GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-25-2010, 21:45   #21
thisaway

I am guessing that if you add a rail to an LMT, you would probably have spent about the same amount of $$$ as if you had bought the 6940, so there is no particular advantage to either one. The Colt might have greater resale value in the future though.
Wheelhouse #452, 10 Ring#5744, Mil Surp & MBR# 3006, ad nauseam

"By and large, the most successful riflemen were the over-mountain men of Tennessee." Richard B. LaCrosse, Jr., The Frontier Rifleman

"....the man with the rifle knows." USA AMU
thisaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 21:59   #22
Kegel

Colt's are junk. Get the LMT.....and don't shoot it in the house.
Kegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 22:09   #23
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegel View Post
Colt's are junk. Get the LMT.....and don't shoot it in the house.

The more you post, the more I hope for carpal tunnel.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 22:55   #24
HAIL CAESAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
The more you post, the more I hope for carpal tunnel.

HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 23:01   #25
ArmoryDoc

I'll join the fray. Colt and BCM are tops in my book. Since you didn't ask about BCM, I would have to say Colt. LMT is a good runner-up but BCM has got 'em beat with their mil-spec gas key. LMT gas key is MIM, if you care.

I've got a Colt 6920 and a BCM M4. Neither will ever be parted with, 'cept when I hit the grave. You can have the LMT.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 23:49   #26
Constructor
GT Sponsor

Lmt used a few mim parts last year when everyone was out of parts.
Everything is back to normal now.
If the ar15 carrier is full ramp it is just as good as a m16 carrier unless you
Plan to build an illegal machinegun.
Colt or lmt are fine, colts koolaid is stronger, and lmt doesn't pay cheerleaders
Pick the features you like.
Constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 23:51   #27
ArmoryDoc

I like Cheerleaders.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:39   #28
ronin.45

The Colt doesn't offer anything for the extra mony. The LMT is my choice.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:45   #29
kabob983
"Mostly" Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffen Monk View Post
Interesting I had never really thought about building before, but I would love to own a Noveske. Should this really be considered they have basic uppers for like $825 w/free N4 lower on their website! I would like to know more about the company, so please school me.

Also lots of people talking about BMC, whats their story?

And how about LMT?

Thanks for all the replies fellas
Noveske is like the Rolls Royce of AR-15's. They are extremely well made, very accurate but they don't sacrifice ruggedness for that accuracy. It's an absolute top tier gun. If I could "convince" my wife to let me get another AR I'd jump on that deal and get a 14.5" Reece upper if I could (VIS for the ultimate win).

BCM aka Bravo Company Manufacturing is a newer company. They do not build any of the components, rather they buy pre-made high quality components and assemble/QC them. They are definitely the new hot mfr in town and their reputation for quality/customer service is unparalleled. They use all the same stringent Mil-Spec requirements that Colt uses save for one...they use a Mid-Length gas system on alot of their rifles which is in alot of ways superior to a Carbine gas system. Both function equally reliably.

LMT is another very good company but they don't use all the same Mil-Spec requirements (since they aren't a military supplier) that Colt uses. Will you ever know the difference when shooting? Probably not. I'd happily own an LMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
I've got a Colt 6920 and a BCM M4. Neither will ever be parted with, 'cept when I hit the grave. You can have the LMT.
Amazingly I'm contemplating selling my beloved BCM upper...to finance a BCM 14.5" middy when they are released. I highly doubt my wife will met me buy another right now and I've got 3 16" Carbine Colts...I kinda wanna fiddle around with the 14.5" (since SBR isn't an option in my state).
Old 02-26-2010, 20:55   #30
PillBox

I have a Colt LE 6920 that has about 750 rounds of crummy Russian garbage ammo through it without a burp. I really like the LMT, though, and would have gotten one if the wait wasn't six months when I was in the market for an AR.

Top Gun Supply has them for $1150 plus $25 shipping. They are a great company that gets your product to you ASAP. I love doing business with them.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/long-guns-colt-rifles/

I think they're mostly equal, but then there's ALWAYS the Colt allure, and that has value.

PillBox
Old 02-26-2010, 21:06   #31
Glockernaut

Just bought an LMT from a glocktalk member. The rifle is a complete LMT M4 patrol upper(entry model) on a LMT receiver with a doublestar LPK. The rifle was built by Coastal gun. The lower is marked coastal guns but is made by LMT. To make a long story short the base rifle cost me $750 w/o rear BUIS and M4 handguards. I have put on an ergo grip, DD omega quad rail, and Troy rear BUIS on it and have $1100 in it so far. Saw their booth at a gunshow in Macon, GA and complete LMT uppers w/o rear buis were $425. The uppers are not listed on the coastal guns website coastalgun.com but you could call them to see about shipping. This the best kept secret I have found in buying high quality affordable AR's. For my first carbine I was looking at mid-tier guns like RRA, SW, stag and even arsenal AK's for around $750 until I saw this deal. With Coastal and BCM there is no reason to spend $700-900 on a bushy, stag, SW or RRA. Just my $0.02.
Glockernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 21:45   #32
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
If I were in the market for another, I would buy a 16" mid length BCM.
But given your choices,.....LMT
I've got the LMT Defender, N4 carbine and N4 Recce and no complaints with any but the BCM middie seems like the best for the price today. My shootin' buddy has owned a dozen different guns and puts gobs through his BCM Middie and knows more about ARs than anyone I know and is committed to them.
Who change the plain meaning of words/
Myanmar-Shave.. (Haakon Dahl)
Apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 22:44   #33
thisaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob983 View Post

