #4
engineer151515

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL Girl View Post
A friend of mine was almost raped two years ago and she decided to get a firearm for selfdefense. I would do that, it's her god given right.

Five weeks ago, she was assaulted again, shot a guy in the leg and now he is suing her for an assult and wounding and whatnot.

I mean what kind of BS is this?! What is the point of getting a firearm for personal protection if you can't protect yourself?
I'm sorry such violence has hit your friend.
Yes, it is your God given right to defend yourself.
But, as you probably know, NYC has terribly restrictive gun laws with permits/licenses, approvals and fees required. All of these represent legal pitfalls to an law abiding American citizen who just tried to protect herself from a life threatening felony.

Rest assured, not every State has these restrictions on ownership or carry (concealed or open) of a firearm - including handguns.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:48   #5
FFL Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nra_guy View Post

but her situation makes a strong case for finishing the job. Dead punks don't sue.

amen!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:58   #6
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

she must live in a state that allows friviless suits to go forward.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 19:11   #7
NRA_guy
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
she must live in a state that allows friviless suits to go forward.
We all do. It's what keeps lawyers in business.

Conservatives have faith in individuals; liberals put their faith in the government.
Old 02-24-2010, 19:42   #8
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA_guy View Post
We all do. It's what keeps lawyers in business.
i dont know about mississippi, but many southern states now have the castle doctrine, stand your ground law, make my day law...et cetera that states in addition with having no duty to retreat from a place you have a lawful right to be you can not be sued by the suspect or his kin if you were the intended victim of a crime.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:48   #9
NRA_guy
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
i dont know about mississippi, but many southern states now have the castle doctrine, stand your ground law, make my day law...et cetera that states in addition with having no duty to retreat from a place you have a lawful right to be you can not be sued by the suspect or his kin if you were the intended victim of a crime.
Yep. Mississippi has a very strong castle law.

It allows one who feels threatened to shoot (kill) the bad guy.

Our law covers one's home (of course), but extends it to his automobile, camper, and boat. It also provides the right to business owners' place of business.

Mississippi has had a number of folks kill would-be house intruders and car jackers sine the law passed. (In today's tight budgets that saves taxpayers tons of money.)

The good people do not get indited (drives liberals crazy), but one can still be sued for civil damages. But not being charged by the DA under criminal statutes makes civil cases hard to win.

Of course, the normal exclusions apply (schools, court houses, etc.)

Last edited by NRA_guy; 02-25-2010 at 04:50..
Old 02-25-2010, 17:22   #10
GreyEclipse
TheGreyEclipse

Sounds like the law at work.

Don't be offended, it happens all the time.
GreyEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 15:45   #11
Brain Virus

Quote:
Good for her! I hope she keeps carrying! It makes me sick the people think they have the right to molest other people. I wish I had been walking next to her when the other person tried that, Probably would have attempted to beat his brains in. ( no carry permit yet )

Quote:
But her situation makes a strong case for finishing the job. Dead punks don't sue.
+1
Old 02-28-2010, 08:26   #12
ElectricZombie

Quote:
+1

Unfortunately, the guy lived and NY is a commie state. I hope everything works out.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:34   #13
hamburger

Quote:

I just took a CCW class where the instructor told us about possible civil suits from the attacker or family members, employee, employer or anyone and anything related to the attacker.

You have a gun. Your decision is die or live in hell. I think the CCW instructor said it that way incase there were anybody looking for an excuse to shoot. But it is reality. I have a gun for home defense. If someone breaks in armed, he/she/they are going down - well at least one of them.

What's that saying:
I rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Also, if these attacks are an on going thing, try to be proactive rather then reactive. A gun is a last resort. Making it a habit to know your surrounding and not being in a not so friendly environment is not easy, but a life saver.

Last edited by hamburger; 02-28-2010 at 08:39..
hamburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 20:45   #14
stgha

Quote:
Of course, anybody can sue anybody else any time over anything.

Ten to one the guy got a lawyer to take his case on a contingency, which means that it costs him nothing unless he wins and gets damages.

Another ten to one that she will pay her lawyer out of her pocket and NOT get her legal fees from the punk. Punks never have any assets.

Her insurance company (liability) may figure out a way to settle out of court by paying the punk's medical bills.

Be careful with the "dead punk's don't sue..."
While this is true, dead punks families DO sue.
Not saying she didn't have the right to do what she did. If true, she had every right to protect herself. even so, there are boatloads of bottom feeding lawers out for a buck who will take the case.
Even though she survived (thank GOD), she could still be devistated by a tremendous financial burdon due to legal fees.
I hope she comes out of it OK........

Steve
stgha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:51   #15
NRA_guy
Unreconstructed

I know a 30-year old woman who has had lots of bad things happen in her life.

These are things that she has chosen (drugs, kids out of wedlock, had kids taken away by the court, loses control and fights with folks, can't hold a job, has no money, etc.)

Recently a boyfriend broke her jaw really badly---several thousand dollars in medical costs (and of course she has no insurance.)

She has him under a restraining order and has had him arrested.

Everybody knows that he will come back for her as soon as he is released.

She is on probation herself; so leaving town is not an option.

The weird thing is that she cannot have a gun to defend herself (even in Mississippi!) due to her past criminal activity.

Some people dig these holes for themselves. She is one who has done so.