GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2010, 19:36   #1
Flipz

I Need Your Help: Sig Sauer 522, S&W M&P 15-22, or Ruger 10/22?

Hey guys,

Ive been interested in getting a semi-auto .22LR rifle for awhile now and Im trying to decide between these 3 choices:

Sig Sauer 522
S&W M&P 15-22
Ruger 10/22

If you have experience with any of these and have suggestions as to which one to purchase please post. Im looking for all your opinions, good or bad.

Im leaning towards the Sig and I have heard good things about it. But I have not made up my mind yet and am looking for a little help from you guys.

What do you think? Which one should I buy?
Thanks!
GSSF Member
Hornady LnL AP, 9mm & 45ACP
Flipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 20:05   #2
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

I have the S&W and the Ruger. The S&W is cooler and looks/acts just like an AR. The Ruger is a better rifle all around. I like my GSG-5 better than both!
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 22:31   #3
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

That's an odd assortment of choices. For the price of either of the first 2, you could get a few of the others.

After I got my Ruger 10/22 working, I swore I would never buy another Ruger: and I won't. BUT, in your situation, for the price of a Sig or SW, you could get a Marlin, a Savage, and a Remington. The Marlin, Savage, and Remington are better than the Ruger.

If you like a QC challenge, the Ruger is for you. If you just want to shoot, go with a Savage or Marlin. But if you want something unique, go with the Sig or SW.

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 23:04   #4
Flipz

Im looking for more of a tactical look. Im also looking at the Kel Tec SU-22. Its gonna be a tough decision. Im still leaning towards the Sig. Whatever I choose is gonna be my first .22lr rifle and its gonna be a range/plinking/fun gun. Just something to change it up a bit at the range while also being much less expensive when it comes to ammo.
GSSF Member
Old 01-30-2010, 23:16   #5
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

Well, if you are looking for something to compliment your 5.11 pants, Thunderkiller shirt, your Level IV body armor with sewn in rear plate, Delta Force boots, and Blackwater Red Cell Ballistic Shield, and Jeep assault vehicle with a Hemi.....

don't forget the GSG 5.

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 00:19   #6
venenoindy

I have all three, and apples to oranges. the 10/22 IMO while a great rifle is not a true training (plinker) sub for an AR. I do have an AR and the S&W M&P15-22 does a great job as a cheaper alternative and training tool for me to be a lot more familiar with the big brother, the Sig is also a great rifle but also different feel than the AR platform. to me the M&P15-22 is a lot easier to get accesories because of the vast options of the AR platform, the Sig there is not a whole lot out there and if there is, will be more expensive.I like each for different reasons but if I could only have one it would be the M&P15-22.
venenoindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 00:30   #7
CMG

Making a fair comparison really depends on which model of 10/22... the new Ruger SR22 compares well to the S&W 15-22 and Sig 522.

I own all three and the SR22 offers an AR feel, and the ability to accept any AR furniture. It generally needs a bit of trigger work, but other than that it offers a very reliable platform with lots of after-market support. There are no iron sights, and the short rail pretty much limits you to an optical sight of some sort. Cost $450

The S&W 15-22 is a great trainer for any center-fire AR as it's controls are identical. It also needs a trigger job IMO, and can accept most AR collapsible stocks and grips. The fore-end is not readily changed out. The rifle comes with a pretty good set of removable A2 style iron sights. Cost $400

The Sig 522 is a great clone of their 556 rifle, with solid construction and identical controls. It doesn't have much after-market support... yet. It does have the best trigger out of the box, and really doesn't need much help. Like the Ruger you are pretty much limited to optical sights as it comes with a short top rail. Cost $420

To me, it's a matter of handling each one and then deciding which one you like the best. They all offer similar accuracy and the fun factor is high with each one.

If I could only have one, I'd likely be just as crotchety as ol' Rooster!

Good luck.

Last edited by CMG; 01-31-2010 at 00:35..
CMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:23   #8
gnepig
Remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
That's an odd assortment of choices. For the price of either of the first 2, you could get a few of the others.

After I got my Ruger 10/22 working, I swore I would never buy another Ruger: and I won't. BUT, in your situation, for the price of a Sig or SW, you could get a Marlin, a Savage, and a Remington. The Marlin, Savage, and Remington are better than the Ruger.

If you like a QC challenge, the Ruger is for you. If you just want to shoot, go with a Savage or Marlin. But if you want something unique, go with the Sig or SW.

I agree with Rooster, (unless I get one really really cheap) I will not buy another 10/22.
gnepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:46   #9
M2 Carbine

Quote:
I have all three, and apples to oranges.
That's what I told my friend.

Of the three if I had to make a choice it would be the S&W simply because it feels and operates like a AR. Mine had paid for itself in .223 ammo savings in a couple months.

The SIG is a very good rifle but SIG didn't include iron sights with the gun or even any bolt on rails for the forearm.

The 10/22? Everyone should own a 10/22.

I think you will be satisfied with whichever one you get.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:21   #10
Flipz

I am not looking for an AR trainer. Just a fun gun to shoot at the range while spending less on ammo.

