Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2010, 19:32   #1
oneg

Bent Barrel

I bought an 870 tactical shotgun with the XS Ghost Ring Sights. I took it to the range and it shot slugs 10 inches high at 25 yards out of the box. I tried to adjust elevation but ran out of adjustment and was still shooting 6 inches high. I called Remington and they had me take it to a local authorized gunsmith for repair. He put a bore scope on it and confirmed it was shooting high and sent it back to Remington. I got it back the other day and the repair slip said they bent the barrel. I did not know you can bend a barrel to adjust accuracy. I have not shot it yet I hope it worked.
oneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 21:01   #2
aippi

New one on me. I would not accept a bent barrel back from them. I would demand a new one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 22:35   #3
B Coyote

Sounds like warranty dept. cheaped out you. I agree, call back and get a new barrel.

bc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

B Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 22:55   #4
Hawker Man

I live by Remington Arms Ammunition plant in Lonoke Arkansas and shoot at their trap/skeet/clays range periodical. The guy who runs the club house is a accomplished shooter and you should hear him describe the way to change the point of impact of a shotgun. It involves 2 rail road ties and a 25 pound bag of shot. He said some barrels stay bent and some go back to straight after an amount of shooting. He says it's just a tool, make an adjustment and get on with it.
Don't get me wrong, I would not want someone banging on my Browning Clays gun with a 25 pound bag of shot, but I guess he does have a point.
Tom
Hawker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 23:00   #5
Hawker Man

I think Savage runs all their rifle barrels on a bender, if it needs bent, they bend it, screw it on a receiver and sell it. I hear tell Savage rifles are very accurate out of the box.
Again, I don't own a Savage and I still don't want someone going after my shotgun barrel with a bag of shot.
Tom
Hawker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 23:22   #6
wonderwolf
Yay college

Send a message via AIM to wonderwolf
Its done by a process using a large arbor press like tool with rollers. they did this to help align barrels and straighten them out by hand at the factory. its nothing new its just a process. If you want to see if your barrel is really out of true then do this.

Take a unprimed hull (you will have to cut the hull back so that the crimp memory does not get in the way) and shine a flashlight behind it after its chambered and make sure its seated all the way. Now look for rings while looking down the business end of the barrel. you should see uniform rings...I doubt the factory would bend the barrel away from center line at all to fix the problem though stranger things have been done I'm sure. They might have done the ring test at the factory and discovered it was bent when you sent it to them. If thats the case then they did the right thing. Its a tool, it can be repaired without needing replaced aippi & B Coyote

I have a picture of the press in one of my gunsmithing books, If your really interested I can take a picture of it (no scanner here). Its out of "The modern gunsmith" by Howe dated 1934....I've got a signed copy hehe
(((((((Survival/preparedness club #629)))))
^^^^^^^Military surplus club #45^^^^^^^
*********WheelHouse club #2400********

Last edited by wonderwolf; 02-10-2010 at 23:34..
wonderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:00   #7
oneg

Thanks all for the replies, Wonderwolf I will try your suggestion if there is still an issue after shooting it. Also I found “The modern gunsmith" by Howe dated 1941 volume I & II online. I have been trying to dig out of the 40” of snow I got so I have not had time to look through it but it look like a great resourse.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
[URL="http://fliiby.com/file/34571/njz9evs5k7.html"]http://fliiby.com/file/34571/njz9evs5k7.html[/URL]
<o:p></o:p>
[URL="http://www.scribd.com/doc/3617809/the-modern-gunsmith-v2-howe-1941"]http://www.scribd.com/doc/3617809/the-modern-gunsmith-v2-howe-1941[/URL]
Old 02-11-2010, 16:30   #8
Dr. J Frame
LSWCHP +P

Magic circles-

Quote:
Take a unprimed hull (you will have to cut the hull back so that the crimp memory does not get in the way) and shine a flashlight behind it after its chambered and make sure its seated all the way. Now look for rings while looking down the business end of the barrel. you should see uniform rings.
Off topic, but this sounds similar to a method used for checking for a bent archery arrow. Remove the broadhead or field tip and look inside the shaft with the nock pointing towards a light source. The nock will collect light and become a source itself. A straight arrow will show perfectly round circles down the inside of the entire shaft(I don't know where they come from.). Even if you flex the shaft a slight amount these circles become very unconcentric, or if it's bent to begin with.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:02   #9
wonderwolf
Yay college

Send a message via AIM to wonderwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. J Frame View Post
Off topic, but this sounds similar to a method used for checking for a bent archery arrow. Remove the broadhead or field tip and look inside the shaft with the nock pointing towards a light source. The nock will collect light and become a source itself. A straight arrow will show perfectly round circles down the inside of the entire shaft(I don't know where they come from.). Even if you flex the shaft a slight amount these circles become very unconcentric, or if it's bent to begin with.
How do you do that with wood shafts?
(((((((Survival/preparedness club #629)))))
^^^^^^^Military surplus club #45^^^^^^^
*********WheelHouse club #2400********
wonderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 13:19   #10
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
Or with opaque nocks, or without having to remove the insert. Whole lot easier to run the arrow across rollers or roll it across an appropriate surface.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 19:56   #11
Dr. J Frame
LSWCHP +P

Hmmm?
Quote:
No need to check. They're probably already bent. It only works with modern insert & outsert nock-type shafts. But closed-end, tapered style are rarely seen in pro shops anymore anyway.

Or with opaque nocks,
Non-translucents usually work also. Even with natural sunlight on cloudy days. We had long threads on this at ArcheryTalk. Its actually a very accurate, tested method.

or without having to remove the insert.
You leave the insert in. Most designs have a tiny hole.

Whole lot easier to run the arrow across rollers or roll it across an appropriate surface.
Not in the field or on the range, where it's usually deployed.
Old 02-12-2010, 20:34   #12
a_tack

I bend the barrels on all of my tactical weapons so I can shoot around corners.....
Old 02-13-2010, 01:04   #13
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. J Frame View Post
Hmmm?

Ya got me on having rollers in the field. I'll have to check your method out, never heard of it.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 22:32   #14
EKUJustice

What kind of slugs were you shooting? Low Recoil slugs tend to shoot higher than Std velocity
EKUJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 19:15   #15
oneg

It was Remington 2-3/4 slugs I bought at Wal-Mart, I think the box was marked 1550 FPS. I did take the gun to the range yesterday. It was still shooting a bit high at 25 yards, about 2 inches. It could be that the gun I sighted in for 100 yards. When it gets warmer I will take it to an outdoor rang and shoot it at 100 yard with a variety of different slugs.
Old 02-25-2010, 13:40   #16
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tack View Post
I bend the barrels on all of my tactical weapons so I can shoot around corners.....
The Nazis had a bent extension for the MP40.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:05   #17
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Bending shotgun and rifle barrels is done all the time! Its standard procedure at most any factory for barrels that aren't straight. I sometimes bend the barrels on the muzzleloading fowlers and rifles I make when they won't shoot to point of aim.

There's nothing wrong with this procedure. Most of you would be shocked to know how many barrels are "trued" up in a bending jig at the factory before its assembled and shipped.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote