Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-13-2010, 18:43   #1
dc2integra

how often do you guys clean your shotguns

how often do u guys clean the barrel of your shotgun .And how often should you take apart the hole gun for a complete cleaning.a
dc2integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 18:52   #2
Jon_R
Silver Membership

I shoot mine at 3-Gun once a month ~50-75 rounds. After the match I run a bore snake through it and pull it apart once a quarter. Assuming the weather was good. If I run it in the rain then I clean it up afterward.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 19:05   #3
Ljay
Micky's Packin

About every 75-100 rounds or so I take everything apart, the receiver and mag tube, I don't think its necessary after 3-4 boxes But I enjoy doing it,

I don't worry so much about the barrel as long as it doesn't get wet inside as I do the choke tubes, and threads,, All of my shotguns now have choke tubes,

My rifle barrels are a different story They are scrubbed every 20 rounds of so,
Ljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 19:43   #4
angels and glocks

I clean mine after every shooting session. Shotguns are really easy to clean, IMO.
angels and glocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 22:55   #5
B Coyote

After every shooting session or monthly, whichever comes first.

bc
B Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 17:34   #6
Aceman

Boresnake after every session.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 17:40   #7
Faulkner
Patriot

Rifle, pistol, shotgun; they all get cleaned after every session.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:49   #8
David Armstrong

I like to give mine a good, detail-strip cleaning once a year. Other than that, I'll occassionally run a snake through the bore or scrub the bolt area if it gets grungy. Nothing wrong with cleaning a lot, but I don't think it necessary for most guns.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 00:06   #9
Norcal911

I haven't cleaned my 870 marine since I bought it in 1994. I usually shoot less than 1,000 rds a year through it. I did spray some Remoil into the action once, does that count? I'm not joking either. I take good care of my AR's and Sigs, but I don't do much to my Glocks or 870's. I'll clean my work 870 once or twice a year, only because stuff is growing on it, not because its not working. I guess if I had a fancy shotgun I'd clean it but I can't think of a firearm more reliable than an 870-Norcal911
Norcal911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 00:47   #10
bambikilr

funting rifles, after i check zero, then after season, if they got wet, a wipe down...shot gun, maybe after the hunt, or with in a few days...black powder, after everytime shot...had guns, after every shooting session...safe queeens, a good wipe down 3 or more times a year...just depends on what i wanna admire
bambikilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 00:48   #11
bambikilr

sorry for the spelling...it's late & just trying to wind down
Old 02-16-2010, 12:29   #12
Devin459

I clean my shotgun every time I shoot it. Reason being is because every time I shoot it i put at LEAST 50 rounds, and when I'm shooting clays I use cheap low brass 7 1/2 to 8. It always leaves a muck in my barrel(almost stringy) so I like to clean it after every shooting session. If not the same day I do it the day after. It is a thorough cleaning of both the barrel, receiver, bolt and slide. I clean it dry and then re oil everything. About once a month I will pull out the trigger assembly and check for gunk. Not only will this keep your gun in top condition for the remainder of ownership, it is also relaxing. It is also a good way to catch any type of rust before it gets bad. This is just me, I know plenty people who never clean their guns, or only do it a couple times a year. IMO that is not enough if you plan on keeping your gun for a reasonable length of time, but some shotguns are plain maintenence free(in a sense). A lot of it depends on the ammo you're using, and the environmental conditions you are shooting in. Hope this helps. BTW a hoppes cleaning kit will do the trick.

Last edited by Devin459; 02-16-2010 at 12:34..
Devin459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 18:23   #13
captcurly

Clean it after each visit to the range.
captcurly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 20:29   #14
mixflip

I clean mine after every session. Its just a old military habit you could say? Sitting around a table full of parts, shooting the breeze was a way of life for many of my youthful years.

I guess a pump shotgun technically sends all its carbon down the barrel and there are no gas tubes or direct impingement star chambers to get gummed up with carbon...so you could technically go alot longer without cleaning a pump shotgun.

Now semi-autos are another story. I say just get in the habit of enjoying the down time of cleaning your guns. My little boy loves to help daddy so I feel I am building good habits with him and its time well spent.
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:17   #15
bambikilr

agree Mixflip, glad your bringing a new shooter in with knowing how to clean & i'm sure your teaching respect & safety...awsome
Old 02-18-2010, 21:15   #16
pmwglock19

I clean all the guns that I take to the range and use. Like doing it, keeps me familar with putting it together after cleaning.
pmwglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 21:25   #17
TACC GLOCK
SEMPER FIDELIS

Every time after I shoot them, shotguns, rifles, or handguns.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:59   #18
PlasticGuy

I think it comes down to a matter of purpose for me. My handguns are defensive tools, so I clean them as if my life depends on it. A few of my rifles fall into that same category and get similar treatment, but most just get cleaned enough to keep them working properly and shooting acceptably small groups. My shotguns are almost exclusively for fun and sport, and tend to get neglected more. I clean them when they look look really dirty or the action gets stiff or gritty, but don't normally worry about them unless they've been out in the rain or something.
Old 02-23-2010, 19:50   #19
varmint6

Send a message via Yahoo to varmint6
i clean em after the range session cant let em sit it makes me sick.
varmint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 20:36   #20
bikerdog

aside from a bore snake now and then I almost never clean my shotguns.
bikerdog is offline   Reply With Quote