Both the Sig and the S&W have the looks and performance I want so its really between them now.
The Sig having the metal upper makes me lean that way. And you can always order the rails that attach to the front handguards straight from Sig if you want. I don't care that it doesn't come with iron sights as I will be using a red dot most likely. Plus it doesn't use a proprietary mag. Black Dog made the magazines for Sig so any Black Dog mags will work in it.
I think I've just convinced myself that the Sig is the right way to go. Lol!
Now I know a lot of you AR fans would have said to go for the S&W since it looks and operates like the .223 AR. But that doesn't concern me. I just want a .22lr rifle that is fun to shoot and doesn't look half bad either.

I'm still open to suggestions and opinions. Please feel free to comment.
Thanks!
GSSF Member
Old 01-31-2010, 12:31   #11
CMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipz View Post
I am not looking for an AR trainer. Just a fun gun to shoot at the range while spending less on ammo.

Both the Sig and the S&W have the looks and performance I want so its really between them now.
The Sig having the metal upper makes me lean that way. And you can always order the rails that attach to the front handguards straight from Sig if you want. I don't care that it doesn't come with iron sights as I will be using a red dot most likely. Plus it doesn't use a proprietary mag. Black Dog made the magazines for Sig so any Black Dog mags will work in it.
I think I've just convinced myself that the Sig is the right way to go. Lol!
Now I know a lot of you AR fans would have said to go for the S&W since it looks and operates like the .223 AR. But that doesn't concern me. I just want a .22lr rifle that is fun to shoot and doesn't look half bad either.

I'm still open to suggestions and opinions. Please feel free to comment.
Thanks!
Can't argue with any of your reasoning, as I like my 522 quite alot!

Rimfire Forum
Rimfire Forum
Old 01-31-2010, 13:07   #12
chineseboxer

My S&W has been an absolute blast to shoot. After a couple hundred rounds it is flawless with most bulk ammo, It seems to like Federal the best. I put about 400 rounds thru it last week with one FTF. This was ammo malfunction not gun. Mags are fairly cheap as well.
chineseboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 14:42   #13
Darkangel1846

Well I went to three of my gun stors...two have gun smiths. I just asked which rifle have they had to send back the most. It seems that the Colt has a problem although it is the most realistic looking of them all. The rated the Sig and S&W as very good and leaned towards the S&W as the mags were cheaper. So I ordered the S&W and several mags, sure hope the murphy doesn't bite me on the butt.
Old 01-31-2010, 17:31   #14
Faulkner
Patriot

I have a GSG-5, S&W 15-22, and a Ruger 10-22. No experiance with the Sig. I like all three of mine, but if I could only pick one I'd stick with the S&W 15-22. Mine has been reliable, accurate, simple to field strip and clean, and easy to accessorize.

Rimfire Forum
Old 01-31-2010, 17:39   #15
dw_player

I own the Smith. I looked at the Colt didn't like it. Everything I've read post purchase said I made the right decision there.
I haven't shot the Sig. The only recommendation I can make is read about cleaning. I'm pretty sure I've read on here (somewhere?) that the Sig is bear to clean? Though I may be confusing it with the Colt.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.
Definately can't go wrong with the Smith though. Paid $389 for mine at a show.
If price doesn't matter then it's probably a wash. You will definately spend extra cash on the Sig for some type of sights.
Top Guns .357 Sig Club #118
Glock G32/G19/Sig P229 .40
S&W M&P 15-22
"Carpe Diem, Baby" - James Hetfield
dw_player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 19:33   #16
CMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw_player View Post
I own the Smith. I looked at the Colt didn't like it. Everything I've read post purchase said I made the right decision there.
I haven't shot the Sig. The only recommendation I can make is read about cleaning. I'm pretty sure I've read on here (somewhere?) that the Sig is bear to clean? Though I may be confusing it with the Colt.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.
Definately can't go wrong with the Smith though. Paid $389 for mine at a show.
If price doesn't matter then it's probably a wash. You will definately spend extra cash on the Sig for some type of sights.
The Sig 522 is easy to take down for cleaning.. the Colt/Umarex is NOT.

The latest S&W 15-22s come with threaded barrels and A2 flash hiders, making them look even better, IMO.
Old 01-31-2010, 23:14   #17
wingspar

The 10/22 is the cheapest alternative, and a great gun. I like mine. But, itís obvious you want the AR look, so if you are interested in the Sig, Nutnfancy spent a lot of time at the Sig booth during SHOT, and spent some time looking at the Sig 522. Here is his YouTube video. The 522 comes at about the 22 minute 30 second time in the video. Nutnfancy is long winded, but does good reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#p/u/6/Ow8ySAsrj9M
Old 02-01-2010, 00:07   #18
Flipz

Oh trust me, I watched the video he did at the Sig booth. Im just waiting for him to put up the review he did on the 522 that he talked about in the video. Ive checked his page and its not up yet.
I went to the range today and checked out the Sig. I didnt get to shoot it as they dont have it as a rental, but I got to handle it and check it out. It feels very solid. The bolt operated very smoothly. Fit and finish was great. Just overall looked like a very well put together gun.
I think I may be buying my first Sig.
GSSF Member
Old 02-01-2010, 01:17   #19
wingspar

Try the search feature on Nutnfancyís main page. It seems like Iíve seen him do some shooting with the Sig. He probably hasnít done one of his ďTable TopĒ reviews on the gun yet, but I certain Iíve seen him shooting the Sig 522. He has so many videos, but his search feature works.
Old 02-01-2010, 18:07   #20
Flipz

I tried the search feature on his page but couldnt find anything. Wish he would post the table top review already,lol.
GSSF Member