Amazingly I'm contemplating selling my beloved BCM upper...
When you're ready, keep me in mind!
Wheelhouse #452, 10 Ring#5744, Mil Surp & MBR# 3006, ad nauseam

"By and large, the most successful riflemen were the over-mountain men of Tennessee." Richard B. LaCrosse, Jr., The Frontier Rifleman

"....the man with the rifle knows." USA AMU

Last edited by thisaway; 02-26-2010 at 22:45..
thisaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:33   #34
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
I've got the LMT Defender, N4 carbine and N4 Recce and no complaints with any but the BCM middie seems like the best for the price today. My shootin' buddy has owned a dozen different guns and puts gobs through his BCM Middie and knows more about ARs than anyone I know and is committed to them.
Post was based upon cost vs quality. I have a Colt Sporter ban-era lower with a M4 Colt 6920 upper.
Think Colt USGI M4,......love it!

Last edited by faawrenchbndr; 02-27-2010 at 07:33..
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:33   #35
Waffen Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillBox View Post
I have a Colt LE 6920 that has about 750 rounds of crummy Russian garbage ammo through it without a burp. I really like the LMT, though, and would have gotten one if the wait wasn't six months when I was in the market for an AR.

Top Gun Supply has them for $1150 plus $25 shipping. They are a great company that gets your product to you ASAP. I love doing business with them.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/long-guns-colt-rifles/

I think they're mostly equal, but then there's ALWAYS the Colt allure, and that has value.

PillBox
Top Gun Supply is top notch! I have ordered from them in the past, got a sig p228 Zurich police trade in and a g19 OD and everyone I have ever dealt w/over their all seemed like real good people. I have seen that on their website, that seems like a real good price on a new 6920. That maybe my fall back option.

Yesterday the person who I had talked to about the 6940 for $1400 OTD informed me that it was already sold I feel like I maybe should have jumped on that.

I have also found a lightly used Noveske N4 Light Low-Profile that looks nice. What what is a fair price for that $1400 or maybe $1500 The LMT for $1100 OTD is also still an option. What do you think?

Thanks again guys
Old 02-27-2010, 15:55   #36
vettely

I am currently using a LMT upper on my RRA lower. I like it.
Old 02-27-2010, 19:15   #37
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffen Monk View Post
I have also found a lightly used Noveske N4 Light Low-Profile that looks nice. What what is a fair price for that $1400 or maybe $1500 The LMT for $1100 OTD is also still an option. What do you think?
You can get a N4 Light Recce Upper from Ranier for $1375 w/ free lower and finish it out with a $150 Palmetto State Kit.

That's what I did last Thursday and just came back from my first run. It was AMAZING.

Black Rifle Forum

The Noveske is in a class by itself, and head and shoulders above LMT IMO...
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 19:30   #38
Constructor
GT Sponsor

As it states below, they started as a gov contractor and then expanded to commercial sales.

Company Profile
Lewis Machine & Tool Company (LMT) was founded in 1980 to provide the US military,
law enforcement and government agencies with high quality weapons, components, and
modular weapon systems. Since the beginning, the LMT mission has been to meet their
customerís expectations of quality, price and delivery of precision machined parts,
weapon systems, assemblies and engineering services. In their twenty-five years of
doing business in Milan, Illinois, LMT has always been environmentally responsible, as
well as working to become an asset of their community while providing their employees
with a rewarding and challenging work place.
LMT continues to serve the US military, law enforcement and government agencies, and
has expanded to include foreign military services as well as commercial retailers. LMTís
engineers design and fabricate complete weapon systems, grenade launchers, and
Monolithic Rail Platform (MRP) systems specifically for the demanding environments that
the military and law enforcement face on a day-to-day basis whether in urban
environments or in desert combat situations. LMT produces a full line of accessories and
components for the commercial market complementing any M16 or AR15 type weapon.
In response to the growing demand for quick-change barrel systems, Karl Lewis,
President of LMT, designed the Monolithic Rail Platform. The MRP is a one-piece
lightweight upper receiver with an integral forend. Mil-Std 1913 rails run from front to the
forend on each of the four sides. The MRP comes in two different lengths, one
traditional rifle and the other for Close Quarter Battle (CQB). With four rails, the MRP
offers plenty of places for accessories such as optics and lights.
Lewis Machine & Tool Company recently qualified as a 2005 GSA supplier. As a US
Government Services Administration (GSA) qualified vendor, LMT products are available
to over 300,000 Federal users worldwide.
Lewis Machine & Tool Company has also been recognized on several levels for their
adherence to quality engineering and excellence in business. LMT is the recipient of the
Illinois Quad City Small Business Government Procurement Award for Excellence in
State and Federal Government Procurement. Other awards include the United States
Army Armament, Munitions and Chemical Command Award for Contractor Excellence of
Loyal Support and Contributions to the Readiness of the US Armed Forces for the period
of October 1, 1991 through September 30, 1992 and the US Army Material Command
for Outstanding Achievement in Value Engineering in 1994 and the Committee of Small
Arms Producers (CSAP) for the period of April 1997 through February 2001.
Constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 19:47   #39
sugarcreek
familyman

...dealer price for LMT piston defender 2000 is like 1450 bucks...

Got a friend?
Old 02-27-2010, 20:09   #40
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constructor View Post
As it states below, they started as a gov contractor and then expanded to commercial sales.
And Noveske is owned by Chuck Norris. And Trijicon is owned by Jesus.

Last edited by KalashniKEV; 02-27-2010 at 20:09..
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ar15, colt 6920, colt 6940, lmt