Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-25-2010, 20:36   #1
unit1069

.22lr Silencer

I lucked out and found a used Ruger Mark II about six months ago. After learning a few things about it and tweaking it I have come to love plinking with this pistol.

My sister owns a remote cabin that sits on a bluff above a beautiful Ozark river. There are hundreds of floaters going down the river on Summer weekends, and throughout the Summer months there are floaters on the river every day.

A canoe outfitter owns the riverfront property below the bluff where my sister's cabin sits. Besides renting canoes he operates a large campground. Because of the slope of the hill and the dense woods her place cannot be seen by campers below or canoers on the river. We like that, insofar as the last thing any of us want is for drunken/drugged weekenders deciding to "explore" the area.

A few days ago my sister said armadillos are beginning to become more plentiful in the area. She has recently had the state department of conservation agents help her create a natural habitat environment to bring back native game birds. Another problem creeping up seems to be more mice, perhaps because of the large campground below.

I mentioned I have a .22lr and that would likely be good for picking off the animal interlopers and she agreed. Then I remembered the camper problem and said the crack of a pistol would alert the weekenders to someone on top of the crest and behind them. So it is a stalemate.

My questions: How difficult is it to get approval for a silencer? How much does it cost? How hard is it to maintain properly? And what would I have to do to the pistol to mate the silencer with the gun?

This occurred to me after talking to my sister, but if it's an expensive headache that will also draw the BATF on me I'd just as soon forget about it. But a silencer does seem to be an answer to the dilemma, as far as the armadillos go. The mice, a couple of cats would help.

Answers and opinions, please.

PS Just noticed the "Supressor Host" thread. Sorry if I'm duplicating another thread.

Last edited by unit1069; 02-25-2010 at 20:44..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 20:41   #2
DriBak
GUNS UP

www.silencertalk.com
Old 02-26-2010, 13:33   #3
TonyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I lucked out and found a used Ruger Mark II about six months ago. After learning a few things about it and tweaking it I have come to love plinking with this pistol.

My sister owns a remote cabin that sits on a bluff above a beautiful Ozark river. There are hundreds of floaters going down the river on Summer weekends, and throughout the Summer months there are floaters on the river every day.

A canoe outfitter owns the riverfront property below the bluff where my sister's cabin sits. Besides renting canoes he operates a large campground. Because of the slope of the hill and the dense woods her place cannot be seen by campers below or canoers on the river. We like that, insofar as the last thing any of us want is for drunken/drugged weekenders deciding to "explore" the area.

A few days ago my sister said armadillos are beginning to become more plentiful in the area. She has recently had the state department of conservation agents help her create a natural habitat environment to bring back native game birds. Another problem creeping up seems to be more mice, perhaps because of the large campground below.

I mentioned I have a .22lr and that would likely be good for picking off the animal interlopers and she agreed. Then I remembered the camper problem and said the crack of a pistol would alert the weekenders to someone on top of the crest and behind them. So it is a stalemate.

My questions: How difficult is it to get approval for a silencer? How much does it cost? How hard is it to maintain properly? And what would I have to do to the pistol to mate the silencer with the gun?

This occurred to me after talking to my sister, but if it's an expensive headache that will also draw the BATF on me I'd just as soon forget about it. But a silencer does seem to be an answer to the dilemma, as far as the armadillos go. The mice, a couple of cats would help.

Answers and opinions, please.

PS Just noticed the "Supressor Host" thread. Sorry if I'm duplicating another thread.
Have you considerd an airgun for your pest control needs? I also used the CCI 22 Short CB caps which have a very mild report in a rifle.
TonyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 14:16   #4
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
Have you considerd an airgun for your pest control needs? I also used the CCI 22 Short CB caps which have a very mild report in a rifle.
I have absolutely no experience in this regard, but I'm wondering if CB caps might be a little under-powered to reliably and mercifully dispatch armadillos...

Also, I'm thinking that any air rifle of sufficient power to take out an armadillo would be about as loud as a .22 (just based on the sound signature of my RWS-52).

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 14:20   #5
uzimon
team ftp

Quote:
How difficult is it to get approval for a silencer?
depends on your location and the leo's.
but there's also othe ways
also try www.subguns.com
uzimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 14:21   #6
98_1LE

I want one of these, bad: http://www.s-n-sshootingsupplies.com/2nd_page.html
98_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 21:00   #7
unit1069

Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

I like the idea of the air pistol for mice but I don't think it would be powerful enough to be effective with armadillos.

The more I read the other threads it looks like the cost of a decent suppressed system is more than I want to spend just to use against some armadillos.
Old 02-26-2010, 21:25   #8
Ljay
Micky's Packin

Another option would be, find an old used inexpensive single shot 22 with a 24" barrel, Then get some 22 Subsonic s Not much louder than a good pellet rifle, The 24" barrel burns up all the powder, No crack! I have taken much game with the Subsonic s ,
Ljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 21:29   #9
mitchshrader
Deceased

.22 short hollowpoint from an old bolt action .22 makes less noise than a .177 spring loaded air gun. They're just the ticket for shooting minidinosaurs.
Old 02-26-2010, 21:45   #10
unit1069

Okay, guys. I'm back in the game. The rifle/sub-sonic route seems like a good idea if the sound is practically nil. I'd prefer sticking with .22lr so I can use the rifle with better ammo when not using it at my sister's place.

I recently saw a Mossberg .22lr with a 10-round mag (I think) for $120. Would that be a good rifle to shoot the sub-sonic? I don't know the barrel length.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:24   #11
B.Reid

You can get a .22 suppressor for around $400 plus $200 tax. You will have to tread the barrel to attach it though.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:34   #12
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
You can get a .22 suppressor for around $400 plus $200 tax. You will have to tread the barrel to attach it though.
That's what I was afraid of. Out of the ballpark for me but I'll mention it to my sister in case the armadillo situation becomes a real problem.

The rifle/sub-sonic ammo route, though, still seems promising.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:01   #13
JFrame

I recall seeing a Youtube video of side-by-side performances of identical P22's, one equipped with a $100 suppressor and the other with a $500 suppressor (minus the stamp cost).

The 100 dollar suppressor was actually more effective in dampening sound.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:52   #14
Mongosafari
El diablo verde

attached are pics of my Ruger 22/45.

The barrel is threaded and it uses an M16 flash hider as a thread protector (.500"x28 TPI).

old pics without and newer with an EOTech 552
Attached Thumbnails
Rimfire Forum - Click for larger version   Rimfire Forum - Click for larger version   Rimfire Forum - Click for larger version  
Old 03-17-2010, 22:35   #15
fifty2you
Bad guy

Tagged
fifty2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:41   #16
Messer

Another option - crossbow.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:55   #17
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

If you are in Missouri, yer SOL on the suppressor. That and DD's are the only things citizens cannot have. Even with a tax-stamp...
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 22:16   #18
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

The armadillos are native and natural, I presume. They may root up your yard, but they are eating pests that are bad for the plants. The armadillos will move on once they've gotten most of the grubs, etc. from the yard, and it will be healthier from it.

As for mice, traps of various kinds work.

Sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse to buy some new hardware, and something to shoot.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:09   #19
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messer View Post
Another option - crossbow.
Or a bow-staff.

deadite
Old 03-20-2010, 00:12   #20
scottMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mmmofo View Post
If you are in Missouri, yer SOL on the suppressor. That and DD's are the only things citizens cannot have. Even with a tax-stamp...
Actually suppressors have been good to go since Aug of 2008 and are treated no different than MG's, SBR's, SBS's. Like ownership for other NFA items in Missouri, you must have at least a C&R to satisfy a state law...
Big Dawg #21.

Last edited by scottMO; 03-20-2010 at 00:14..
scottMO is offline   Reply With Quote